How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

I am looking forward to having at the new Fokker D.VII when it appears. I have held off even looking at my copies of the 'sold-out' D.VII kits for fear of making a mess of them. I think that all the Wingnuts may be 'perfect fit' but they are demanding of respect in the way you approach them, particularly, as Gary says, when removing the parts from the runners (or sprue if you prefer). You can't assume anything is a molding error or excess material and above all, take your time, study the assembly steps and diagrams carefully and make sure you have the process clear in your mind before taking the top off the glue. If you are ever really unsure of how something is meant to go together it is well worth dropping an email to Richard Alexander at Wingnuts. He answered my queries about the version of the Br.1 camel I am building at present in loads of detail despite not knowing me from Adam, not many manufacturers would give you that kind of service. :thumbsup:

Marty

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Beardie said:

Come over to the Dark Side :bandit: Resistance is futile. For me part of the beauty is the expense with each one being a careful and long considered purchase. It will take me a long time before I have caught 'em all so I won't end up buying loads of kits that don't interest me that much just because they were cheap and into the bargain those boxes all look rather pretty stacked neatly on my shelves awaiting their day in the sun.

Beardie still earning your commission? :whistle:

Lovely to meet you at Perth this weekend and thanks for taking time to talk to some of the guys who were browsing the Wingnut Wings kits while you were there, we all learnt something new.

17 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

Just bought one. I'm a big boy now. Got it from Blackmike models.

Plumped for the Sopwith F1 Camel "Clerget". I am officially excited now. 

Cheers, Mart.

Martin, thanks for taking the plunge, I won't be far behind you in having a go at my first Wingnut Wings kit (and it'll be a Camel too), that's how good a 'salesman' Beardie is :)

Your kit will be sent out to you today (Monday). Thanks for your custom and I hope you enjoy it (at least you know where to get good advice on your build (from my Wingnut Wings "technical Advisor" Beardie).

Duncan B

• Like 1

Hi Duncan, it was great to meet you and VP(Packaging) too.

I don't need commission to sing the praises of the Wingnuts they are cadillacs of the kit world :D and, I reckon also that, by promoting them, you show the other model manufacturers what constitutes a great kit. Hopefully  as time goes by and, if Wingnuts Wings continue to grow due to the support of the model kit buying public, the others will adopt the same approach for future releases.

I have seen the future of modelling the past and it is Wingnut Wings :idea::jabber::drunk:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

Hi Duncan, it was great to meet you and VP(Packaging) too.

I don't need commission to sing the praises of the Wingnuts they are cadillacs of the kit world :D and, I reckon also that, by promoting them, you show the other model manufacturers what constitutes a great kit. Hopefully  as time goes by and, if Wingnuts Wings continue to grow due to the support of the model kit buying public, the others will adopt the same approach for future releases.

I have seen the future of modelling the past and it is Wingnut Wings :idea::jabber::drunk:

Yes, I'd agree with that. If it wasn't for the Japanese kit invasion in the 1970's we'd still be gluing our pilot figures onto pegs that stick out from the inside of the fuselage sides with no cockpit detail whatsoever.

Duncan B

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Beardie still earning your commission? :whistle:

Lovely to meet you at Perth this weekend and thanks for taking time to talk to some of the guys who were browsing the Wingnut Wings kits while you were there, we all learnt something new.

Martin, thanks for taking the plunge, I won't be far behind you in having a go at my first Wingnut Wings kit (and it'll be a Camel too), that's how good a 'salesman' Beardie is :)

Your kit will be sent out to you today (Monday). Thanks for your custom and I hope you enjoy it (at least you know where to get good advice on your build (from my Wingnut Wings "technical Advisor" Beardie).

Duncan B

Thank you Duncan. I've had it sent to my work. So I'll be looking out the door at any van that pulls up. I am genuinely excited. I guess thats the great thing about this hobby. Can make a bloke feel young again. 

I'm more than sure I'll be using your shop again. Hope business is going well. Best wishes, Martin.

And thanks Beardie, for a little push into getting one 😀

• Like 2

I have 5.

An Albatros DV and SE5.a that are built, F2B and Camel in the stash and a Ships Camel under construction.

I do see a Felixstowe flying boat in the future.....but I don't know where it would go once completed!!

I was never into WW1 aircraft, let alone 1/32 scale until WNW started up, at the moment I want them all.......and then some!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Am just about to receive my second, many thanks to Duncan, bought an FE.2b late.

Blinkin' flip, have just downloaded the instructions, my God the rigging looks complicated.

Read a series of books last year mainly involving this aircraft and was staggered to hear of the front gunner standing up to fire backwards, and possibly falling out at times. Bloody heroes every one of those boys. 

• Like 2

Yup you are right there, Not many people would have the guts to stand up untethered and being buffeted about by the wind and risking certain death if you lose your balance.

It is a beautiful kit and, as with all rigging, time and patience are the key ingredients.

• Like 1

I've none in my stash.

Not really my scale ( he says ignoring the dozen or more 1/32 kits in his stash ). 

Not really my field of interest... well thats more lies as I got into WWI stuff a few years ago and now have substantial stash of 1/48 aircraft from that period.

Expensive. But certainly not over priced from what I've seen of the quality. Just hard for me to justify when I could pick up as many as three second hand 1/48 Eduard kits on ebay for the same price as one WNW kit, probably all bought from people who were selling off their 1/48 stash to buy WNW kits.

Couldn't make up my mind which one to buy. Eventually I thought I should pick up at least one simply as they appear to be some of the best quality kits ever manufactured.  As WWI aircraft aren't my main thing I don't really have a strong preference for any particular aircraft with the exception of the Albatros DV, but I've already got a dozen of those in 1/48. I finally settled on the Hannover CI.II as it kind of has everything you could want in a WWI biplane.

It then promptly sold out . 

So hopefully they will reissue it at some point. Officially they don't it seems.. ( I'm a bit confused about that ) but then again some such as the Junkers J.I have reappeared a few years after "selling out" so here's hoping. 

Well they don't say that a kit will never re-appear full stop. They say that it will never re-appear in the same boxing. As can be seen with the upcoming box of three, yes THREE :rofl: Albatros D.V/Va kits in Jasta 5 clothes the kit may well be made available again with a new twist.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2017 at 23:54, Beardie said:

Yup you are right there, Not many people would have the guts to stand up untethered and being buffeted about by the wind and risking certain death if you lose your balance.

It is a beautiful kit and, as with all rigging, time and patience are the key ingredients.

Hi Beardie, sorry I didn't reply earlier, have you made it? I knew it would be a bit complicated but the drawing of the rigging that's above and outside of the tail, made my head hurt. 

I love the instruction manuals, it's like you have to change your mindset to read them easily. 

I haven't started to make any of my two kits yet and dont know when I will. At the moment I seem to be happy to keep opening the boxes and having a good look. 

Hi Martin,

Nope I haven't actually built a Feetoobee yet although I have given the kit a thorough looking over. I have rigged two Eduard DH.2's in 1/48 scale which have a similarly 'interesting' setup. I am currently finishing a Sopwith Camel (Just a bit of tail rigging to do now) a Snipe (Just started rigging it) and a Roland D.VIa is getting preliminary paintwork at the moment. After those three leave the workstation a Feetoobee and a Fokker D.VII will be taking their place. :rofl: Rigging, especially with Prym elastic or EZLine is a pretty simple process even if it looks like a birds nest. The key is studying it all and figuring out which bits need done first. I wouldn't try to make or use turnbuckles on your rigging unless you really feel the need.  I would recommend a CA accelerator which you can brush onto the end of the line you want to attach, place a tiny drop of CA at the point where you want to attach the line and carefully take the end of the line to the desired spot with tweezers, it will grab almost instantly and then you can repeat the process at the other end. With elastic is just needs to be a little shorter than the gap it crosses and you stretch it to the point where it is to go.

Rigging isn't difficult if you plan thoroughly and take your time

Viking on Britmodeller did a superb build of the FE2b which is well worth having a look at . :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi Beardie, many thanks for your tips. Have just bought some accelerator as it happens. Think I'll have a go with various bits of plastic and angles before attempting the kits. I work as a signmaker and have access to all sorts of materials. 

I do have a question if it's ok to ask. It sounds a bit obvious and I suspect I sound like a rank amateur but do you tend to do rigging before or after painting?

Sounds like your a busy man with all those builds. I do love your enthusiasm. 

All the best, Martin

Hi Martin,

I leave rigging to pretty much last. If I was using my old technique where I drilled all the way through at one end and used monofilament line pulled taught then I would leave painting and decalling until last but, with the elastic thread there is no need to drill right through and therefore no need for tidying up exit wounds. The key is to a clean finish is to use as little CA as possible. I use very fine bits of wire, any thin wire will do, superglued into the end of bamboo skewers as CA applicators, sometimes a wee bend in the end of the wire helps with getting a dot of CA in the right place and, during a session of rigging I keep a little spirit burner going which I use regularly to burn built up glue from my wire applicators. If you don't clear this build-up the amount of CA you pick up gets steadily bigger until it will start flooding the place where you want it to go rather than just giving enough to stick the line down.

All the best Beardie (A.K.A Marty :rofl:)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Hi Martin,

I leave rigging to pretty much last. If I was using my old technique where I drilled all the way through at one end and used monofilament line pulled taught then I would leave painting and decalling until last but, with the elastic thread there is no need to drill right through and therefore no need for tidying up exit wounds. The key is to a clean finish is to use as little CA as possible. I use very fine bits of wire, any thin wire will do, superglued into the end of bamboo skewers as CA applicators, sometimes a wee bend in the end of the wire helps with getting a dot of CA in the right place and, during a session of rigging I keep a little spirit burner going which I use regularly to burn built up glue from my wire applicators. If you don't clear this build-up the amount of CA you pick up gets steadily bigger until it will start flooding the place where you want it to go rather than just giving enough to stick the line down.

All the best Beardie (A.K.A Marty :rofl:)

Thank you very much my friend :thanks:

• Like 1

On 2017-05-18 at 6:12 AM, Beardie said:

Well they don't say that a kit will never re-appear full stop. They say that it will never re-appear in the same boxing. As can be seen with the upcoming box of three, yes THREE :rofl: Albatros D.V/Va kits in Jasta 5 clothes the kit may well be made available again with a new twist.

Well that de-confuses me somewhat then , guess I should have read the small print.

How about a Snipe / Hannover CI dogfight double WNWs ?:idea:

On 2017-05-18 at 0:14 PM, Stashaholic Steve said:

The J.1 has never sold out Arthur.

Oh er well.. Just goes to show how confused I am . :shrug:

Thanks for your feedback gentlemen .

Hmmm not sure a Hannover ever fought with/was knocked down by/knocked down a Snipe.

As far as I know the Wingnut Wings dogfight doubles are designed to give you representative models of two specific aircraft which are documented as having been involved in a dogfight with each other.

A Brisfit resides in my stash, I'm ashamed to say, covered in dust.

I bought decals for Ross Smith's aircraft and thats as far as I got.

Too slow getting a RNAS Pup, thats one that would have fitted my collection especially

as 2017 is the 100th anniversary of Australian Naval Aviation.

22 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

A Brisfit resides in my stash, I'm ashamed to say, covered in dust.

I bought decals for Ross Smith's aircraft and thats as far as I got.

Too slow getting a RNAS Pup, thats one that would have fitted my collection especially

as 2017 is the 100th anniversary of Australian Naval Aviation.

Steve,

You could get a 2F1 Ships Camel to go in the collection, as they flung them off HMAS Australia, HMAS Sydney, HMAS Melbourne in 1918-19.

• Like 1