How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

I restrict myself to a finished model that fits in a glass bookcase so it's not covered by dust after a few years.  These are beautiful kits and I do built WW1 subjects but their huge size puts me off.  I wish they'd scale these subjects down to 1/48. 

I don't believe there is any chance that we will see a 1/48 scale outing from Wingnut Wings as I believe they settled on 1/32 as the smallest scale at which they could create kits with the level of detail they wanted and maintain a reasonable broad 'buildability' any smaller and sacrifies would have to be made or they would become solely the province of 'expert' builders.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cduckworth said:

I restrict myself to a finished model that fits in a glass bookcase so it's not covered by dust after a few years.

You are clearly very sensible and possess great self-control.

Most of us just see something we like, buy it and only worry about where it's going to go once it's built!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Beardie said:

I don't believe there is any chance that we will see a 1/48 scale outing from Wingnut Wings as I believe they settled on 1/32 as the smallest scale at which they could create kits with the level of detail they wanted and maintain a reasonable broad 'buildability' any smaller and sacrifies would have to be made or they would become solely the province of 'expert' builders.

I agree with Marty and given this is a (predominantly) ageing hobby amongst the membership, I for one would not even attempt to tackle a 1/48 WW1 model. If others can do all the rigging and turnbuckles etc in that scale - kudos - but too small for me I'm afraid. Even in 'big' 1/32, these WNW models (single seater scouts) are only about the size of a large 1/48 WW2 single seat fighter such as a P-47 or F4U anyway. Personally, I think 1/32 is the perfect scale for what were only very small aircraft to start with.

Gary

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our very own Black Mike is still cheaper though :speak_cool:

I have a feeling that, now many more outlets are carrying Wingnuts is going to mean that they are going to become 'Sold Out' faster.

Or a case that they weren't selling enough before and it was becoming a non-viable concern, even with Mr Jackson's help, and this is a way to sell, if so we may see longer production runs to get better returns on WNW outlay.

Hope so, as we may see more WW1 stuff and even later stuff appearing

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2017 at 7:28 PM, Col. said:

While I'm not particularly 'in to' First World War subjects I'm highly tempted by the WNW Snipe. If they ever move onto Interwar RAF stuff I'm in trouble though!

Post-War Brisfit, Post-War Ninack, Late Snipe, the latter two with some great Pheon decals available, and some apparentlt due for the Brisfit  - go on, you know you want to ... :wicked:

• Like 1

Bought my first one yesterday whilst visiting my parents in Lowestoft. 

I've always liked the idea of getting one, I'm an AFV and figure modeller principally, but seeing boxes of the things in Hannants caused standard impulse buying!!!!

• Like 1

I will have to have a go, I've been waiting for the Fokker Dr1, it will appear at some time.

Don't know what I will pick, they all look good, would like to see subjects from 1919 to 1939, WW2, is covered, yet a prototype of any the big guns would sell like hot cakes.

I love WW1 aircraft as subjects, but it's the brilliant way these kits Are presented that I like, Others, strangely have not followed suit 😇

One of the things I absolutely love about the wingnuts is the way the struts have keyed ends(on my first two anyway though I haven't studied my other kits in waiting as yet) that fit neatly into the wings/fuselage and are very positive meaning that I didn't even bother using my bi-plane jig with my last one (Snipe) and there was zero fiddling about like a demented octopus trying to get all the struts located in the top wing.

I have tried to buy one or two on eBay with no luck. I guess I could try harder.

I fell in love with the FE.2b after reading Griff Hoskers Royal Flying Corps series of books last year. 

Love the idea of just having a kit as much as making it. Just to read the booklet and stare at the bits would be great. I'm not sure I could fully do one justice but to make it as good as I can would be wonderful.

Maybe one day.

• Like 1

Well get in touch with DuncanB at BlackMike models and I am sure he will be happy to sell you your first Wingnut. The FE2b is a beautiful kit as are all the rest. Sure they are expensive but they really are value for money when you handle the box and ogle the plastic. If you don't build it you will be able to sell it again some time in the future for at least what you paid for it. So either a joy to build or an investment for the future.

• Like 2

Mr PDH - that's not a stash, thats a hobby shop! Envy!!

I normally build exclusively in 72nd but have been tempted by the wonderful WNW kits and have two, the RE8 and late Snipe.

RE has been started , and I'm about halfway through - just a wonderful kit but with very tight tolerances as others have mentioned.

I would be tempted by more if and when they start on the inter-war silver wing aeroplanes, especially a Fairey III, and all of the Seal/Baffin series and , be still oh beating heart, the Hawkers, single and two-seaters! I will be in my nineties when they make an appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2017 at 20:26, Beardie said:

Well get in touch with DuncanB at BlackMike models and I am sure he will be happy to sell you your first Wingnut. The FE2b is a beautiful kit as are all the rest. Sure they are expensive but they really are value for money when you handle the box and ogle the plastic. If you don't build it you will be able to sell it again some time in the future for at least what you paid for it. So either a joy to build or an investment for the future.

Thank you, sorry I didn't reply earlier. Was browsing that site the other day. Think I'll have another good look. I'm getting closer anyway. 

Cheers, Martin

• Like 2

Come over to the Dark Side :bandit: Resistance is futile. For me part of the beauty is the expense with each one being a careful and long considered purchase. It will take me a long time before I have caught 'em all so I won't end up buying loads of kits that don't interest me that much just because they were cheap and into the bargain those boxes all look rather pretty stacked neatly on my shelves awaiting their day in the sun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

Come over to the Dark Side :bandit: Resistance is futile. For me part of the beauty is the expense with each one being a careful and long considered purchase. It will take me a long time before I have caught 'em all so I won't end up buying loads of kits that don't interest me that much just because they were cheap and into the bargain those boxes all look rather pretty stacked neatly on my shelves awaiting their day in the sun.

Just bought one. I'm a big boy now. Got it from Blackmike models.

Plumped for the Sopwith F1 Camel "Clerget". I am officially excited now. 

Cheers, Mart.

• Like 2

Hi Tony

Don't be fooled by the absence of rigging mate as suggesting it makes the DVII an "easy" build; far from it. Compared to the others in the range that I have built it was quite complex in some parts especially around the engine panels getting it all to line up neatly and also the undercarriage will need bracing with fine wire or similar as it is so flimsy that unbraced, a significant 'lean' when on it's wheels is inevitable. A necessary consequence and concession of doing that unit 'in scale' I rather suspect? If it doubt, look at the rakish angle on WNW's own builds on their 360 degree 'turn around' website page. The (fok) version shows this best. 

Also whatever you do, don't mistake two 'nibs' - I do not know how else to describe them - as excess sprue (because that's what they look like) on the engine bearers where they mate-up with 2 holes in the radiator because if you do and cut those off, you will have all manner of problems trying to get the parts to all line up and fit together in the nose area. They keep the engine and bearers in line and also are weight bearing too. It's hard to explain without sight of the parts but look at them and pre-warned, all will be evident.

A big "thank you" to the maestro of WNW builds  our own "Viking" on BM for pointing this out when I did mine. 

TBH Tony, if you want a delight of a kit to build as a "first" in the range, you will not go wrong with their Pfalz DIIIa. It just clicked together with zero filler anywhere. Perfection in WW1 plastic IMHO.

HTH.

Gary

• Like 2