Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Beardie

How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

187 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
235 posts in this topic

Sounds like we have another convert :devil:

5 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

none in my stash yet, but i just sold my Fine Molds Millenium Falcon in order to pay for a couple... 

probably start with Keith Park's Brisfit. 

Hi Jeff.

Welcome to the cult of WNW disciples! Without knowing your individual experience of modelling, I understand from a few blokes who have built the WNW Brisfit that it is amongst, if not (the) most challenging kit in the range to build. If this proposed purchase is your first venture into WNW modelling and so as not to have  a disappointing first experience, why not try a Pfalz DIIIa or a Roland CII 'Walfische' which just about fall together Tamiya style? Also, the W12 which I am building at the moment is another incredibly engineered and great fitting kit.

Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Gary

1 person likes this

Hello, somewhat late to the party, but I have three - RNAS Pup, Bristol Fighter and the RE-8. All bought as reference material for Airfix kits of course!

Ray

6 hours ago, redcap said:

Hi Jeff.

Welcome to the cult of WNW disciples! Without knowing your individual experience of modelling, I understand from a few blokes who have built the WNW Brisfit that it is amongst, if not (the) most challenging kit in the range to build. If this proposed purchase is your first venture into WNW modelling and so as not to have  a disappointing first experience, why not try a Pfalz DIIIa or a Roland CII 'Walfische' which just about fall together Tamiya style? Also, the W12 which I am building at the moment is another incredibly engineered and great fitting kit.

Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Gary

Thanks Gary. It is not likely to be the first I build, just the first I buy. It's an old kit, and while WNW are showing a promising new interest in reboxing OOP kits, they don't include the same decals. #FOMO

The rigging on the Brisfit is insane, so deffo not my first WWI build. 

I'm definitely interested in the Wahflisch, especially since it comes with Eduard Ritter von Schleich's markings. I may do a DVII first. 

Hi Jeff.

Good luck with the builds mate. I cannot recommend too highly the Roland 'Walfisch' which was a marvel of kit engineering and a very simple rigging layout as well.

Best regards.

Gary

p.s.If you are building the DVII, watch out for the undercarriage unit which is VERY weak and prone to flexing and model 'wobble' unless well braced with fine steel wire or some form of functioning rigging like monofilament. Just take a look at WNW own kit build on their site 'kit turnaround' views to see the quite obvious 'lean' on the model due to the weight of the kit on the very fine under carriage parts.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, redcap said:

p.s.If you are building the DVII, watch out for the undercarriage unit which is VERY weak and prone to flexing and model 'wobble' unless well braced with fine steel wire or some form of functioning rigging like monofilament. Just take a look at WNW own kit build on their site 'kit turnaround' views to see the quite obvious 'lean' on the model due to the weight of the kit on the very fine under carriage parts.

I wonder if anyone has tried the white metal strut set? it should definitely be stronger but bendy. then again, sounds like the original is bendy. 

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

I wonder if anyone has tried the white metal strut set? it should definitely be stronger but bendy. then again, sounds like the original is bendy. 

Hi Jeff.

Don't bother with the S.A.C. sets if that's what you were considering. I bought one for the 1/32 Roden Alb DIII and the "metal" was actually soft pewter that bent alarmingly even whilst I was trying to clean it up. I never used it in the end and what a waste of money that was and they are not cheap either. The set was actually less robust than the kit's plastic parts! All the others I have looked at for WW1 stuff in their range seem to be the same so personally, I would simply use really fine steel wire (or similar) as the unit's rigging wires to brace it against the fuselage to keep everything solid.

If any other metal u/c sets for the WNW DVII other than SAC exist, then I cannot comment upon those.

Gary

1 person likes this

On 6/1/2017 at 2:24 AM, redcap said:

Hi Jeff.

Don't bother with the S.A.C. sets if that's what you were considering. I bought one for the 1/32 Roden Alb DIII and the "metal" was actually soft pewter that bent alarmingly even whilst I was trying to clean it up. I never used it in the end and what a waste of money that was and they are not cheap either. The set was actually less robust than the kit's plastic parts! All the others I have looked at for WW1 stuff in their range seem to be the same so personally, I would simply use really fine steel wire (or similar) as the unit's rigging wires to brace it against the fuselage to keep everything solid.

If any other metal u/c sets for the WNW DVII other than SAC exist, then I cannot comment upon those.

Gary

Yeah that's the SAC i saw. I've got a set for the P-3c in 1/72 i'm building (for my cousin, a plane he served on). i like them for this purpose.... but WWI birds are another thing entirely. I've seen strut crimping tools, i may try making new struts from metal (brass or steel, depending on what i can find around here) tubes. 

for now though i've officially got WNW in my stash. well not IN my stash, but paid for.

got a less-unreasonable-than-usual deal on the RNAS Pup through eBay (86 GBP). the RFC boxing is still available at USD 79 (GBP 61) through Weta (although the WNW site lists it as sold out). however, the RNAS boxing has the parts and decals to build the exact aircraft i want to build (the one Joseph Fall made ace in, it's on the box cover). . 

The pup won't be my first WWI build. Most likely i'll start with von Schleich's Wahlfisch (again, WNW boxed the exact plane i want). also definitely need Barker's Camel (in the Clerget Camel kit) and Barker's Snipe (not in the kti but i got the Pheon decals). 

for the DVII what i really want is Udet's DVIIF, which was in the original boxing. I'll probably have to do it by adding a BMW engine to the new boxing unless the new one drives down the extortionate Ebay asking prices... 

1 person likes this

a question for the WNW experts, hoarders, fanatics, and well.. winguts: 

the RNAS pup has an extra sprue. that is for the ship's pup, right?  i don't need that for Joseph Fall's Betty, do I? if not, i could get an RFC pup and build one as Fall's and one as the bird Dunning successfully took off and landed from a carrier. this would make me verra verra happy... 

i haven't seen her yet 'in real' but i'm already in love with my new RNAS pup. 

As far as I can see looking through my instruction manual for the RNAS kit the extra sprue(F) contains the parts for options E and F which are both 9901a versions with different fuselage halves, top wing, lewis gun on top wing.

1 person likes this