How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

On 8/25/2017 at 0:34 PM, posh boy said:

hi jeff k that answers a question I had,can you build a rnas pup from the rfc pup,is the only difference in dunnings machine if you choose that option.i have aviattics Italian pilot figure to go with a models nieuport 11 when I get round to it.fun times ahead.

yeah comparing the instructions, the RFC Pup will build into a RNAS pup, only Dunning's is different. That was my conclusion after going through the instructions. I was confident enough to buy one, and fully intend to build Fall's and Dunning's pups (both options for the RNAS boxing). 

RFC Pup arrived today. Pretty little thing. Weta shipped super fast, within hours of my placing the order. For me, being in Bangkok, ordering direct from Weta or WNW is by far the fastest and most cost effective option. 

I got the Pheon RNAS roundels. They're set aside, I'm having them wait to ship when the Camel aces sets are released. Picked up the McKeever Biff decals too, so that's my Biff. 

23 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

yeah comparing the instructions, the RFC Pup will build into a RNAS pup, only Dunning's is different. That was my conclusion after going through the instructions. I was confident enough to buy one, and fully intend to build Fall's and Dunning's pups (both options for the RNAS boxing). 

RFC Pup arrived today. Pretty little thing. Weta shipped super fast, within hours of my placing the order. For me, being in Bangkok, ordering direct from Weta or WNW is by far the fastest and most cost effective option. 

I got the Pheon RNAS roundels. They're set aside, I'm having them wait to ship when the Camel aces sets are released. Picked up the McKeever Biff decals too, so that's my Biff. 

well that's made my mind up as soon as I get the funds a pup it will be.here in England we have starling models they were doing the pup for £65 which I didn't think was too bad a price.i was looking on ebay and wnw kits are fetching stupid money.thanks again jeff k.

7 hours ago, posh boy said:

well that's made my mind up as soon as I get the funds a pup it will be.here in England we have starling models they were doing the pup for £65 which I didn't think was too bad a price.i was looking on ebay and wnw kits are fetching stupid money.thanks again jeff k.

that's pretty close to what you'd get on Weta or WNW, especially if you'd have to pay import duties. for me, ordering from the source is the best bet, because there is no WNW distributor at all in Thailand. both WNW and Weta are super fast and have great service. got the second pup from Weta and just ordered a DFW C.V, Airco DH.9, and FE2b (early) from WNW, at... HALF PRICE. 

WNW are having a sale, damaged kits are being sold off at half price. last i checked they've got the AEG G.IVs, the Rumpler C.Vs, the Airco Dh.9, the post war Ninak, the late FE2b, and the post war Ninak. i could be tempted by that post war Ninak into doing a Soviet or Chinese Polikarpov, but that would mean no food til payday. hmmmmmmmmmm but fasting's good for the health... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Grabbed the Duellists' Felixstowe & W. 29 kit on Ebay at a price less than WNW is selling them. Still a few left if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wingnut-Wings-1-32-Felixstowe-F-2a-Hansa-Brandenburg-W-29-High-Quality-32801/112385972280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Only one kit to go and my WNW buy list is complete.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:17 PM, iSteve said:

Only one kit to go and my WNW buy list is complete.

does that mean you've run the table, or only the kits you're interested in? 

i'm in the latter camp. i only need about 80 percent of the kits, and multiples of some... 

On 9/22/2017 at 03:42, Jeff.K said:

does that mean you've run the table, or only the kits you're interested in? 

i'm in the latter camp. i only need about 80 percent of the kits, and multiples of some... 

The latter as well - just one more kit I'm interested in getting. I do have a duplicate of one, due to a shipping issue with Weta, but that will be the one I'll start with first. It'll be my practice run :)

I just want to add a Roland C.II. to the stash and I'll be done.

Actually, there may be one more I'll add to the list. I'm considering the Stahltaube, but we'll see.

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2017 at 12:28 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks to the generosity of my evil overlords Jamie and Gill of Sovereign Hobbies I now have the Pfalz D.IIIa; it looks a beautiful kit :D

Cheers,

Stew

At least I won't tread into this madness alone, then. I seem somehow to have ended up with a Snipe, Bristol Fighter, and S.E.5a.

28 minutes ago, Procopius said:

At least I won't tread into this madness alone, then. I seem somehow to have ended up with a Snipe, Bristol Fighter, and S.E.5a.

Good choices those, mate, if I could have my pick I'd definitely go for the S.E.5a and the Brisfit, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Snipe either B) I hope you do a build thread, when the domestic madness has settled a little :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I am hoping that there will be trio kits of the Pfalz D.IIIa, SE5a, Tripe and Camel in the future. Can't have too many of those options. Not such a big fan of the Snipe although it was a lovely kit to build and I have another in the stash.

my stash has grown to 14. i don't have the one i want to build first yet though. i'll probably build the Wahlfisch first but only after i finish my 'curriculum' builds of other subjects to get my skills up (only recently returned to modeling). 

as for trio kits, i'd definitely love a Sopwith Tripe 10N set. that said, i'm going ahead and planning to do with Roden (and aftermarket fuselages). 

56 Squadron hissos would be awesome. 

i suspect we're unlikely to see either. Richard at WNW, in response to a poll, hinted that the Nieuport 17 would benefit from a 21st century tooling or something to that effect. a Cignones trio.... just sayin'... 

Well, as of today I have 8 ! 

I needed an excuse to buy one so my first was a post war Snipe to fit the 'Silver Wings' theme. That was last year and then it has been followed first by a DH9a - in the WD sale - then a post war Brisfit. Having got the bit between my teeth I then got hold of the Jasta 5 Green tails triple Albatros boxing and a Camel BR1 and most recently an RFC Pup. Now I'm looking for a Wolseley SE5a and a Fokker DVII. I can get hold of the 'Early' boxing easily enough but I don't know enough about the DVII to know if the 'early' is the shape I want or one of the other boxings. I think the best thing will be too read a few instruction sheets on the WNW website as its probably the fastest way to become educated!!

I'm very tempted by them but have a rather large stash of Roden 1/72 and 1/48 kits that I bought when they were all the rage with WWI modelling back in the early to mid 2000s. Need to work my way through them first before splashing out on the WNW's kits. Although I do admit that if they bring out a Viper SE I'd crumble in a flash and buy it!

Edited by Smithy
Spelling

13 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I can get hold of the 'Early' boxing easily enough but I don't know enough about the DVII to know if the 'early' is the shape I want or one of the other boxings.

it's my understanding that with the right engine sprue you can build any version. a friend of mine built his OAW DVII without touching the kit markings, and i want to build 4 of the 5 options in that boxing, so he's sending 'em to me. that's one way to go. 

you can also try ebay but if you're not patient and disciplined you'll pay waaaaay over the odds. if you're patient and disciplined you can score other boxings at slightly over the odds. 

With the D.VII's IIRC it is all about the engine cowlings and WnW can provide you with the neccessary sprue for any of the variations. Cheaper than hunting down the OOP kits. Pheon have a really good selection of Fokker D.VII scheme options to choose from as well.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 05:30, Simon Cornes said:

WNW collecting is an insidious addiction!! Great isn't it? !!

Indeed. I think I'm up to 10 planes in 9 kits. My wallet will breathe a sigh of relief when my last kit is bought.

• Like 1

Just got my third this week, with many thanks to Duncan at Black Mike models.

Bought a Roland D.V1b to go with my Sopwith Camel "Clerget" and an FE.2b (late).

Haven't started one as yet, am sort of saving them for a rainy day. Just not sure when that day will arrive. 

I do love to look through the kits and read the instruction manuals. Looking forward to my next one.

• 1 month later...

My dad and I have 10 WNW so far and intend to add 6 more. These being the scouts and two seaters.   We have also completed a number of Roden 1/32 airplanes.  At this stage we have not looked at the seaplanes or the 2 engine German bombers due to their expense.  Must buy that winning Lotto ticket soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, iSteve said:

I've been seriously thinking about the new Dolphin, but that would make 3 Sopwith planes I'd own and I'm striving for variety. Still, it's not my fault Sopwith made some nice planes.

Counterpoint: all your other Sopwiths are rotary-engined. Totally different animals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Counterpoint: all your other Sopwiths are rotary-engined. Totally different animals.

Good point!

And right now I can pick one up on sale for $108 CDN shipped. Sheesh, I was going to hold off on the purchases for a couple of months, but noooo.

Edited by iSteve
  • Like 1