Herne bay incident

F4u

I see one of the Turbulant team had to make a ditching at Herne bay airshow after having a problem and from what footage is about he done a fantastic job as the pilot is safe and well, spectators helped to upright the aircraft and get the pilot out so well done to all, hope the CAA dont go over the top.

Guy

The 'Turb' will probably dry out and be up and about again I suspect As too will the pilot!

But I witnessed a nastier prang in 1968 of a Turbulent going in at very low level during a Tiger Club display at Shoreham. Pilot not so fortunate sadly.

• Like 1

Yes I don't think it will be long before the turb will be flying , that must have been a horrible thing to see at Shoreham, I have seen my share of aircraft accidents over the years at shows and they are not a nice thing to see.

Guy

Seawater on a fabric and doped wood airframe and instruments and a shockloaded engine? I think it might be longer than you think... ;)

Perhaps - but not in as poor a condition as a certain Dornier I can think of.

Glad to hear the pilot is ok. I saw the video and it looked like he did a good job but one can see the problems of ditching with a fixed undercarriage all too well

• Like 1

Everything is going to be overstressed, never mind the sheered off,bent and twisted bits and sea water damage. More than a little work needed there.

I'd give it to the night shift !

The great news is the Pilots OK.

For some strange reason, with all these discussions about repair, a certain episode of Faulty Towers involving an Irish builder keep popping into mind :winkgrin:

Glad to see that the pilot was OK.

Christian, exiled to africa