How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

I'd like to see them finish the World War One range before they move on to interwar. Still got so many aircraft to do. Sopwith Dolphin, FK8, DH.4, Vickers Gunbus, BE2c, Avro 504, Martinsyde Elephant, Handley Page o/100, Zeppelin Staaken, Roland D.II and many many more.

Now any of the Handley Page bombers or the Zeppelin Staaken would be absolutely magnificent.

• Like 1

I don't have any right now and we'll have to wait and see what the future offers. I only just recently became aware of this model line. I am thrillingly impressed by what I see. Unfortunately, many are sold out and I really am not interested enough in what they have left to pay the price they want for them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Your potted answers don't fit my current situation:

I have two:

• RNAS Pup because it is probably my favorite WWI type (along with Sopwith Tripe, but I missed the chance for the WnW one), and RNAS because I'm going to do it as "BOBS".
  • Snipe (late) because, while I've never much liked the type, when they announced it I was surprisingly enchanted with the idea of building the first real post-WWI RAF fighter (single-place, at least).  I was also very impressed with some of the engineering of the kit.

I'm also rather interested in the postwar BrisFit and (perversely) the DH.2 - the former in keeping with my "RAF after WWI" interest, and the latter in a sort of "Afraid of rigging?  Well, jump in the deep end!" idea.

I do think that 1/32 is about the right scale for the WWI fighters, but I only really want to do certain favorites from the WWI period.  I'd love to see them branch out into more British 20s/30s subjects.

Edited by gingerbob

I've got the Fokker D.VII (Alb) just because I had som WW1 figures from Modelkasten and I thought 'when in Rome' - which I wasn't - why not get the best and it's also got the least riggings to do! :winkgrin:

What can I say....? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

One built, the Sopwith Triplane.  Four in the stash: RE.8, Salmson (USAS), Post-war Ninack and Post-war Snipe.  On the wishlist: a DH9 amd (although the wallet and logic both say no) a Felixstowe.  Would love to see an Avro 504, but have my doubts as to whether they will ever do one.  Hope I'm wrong!

Mike C, if you ever do tackle the Felixtowe don`t try the removeable outer wings as suggested in the instructions , its not practical ! .

You would need two pairs of hands , that top wing is heavy also , when built as one section .

Kallisti , come on ! , you've already jumped in and got your feet wet , wade out a little further .

• Like 3

On 11/12/2016 at 11:23 AM, Kallisti said:

You missed and option:

None, because I have already built the DH2 and thats enough rigging to last a lifetime!

On 11/12/2016 at 7:03 PM, Don149 said:

Mike C, if you ever do tackle the Felixtowe don`t try the removeable outer wings as suggested in the instructions , its not practical ! .

You would need two pairs of hands , that top wing is heavy also , when built as one section .

Kallisti , come on ! , you've already jumped in and got your feet wet , wade out a little further .

DH2?  Can't think offhand of anything with more rigging than that.  Got the worst out of the way first.  Once you work out the best way for you to manage rigging, it gets a lot easier, and whilst I have to be in the mood it can be very theraputic.

Don, noted, thanks. 

I currently have four J1, W29, SE.5a and the RNAS Pup.  I've had more but sold the (FE2b, bristol figher, DH9a) not because I didn't want them but changing circumstances meant they were very unlikely to get built by me.  Of the four I have I'm still pondering whether to get rid of two more.

Just counted them up and gave myself a bit of a fright!

18 built. 18 waiting in the stash, & 1 under construction

(Oh, and the two I ordered for myself for Christmas on behalf of Mrs Viking ;), a Junkers J.1 and Albatros B.II.)

And now there are 6 Camels to consider....

WooHoo.......thanks to my darling wife I'm now the proud owner of a Roland C.IIa Late, and a Salmson 2-A2 / Otsu 1.

Everything about them oozes class......even the cardboard box they come in !

I'm one happy little boy today :D

Best wishes to everyone, I hope your Christmas wish lists are also fulfilled.

Cheers

Gaz

p.s. It'll be interesting to start out with a silk purse for a change....and try not to completely faff it up !  :lol:

Edited by kiwitrogg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just retired and have been setting up my man-cave for PC work, XBox and PC gaming and of course WW1 aircraft modeling.

The shelves are angled on support brackets into grooves in slot-board, which is normally for commercial/shop displays.  The shelf support brackets are angled such that the completed models can be seen, even on the top shelves.

mc1_zps0s6iy2rl.jpg
mc2_zpstb3xbc1n.jpg
mc3_zps1vrnavfr.jpg
mc4_zpsofoi95dl.jpg
mc5_zpswsrpzvow.jpg
mc6_zpspwvmo58h.jpg
mc7_zpsj2zxmfv3.jpg
mc8_zpsvozbjv14.jpg

• Like 4

Great mancave!

I am interested to know however how the angle of the built and displayed models doesn't (seemingly) put quite a lot of adverse structural strain and potential stress on the fragile kit undercarriage units? You must have pinned or secured them well and I would be interested to learn how you did it?

Congratulations on a great layout and for sharing the pics!

Regards.

Gary

On 24/09/2016 at 5:39 PM, Ratch said:

None. I've not seen a subject I want in a scale I want. I don't buy kits just because they're fashionable, they have to inspire me.

There is nothing I like better in modelling than WW1 subjects, but I have none, and have even rejected the offer of a free kit.

They are beautifully presented and moulded, mostly very accurate but...I don't do, or even understand models in 1:32.  My own hobby is to represent a real thing in miniature, and 1/48 or sometimes 1/72 are the sweet spot. WW1 aircraft don't have all that much detail. Blowing it up to 1:32 makes them look sparse and o my own tastes less skillfully done.

Now if WNW started making smaller scales I might bite, if the subject appealed. Otherwise, naaah.

Shane

I was happy to do 1/48 scale Eduard kits but I have to say that, having moved to 1/32 and currently working on my first Wingnuts kit, Sopwith Snipe (early), and having several Roden 1/32 offerings under my belt now, I have to say that there is plenty of detail to put in there. When you are actually sitting there, taking a pause, and looking at the completed cockpit it seems to me the best scale to do WW1 aircraft in. Getting all those nice bracing wires in, rigging up the control cables for rudder and stick (and actually having the cables/bracing wires be reasonably close to scale) and studying that sparsely poplulated but attractive wooden instrument panel I don't think they are lacking in detail at all. Plus it is a satisfying size to hold in your hand and run about the room making airplane noises :pilot: For me the smaller scales just don't cut it for WW1 aircraft now.

• Like 1