How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

I do think they are a real WWI enthusiasts kit as well as just great models. Sadly trading on this side of the world is very slow and you are lucky to see one or maybe two a week coming up on the bay. I really do hope that,as the finances allow, I will be able to locate at least one copy of each kit so that I can spend the rest of my natural happily sticking them together and studying the aircraft. I never cease to be amazed by these flimsy artistic creations that men willingly climbed into and threw around the sky.

• Like 1

Could I take advantage of this thread to request suggestions for a good first (& probably only) WnW buy? :hmmm:

I'm a Trackhead so all bi-planes look the same to me.....Thus the type doesn't matter all that much, what I'm really after is quality fit, ease of build and rigging that isn't too mindwarping. :coolio:

Sgt Squarehead.

The Pfalz DIIIa was tremendous and everything fitted perfectly and for a two seater with minimal rigging, the Roland CII (Early) which I am just in the process of finishing at the moment is also a Tamiya style 'click fit' build.

Don't be fooled by the Fokker DVII's (if you can get one!) lack of rigging as suggesting an 'easy' first build as I found it quite a challenging build; especially with the multi part nose panels needing to be lined up correctly, getting all the wing struts into position - thanks to 'Viking' on this site for his tips on how to do this better than the instructions suggest- and the incredibly fragile and prone to sagging undercarriage.

Truth be told, I have not heard of a 'bad' or 'poor fitting' WNW kit yet.

Buy and enjoy....you WILL be hooked into the range I assure you!

Gary

Edited by redcap
  • Like 1

I'm the only one with the whole range so far? Does that mean I'm an obsessive collector/builder?

I am only missing 2 in the range Chris (LVG C.VI, & AEG G.IV) neither of which for some odd reason do anything for me; so I am in no rush to aquire them ...but I am catching you up!

Gary

Edited by redcap

WnW finally tempted me to try WWI aircraft- and now I'm hooked, haven't touched 1/48 scale aircraft for 6 years or so. I was lucky to get started early and before I semi-retired, so had play money to spend and picked up nearly all the OOP kits (got surprised when the W.29 went OOP- it was too far down the buy list). I have 22 WnW kits in the stash with one built, one built and "accidented" (source of spares), and two in build. Yes, I intend to build them all, but know I probably won't live long enough to build them, the Roden, AModel and Hobbycraft kits to which this obsession led me.

Rigging: my first WWI kit was the WnW Pfalz D.IIIA. Rigging had scared me off, but turned out to be easier than I thought. I now enjoy it- which is scary- and it's nowhere as difficult as I had imagined. The group at http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/were a big help with advice and comments, too.

SGTSquarehead, Beardies suggestions are good. You may also want to look at the Junkers J.1 (minimal rigging- yes, there is some!- for the tail and a bit internally, should you wish to add it, and the model is big and impressive). There are fit issues with both the Albies and the Pfalz. Just make sure you don't get any paint/excess glue on the mating surfaces, particularly of the inner fuselages, engine bearers and cockpit assemblies, or you'll have "fun" getting the fuselage closed. Compared to Roden kits, or for that matter even Hasegawa WWII types, they are barely worth the mention

For first choice I'd go the Pfalz- nice schemes, little that needs "wood-graining" and it has several colourful schemes.

Dal.

Edited by Dal

I have more WnW kits than all the rest of my aircraft collection put together. WnW are responsible for my shift in interest from 1/48 to 1/32. I have most of the range (all except the Salmson and post-war British I think), but the real problem was a tendency to buy multiple copies of those aircraft I really like, (at the last count I had 14 DVIIs, 7 Pups and 5 W.29s, for example). When WnW first came out they were incredible value, so I bought lots of them. I'm now glad I did. If I remember correctly the single seaters were originally 59 USD and two seaters 79 USD, plus UK VAT on delivery. And between 2010-14 the GBP/USD exchange rate was around 1.60, peaking at 1.70 in mid 2014. Since then they have gradually become more expensive, as WnW increased their prices, the GBP/USD deteriorated and shipping charges have been introduced.

However, I never thought I would see a Felixstowe in 1/32 in my life time (I bought 3 instantly).That choice of subject, for me, was the high point of kit releases since my return to modelling 20 years ago. In my view, WnW have revolutionised the hobby. The kits are exceptionally well engineered (though still require care to assemble), have fantastic decals and instructions and the website has a wealth of reference material. They are not now the incredible value they once were. Indeed, they are actually now quite expensive given the GBP/USD exchange rate post-Brexit vote and introduction of shipping charges, but I hope they continue to produce kits of interesting subjects. A Short 184 and a Camel 2F.1 would be terrific, for example.

Edited by iang
  • Like 1

I have never really had much enthusiasm for WWI subjects but the arrival of the Wing Nut Wings range sparked some interest although I am one of those modellers put off by the whole rigging issue…..I'm just not convinced I can deal with it. That said, I decided to take the plunge a while back and initially opted for the Albatross D.V since I was tempted by both the minimal amount of rigging required, relative to some of the other aircraft types, and the great colour schemes and markings applied to these particular aircraft. I then decided to ensure I had a 'dogfight double' and have since added an SE.5A 'Hisso' to the collection since I would like to complete it in 74 Sqn markings, should I be able to find some in due course. As others have said they are superb kits that further enhance Peter Jackson's image as an absolute perfectionist. I will not buy any more, purely and simply because I have far too many other projects to work my way through.

• Like 1

I've got to admit that I'm a latecomer to the WNW party too - I was always in great admiration of the lots, especially how they were made in the hands of a fine modeller, but it all changed when my ex (in just about the only good thing she ever did for me!) bought me the Bristol Fighter. And then a former club member provided me with the LVG and another one, and it snowballed from there.

I've been quite lucky that I bought the OOP ones generally just before they went OOP - indeed, the RE8 was only a couple of days before, and mainly secondhand from eBay too. There's been a few decent bargains over the time, and a few lucky breaks - my Felixstowe and W29 Duallists boxing was in a water damaged box, so I was offered the deal for a very good bargain. I also found a W29 at a car boot sale of all places too for £15!

What a beautiful set of kits though. I fully intend to build ASAP, as I'm just getting a nice fuzzy feeling with WW1 subjects having just completed my trial Run with an Academy Nieuport 17 - a lot has been learnt, and a lot will be learnt in the future. But I can't wait to get delving into them...

Chris

• Like 1

I've got two of them.

The Bristol Fighter that I will convert to a Bristol "Jupiter" Fighter with new resin Bristol Jupiter engine. The other is a Pup which I want to convert to a Sopwith Dove if possible. A lot of work I know...

I'm also interested in the Albatros B.II, but can't afford it right now.

I would certainly buy a couple of Avro 504's if that comes to reallity.

Edited by Matave

I now know why they are selling out. It sounds like iang has been scooping them all up :angry::) Fifteen Fokker D.VII's jeez!

As to future releases, I am hoping that the Camel arrives soon and after that I would love to see an Avro 504 , Martinsyde Elephant, Sopwith Dolphin, Phonix, Aviatik Berg D.I, Lloyd C.V, Vicker Gunbus, Halberstadt, Hanriot, Spad XIII, Breguet and many many more.

When you actually think about it the marques to choose from in WWI aircraft are many and varied

Blimey Beardie, you're not after much are you??? :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

I'm not sure where they'll go after the Camel - I was thinking (hoping?!) Spads, but Roden have those covered? Either way, I'd better get saving. It's been very quiet on their release schedule this year, which is probably a welcome thing on balance!!

Chris

I don't know about the Spads as, to date, apart from the Salmson they seem to have stayed away from the French marques. A Voisin III would certainly be a challenge :mental: An HP 0/100 or 0/400 and Vickers Vimy would be good too to go head to head with the Gotha and AEG and then a Zeppelin Staaken would be an awesome model. Then you have the Sopwith Strutter, Brandenburg Starstrutter, Roland D.II, Etrich Taube and the BE.2c

Good lord there are lots and lots of WWI aircraft to do yet!

I have built and completed five -nearly six WNW kits so far.

I have another 7 at various stages of construction.

The quickest build took about three months - Hansa Brandenburg W-12, the longest is running at over two years so far.

My motivation is purely interest in WW1 aircraft, besides the fact they are very well researched and high quality kits.

WNW say they have many more projects in development but there is only one other subject I will buy from them, depending on whether or not they produce it- Halberstadt CII,

To do them justice, they really cannot be rushed and it pays to look at other modeller's builds online to help get the best results.

The WNW customer gallery serves as some good inspiration.

• Like 1

I only have the one, the Albatros (built) D VII kit, which I picked up at a second hand store for 25 NZ dollars! And a Matchbox Brewster Buffalo for $5.

WnW kits are seriously detailed and certainly set a benchmark for plastic kits in general. The decal options, etch parts and multiple sprues, as well as the instruction books - which rival in-print volumes in terms of detail make them rather special. It's no wonder they are expensive; the cost of printing those instructions alone will be high.

There are plenty of aeroplanes that they could do and personally I'd like to see a Caudron G.III or Voisin III.LA and a Sopwith Cuckoo, although the latter might be a bit obscure for most buyers.

I have two WNW kits the Plalz DXII which I have started and the Albatros DVa (OAW) waiting to be built. I bought the second kit on the strength of the first and the first was bought after I had seen a built version of the Plalz in real life.

I think the kits are the best I have seen or made, although I have not had a go at the newish 1/32 scale Tamiya kits (Spitfire, Mosquito, Corsair).

The quality of the whole WNW package is very hard to beat. Peter Jackson is a modeller who has produced the best models he can, along with the 1:1 scale reproductions. His teams research is very comprehensive, and has lead to a brilliant production and design companies in New Zealand. I would love to go to the annual air show they run too - but it is a long way

• Like 1

Not my cup of tea. Really looking forward to an accurate F-86A.---John

I wouldn't hold my breath for WNW - as that's who we are discussing - to do one mate! They probably won't do a 1/32 MIG 15 either.

Gary