1/48 F-14a - VF-111 Sundowners - Eduard/HobbyBoss (Pic Heavy)

Hi all!

Well after over 2/3 months of work I can finally and proudly present my version of a VF-111 Sundowners F-14a. This is my first ever RFI and my second 1/48 model. As you will see if you haven't been following my WIP I have opened up a good few panels and decided to put a lot of the model out on show. The kit is out of the box but the Eduard kit does include a lot of goodies such as the cockpit, wheels, exhausts and some PE. All this combined with some scratch built details and you have the below.

I hope you enjoy the photos...however I must apologies for the quality/angles/lighting. I do not have a photo booth/materials to create one, or the space for one so if you want to see anything in any detail that I may have left out just let me know on here and I will gladly take a picture and upload it! :thumbsup:

Ok so lets get to it.

General Overview:

IMG_20160815_191540.jpg

Top side:

IMG_20160815_191336.jpg

IMG_20160815_191431.jpg

IMG_20160815_191634.jpg

IMG_20160815_191722.jpg

IMG_20160815_191746.jpg

IMG_20160815_191840.jpg

From End:

IMG_20160815_191557.jpg

IMG_20160815_191602.jpg

IMG_20160815_191801.jpg

IMG_20160815_191831.jpg

IMG_20160815_191911.jpg

IMG_20160815_191938.jpg

IMG_20160815_192420.jpg

Underside:

IMG_20160815_191751.jpg

IMG_20160815_192008.jpg

IMG_20160815_192018.jpg

IMG_20160815_192028.jpg

IMG_20160815_192047.jpg

IMG_20160815_192052.jpg

IMG_20160815_192104.jpg

Other detail/feature shots:

Extended Wings

IMG_20160815_192214.jpg

IMG_20160815_192222.jpg

IMG_20160815_192243.jpg

Glove vanes:

IMG_20160815_192345.jpg

As always with my threads all questions, comments, advice, critiques or just a bit of chat is more than welcome and encouraged!! Always happy to share my train of thought and techniques with anyone who is willing to listen to me.

Thanks for looking!

Ian

Edited by Bernie Mac
  • Like 33

I am not particularly a fan of modern jets.

But here I have to say that I remain speechless when I see the level of detailing

and weathering (which I never do.)

I can only congratulate!

You really did a great job. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: Polo.

• Like 1

Thanks very much all! Its nice to get some positive feedback!

Wow! Just amazing! :goodjob:

How did you do the dirty bit around the cockpit where the pilots get in and out?

The main bulk of "grubbyness" was done with Tamiya pastels and then also some soft pastels. I tend to use a mix of both, but most of the heavy dirt was from the Tamiya pastels. In this case think it was set D and it was the oil stain. It gives a blackish scum where it is thickest as you spread it and brownish as it thins out. So I just used a mix or circular and downward strokes with the sponge and then a brush over it with some black pastel.

I didn't add any brown or mud as this is a carrier based aircraft and I can't imagine there is much mud at see so figured the boots would be grimey from oil and rubber and dirty rather than mud.

Ian

• Like 1

I like your model a lot and I am very impressed by the wear and tear you have given the aircraft. I know not every one is a fan of it but they get some use and show it. Here is a relatively new one that has been on the end of heavy use in mixed conditions

D28E0D62-C8C2-4F5C-83E1-B671B9804152.png

• Like 1

That looks great, suitably dirty, who doesn't like a Tomcat?! :goodjob:

Thanks Parabat! Decided to leave to leave the ordinance off, didn't think it needed it Wish I made the decision earlier so I would have detailed the hard points a bit more...they are very bland, but I think the engine helps detract from that minor detail.

I am not particularly a fan of modern jets.

But here I have to say that I remain speechless when I see the level of detailing

and weathering (which I never do.)

I can only congratulate!

You really did a great job. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: Polo.

Thank very much Polo, always nice to hear positive feedback from a non jet fan, helps make me believe I definitely did something right! :banghead:

I like your model a lot and I am very impressed by the wear and tear you have given the aircraft. I know not every one is a fan of it but they get some use and show it. Here is a relatively new one that has been on the end of heavy use in mixed conditions

D28E0D62-C8C2-4F5C-83E1-B671B9804152.png

Oh wow that's a great image! I have never seen a 5th gen in such a state...you may have started to put something in motion....just need to find a decent 1/48 Raptor for the stash now... :evil_laugh:

Thanks Parabat! Decided to leave to leave the ordinance off, didn't think it needed it Wish I made the decision earlier so I would have detailed the hard points a bit more...they are very bland, but I think the engine helps detract from that minor detail.

Not at all, I think that it really makes the engine bay detailing standout more than if it was loaded to the gunwhales. You could clip the missile mounting stubs off and have the rails clean. Nice touch on the variable position nosecone!

Hi Ian,

It was great watching you go through the process of construction, the engine looks great with all the details on show and your weathering is spot on, nice choice of markings too.

Wonderful work.

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks very much all! Its nice to get some positive feedback!

The main bulk of "grubbyness" was done with Tamiya pastels and then also some soft pastels. I tend to use a mix of both, but most of the heavy dirt was from the Tamiya pastels. In this case think it was set D and it was the oil stain. It gives a blackish scum where it is thickest as you spread it and brownish as it thins out. So I just used a mix or circular and downward strokes with the sponge and then a brush over it with some black pastel.

I didn't add any brown or mud as this is a carrier based aircraft and I can't imagine there is much mud at see so figured the boots would be grimey from oil and rubber and dirty rather than mud.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Never would have thought to use the oil stain from that set!

Greg

Edited by lordstrpe
  • Like 1

Great looking tomcat. The finish on it is jaw dropping. I had the privilege of working on the flight deck of the USS John C Stennis with these aircraft and you are spot on with the wear and tear. They are the by far the still the best aircraft to ever serve in the sky IMOP.. You do really great work, now I just need to get my hands on the new Tamiya F-14A ..

Outstanding!!

Dave

• Like 1