How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

5 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

none in my stash yet, but i just sold my Fine Molds Millenium Falcon in order to pay for a couple... 

probably start with Keith Park's Brisfit. 

Hi Jeff.

Welcome to the cult of WNW disciples! Without knowing your individual experience of modelling, I understand from a few blokes who have built the WNW Brisfit that it is amongst, if not (the) most challenging kit in the range to build. If this proposed purchase is your first venture into WNW modelling and so as not to have  a disappointing first experience, why not try a Pfalz DIIIa or a Roland CII 'Walfische' which just about fall together Tamiya style? Also, the W12 which I am building at the moment is another incredibly engineered and great fitting kit.

Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Gary

• Like 1

Hello, somewhat late to the party, but I have three - RNAS Pup, Bristol Fighter and the RE-8. All bought as reference material for Airfix kits of course!

Ray

6 hours ago, redcap said:

Hi Jeff.

Welcome to the cult of WNW disciples! Without knowing your individual experience of modelling, I understand from a few blokes who have built the WNW Brisfit that it is amongst, if not (the) most challenging kit in the range to build. If this proposed purchase is your first venture into WNW modelling and so as not to have  a disappointing first experience, why not try a Pfalz DIIIa or a Roland CII 'Walfische' which just about fall together Tamiya style? Also, the W12 which I am building at the moment is another incredibly engineered and great fitting kit.

Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Gary

Thanks Gary. It is not likely to be the first I build, just the first I buy. It's an old kit, and while WNW are showing a promising new interest in reboxing OOP kits, they don't include the same decals. #FOMO

The rigging on the Brisfit is insane, so deffo not my first WWI build. 

I'm definitely interested in the Wahflisch, especially since it comes with Eduard Ritter von Schleich's markings. I may do a DVII first. 

Hi Jeff.

Good luck with the builds mate. I cannot recommend too highly the Roland 'Walfisch' which was a marvel of kit engineering and a very simple rigging layout as well.

Best regards.

Gary

p.s.If you are building the DVII, watch out for the undercarriage unit which is VERY weak and prone to flexing and model 'wobble' unless well braced with fine steel wire or some form of functioning rigging like monofilament. Just take a look at WNW own kit build on their site 'kit turnaround' views to see the quite obvious 'lean' on the model due to the weight of the kit on the very fine under carriage parts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redcap said:

p.s.If you are building the DVII, watch out for the undercarriage unit which is VERY weak and prone to flexing and model 'wobble' unless well braced with fine steel wire or some form of functioning rigging like monofilament. Just take a look at WNW own kit build on their site 'kit turnaround' views to see the quite obvious 'lean' on the model due to the weight of the kit on the very fine under carriage parts.

I wonder if anyone has tried the white metal strut set? it should definitely be stronger but bendy. then again, sounds like the original is bendy. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

I wonder if anyone has tried the white metal strut set? it should definitely be stronger but bendy. then again, sounds like the original is bendy. 

Hi Jeff.

Don't bother with the S.A.C. sets if that's what you were considering. I bought one for the 1/32 Roden Alb DIII and the "metal" was actually soft pewter that bent alarmingly even whilst I was trying to clean it up. I never used it in the end and what a waste of money that was and they are not cheap either. The set was actually less robust than the kit's plastic parts! All the others I have looked at for WW1 stuff in their range seem to be the same so personally, I would simply use really fine steel wire (or similar) as the unit's rigging wires to brace it against the fuselage to keep everything solid.

If any other metal u/c sets for the WNW DVII other than SAC exist, then I cannot comment upon those.

Gary

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 2:24 AM, redcap said:

Hi Jeff.

Don't bother with the S.A.C. sets if that's what you were considering. I bought one for the 1/32 Roden Alb DIII and the "metal" was actually soft pewter that bent alarmingly even whilst I was trying to clean it up. I never used it in the end and what a waste of money that was and they are not cheap either. The set was actually less robust than the kit's plastic parts! All the others I have looked at for WW1 stuff in their range seem to be the same so personally, I would simply use really fine steel wire (or similar) as the unit's rigging wires to brace it against the fuselage to keep everything solid.

If any other metal u/c sets for the WNW DVII other than SAC exist, then I cannot comment upon those.

Gary

Yeah that's the SAC i saw. I've got a set for the P-3c in 1/72 i'm building (for my cousin, a plane he served on). i like them for this purpose.... but WWI birds are another thing entirely. I've seen strut crimping tools, i may try making new struts from metal (brass or steel, depending on what i can find around here) tubes. 

for now though i've officially got WNW in my stash. well not IN my stash, but paid for.

got a less-unreasonable-than-usual deal on the RNAS Pup through eBay (86 GBP). the RFC boxing is still available at USD 79 (GBP 61) through Weta (although the WNW site lists it as sold out). however, the RNAS boxing has the parts and decals to build the exact aircraft i want to build (the one Joseph Fall made ace in, it's on the box cover). . 

The pup won't be my first WWI build. Most likely i'll start with von Schleich's Wahlfisch (again, WNW boxed the exact plane i want). also definitely need Barker's Camel (in the Clerget Camel kit) and Barker's Snipe (not in the kti but i got the Pheon decals). 

for the DVII what i really want is Udet's DVIIF, which was in the original boxing. I'll probably have to do it by adding a BMW engine to the new boxing unless the new one drives down the extortionate Ebay asking prices... 

• Like 1

a question for the WNW experts, hoarders, fanatics, and well.. winguts: 

the RNAS pup has an extra sprue. that is for the ship's pup, right?  i don't need that for Joseph Fall's Betty, do I? if not, i could get an RFC pup and build one as Fall's and one as the bird Dunning successfully took off and landed from a carrier. this would make me verra verra happy... 

i haven't seen her yet 'in real' but i'm already in love with my new RNAS pup. 

As far as I can see looking through my instruction manual for the RNAS kit the extra sprue(F) contains the parts for options E and F which are both 9901a versions with different fuselage halves, top wing, lewis gun on top wing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"well that escalated quickly." 

My stash is increasing fast. Unfortunately most are in upstate NY and I won't even see 'em til January. 

I now have: 
the Pup
A D.VIIF, which i scored on eBay for $132 plus shipping

a DH.2, which i scored from the same seller for $110 (this will NOT be an early build, i need to get good at rigging first)
and a Biff, sold to me by the guy i sold my Fine Molds Millennium Falcon to. The Biff, at least, is on its way directly to me. 

I still want a Wahlfisch for my first WNW build, but haven't bought one yet. 

A formidable force, especially considering the Fokker will be flown by one Ernie Udet, the Biff quite likely McKeever or Atkey, and the Pup, of course, Fall. 

this is necessary. i found a 1/32 machine gun in one of my potted plants. clearly we are under attack at my house. my cats are gallant warriors but they can't hold the stop line without air support. 

I would love to have some of these in my collection/stash. They are beautiful aircraft that are meticulously rendered. Sadly as i am on a severely strict budget due to disability. I have to admit they are well beyond my meeger $ budget to even consider. I have the same problem with 1/350 scale Capital ships. I would love to build those as well. If WNW would provide a discount range say something along the lines of Eduards weekend series. I might be more inclined to take a serious look at them. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 8:10 AM, Beardie said:

Hi all just thought I would post a little poll in regard of Wingnut Wings kits to try and get a handle on just how many Britmodellers are interested in and collect the Wingnuts kits and the reasons if you haven't got any.

Don't have any and never will.  Pretty much wrong subject matter (near zero interest), wrong scale and even if, ridiculously expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

just added the Albatros D.V boxing. got a fair price on eBay. should have just bought the decals and got the Jasta 5 reboxing. haven't seen it yet. already in love and will build 4 of the 5 markings (Rumey's candy cane looking kite, von Schleich's, another Udet Lo, and Kissenberth's flowery bird). 

just got my Biff. it's the first time i have eyeballed a WNW kit 'in real.' it's astonishing. really on another level from anything else i've ever seen. that said i shook the box. it assembled itself, but somehow refused to paint and decal itself. i'm annoyed. i'll have to start over...

• Like 1

Well I have the Jasta 5 boxing and it's ggggrrrreaatttt!!! I like it so much I want more of 'em and will be adding another two copies of the kit to the stash ASAP. I also have one  each of the original Albatros D.V boxings. A note on the Rumey version (If you mean the original D.V kit as it isn't included in the Jasta 5 boxing)  is that the kit doesn't include decals for the candy stripe and I think that will be dashed difficult to do in paint. I bought a copy of the FCM decal sheet which has Rumeys' machine including decals for the stripes which, I hope, will make the scheme easier to achieve.

• Like 1

I have half a dozen and feel very lucky. But what makes them even more special is that my wife insists at birthdays and Christmas I indulge myself with "one of those kits from New Zealand " . For the record they include Dh9a PW, Snipe PW , Triplane, SE5 , RE8. (bakers half dozen )!

hello all I brought my first wnw kit at shuttleworth Edwardian day the other week,its the new camel and started it almost as soon as I got home and its great its the first time I have tried 1/32 and they are not as big as I thought they might be witch is bad news for my wallet.:lol:

• Like 2

On 8/21/2017 at 0:47 PM, posh boy said:

hello all I brought my first wnw kit at shuttleworth Edwardian day the other week,its the new camel and started it almost as soon as I got home and its great its the first time I have tried 1/32 and they are not as big as I thought they might be witch is bad news for my wallet.:lol:

Yeah people hear 1/32 and start imagining huge, more modern birds but the actual aircraft were rather tiny. One thing I like about 1/32 is if you find a nice figure of your favorite ace to plant in front of his kite, you can actually see his face without a loupe!

I just acquired another Pup by the way. My second. That qualifies as a litter. It's the RFC Pup but I'm going to build it as an RNAS Pup. One will be Dunning's, that landed on the Furious, the other Joseph Fall. Sometimes WNW's markings choices are baffling (WNW SE5a comes to mind), but the RNAS Pup's are excellent. 

PS I got my 2nd Pup direct from Weta, they still had some left last i looked. 

Edited by Jeff.K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff.K said:

Yeah people hear 1/32 and start imagining huge, more modern birds but the actual aircraft were rather tiny. One thing I like about 1/32 is if you find a nice figure of your favorite ace to plant in front of his kite, you can actually see his face without a loupe!

I just acquired another Pup by the way. My second. That qualifies as a litter. It's the RFC Pup but I'm going to build it as an RNAS Pup. One will be Dunning's, that landed on the Furious, the other Joseph Fall. Sometimes WNW's markings choices are baffling (WNW SE5a comes to mind), but the RNAS Pup's are excellent. 

PS I got my 2nd Pup direct from Weta, they still had some left last i looked. 

hi jeff k that answers a question I had,can you build a rnas pup from the rfc pup,is the only difference in dunnings machine if you choose that option.i have aviattics Italian pilot figure to go with a models nieuport 11 when I get round to it.fun times ahead.