How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

Hi all just thought I would post a little poll in regard of Wingnut Wings kits to try and get a handle on just how many Britmodellers are interested in and collect the Wingnuts kits and the reasons if you haven't got any.

I hadn't realized there was going to be a test..

I have none.

While I would in fact love to own a copy of every single kit they make,

A. I have neither the time nor the spare scratch

B. I can only get them online, which I prefer not to do

C. Where the hell would I put them?!

Okay, if someone were to give me a stack I could probably find the room...

None - they are the wrong scale for me. At some point I decided to stay away from 1:32 and sell what I had in this scale (except for a very few kits) - and not to buy anymore. For WWI I stay with 1:48. It is not that they are too large in shelf space it is just the wrong scale for my "collection".

But I admit: I have been temped quite often by Wingnut to change my view.

René

Personally I have 11 so far all bought this year and, although I haven't as much as opened a bag yet, I love them! They have to be the best kits of WWI subjects ever produced to date. I am currently building Roden 1/32 kits before going on to do the Wingnuts Kits which I am aiming to collect in the mean time. WWI aircraft is where my true affection lies. I would love to fly one :mental:

The reason I started this poll was to try and get an idea of just how in demand 1.32 WWI aircraft kits actually are. The impression you get is that they are 'crazy sought after' but I am now coming to suspect that Wingnut Wings have said they won't re-release 'Sold Out' kits because there simply isn't the demand. I am guessing that each production run is pretty much just big enough to pay for the cost of creating each kit and perhaps a little more to help finance the next kit in development. It would be great if they made them more affordable but that would require making larger production runs and there isn't the demand to make up for the reduced price.

I guess the moral of the tale is ' Get them while you can'. My big problem is that I am just too late in discovering them and have missed out on a few kits that I would really like to have in my collection. Namely the RE8, Sopwith Triplane, LVG C.VI, Hansa Brandenburg W.29, DH.2 and Hannover. Hopefully I will be able to catch these on the second-hand market at some point although I won't be paying cololectors prices. On the plus side, studying the Wingnut Wings website it takes two to five years for any particular kit to sell out so I should be able to grab copies of all the currently available kits.

• Like 2

I had several, Bristol Fighter, RE8. Ninack, DH2, all of which I sold on; I just couldn't face the rigging, I could probably have made a fist of it, but it would have probably looked a right dogs breakfast and let down the rest of the kit. I only have one, now, the Junkers J.1, guess why - correct, no rigging on that one. It's in my stash and will be built one day.

Benty I have built those myself and they were great fun but the Wingnuts are in a different league. Even the instruction book is a keeper full of info, photos and good instructions rather than cheap black and white paper which is often inaccurate and puzzling.

For a long time I sniffed at Wingnuts kits thinking that they were over priced and not for me but I have to admit that I was wrong. I can't deny that, if you are serious about your WWI aircraft they are brilliant. I doubt very much that, if Peter Jackson decides not to continue with the project or shuts things down for any other reason that we will ever see the likes of these kits for WWI subjects again.

593Jones, don't be afraid of the rigging it really isn't that hard although those who see your models will think you a superb chap to have done it. I have just started using EZ line as opposed to the invisible mending thread I used on my 1/48 kits and that is taking a bit of getting used to as it is VERY elastic and not the easiest to thread into the pre-drilled holes but saves drilling all the way through and then tidying up and painting the outer surfaces. I decided against the turnbuckles as I find them less convincing than a wee bit of silver paint on the EZ line to represent the turnbuckles.

None However I would very much like an RE 8 but its out of production and i have been unable to find one on ebay etc

If anyone has one to sell let me know !

The fabled RE8. I need one as well. Got an ad in the wanted section but nobody has bitten so far. I don't know why that one is so hard to find or so much in demand compared to the rest of the range. I did wonder if perhaps they made far fewer of that kit.

I would love to have one/some/ALL!!!.........but can't afford it at the mo,maybe a Christmas pressie to myself?

As you have quite a collection,which would you recommend??

Cheers

Andrew

I have 2. Both will be built. For my part, I consider 32th the ideal scale for WW1 scouts, as the real things are comparatively tiny compared to almost everything that came after (except Mr de Havilland's Moths, and similar types).

While I'd love to have several more types as well as a couple of repeat purchases, justifying the purchase price to myself given my current circumstances is beyond even my ability for self-delusion, so failing a sudden impossible lottery win (never bought a ticket, never will), the count of 2 is where the collection is likely to stay. Note that if I had sufficient disposable income I'd be on them like white on rice - the quality of the kit is well worth the price of admission IMO.

Beardie, I haven't entered your poll as I'm not sure where I fit... I have more than 1 and didn't buy them to try them out, as I knew they were quality, yet 2 is hardly a 'considerable number'. The dilemma is real. :D

• Like 1

Rob and Sgt Squarehead I have ammended the poll to add two new options ('would love them but not financially viable' and ' None but becoming seriously tempted) to fit your requirements and I think a few people may fall into these categories.

DreadedDrew it is hard to recommend one over another. They are all superb quality. Price seems to be dependent simply on the amount of parts the kit contains rather than anything to do with quality,

For awesomeness I have the Huuuuggggggeeee Gotha G.IV kit For ease of build I would go with the Junkers J.1, Roland D.II or even the now sold out but comes up fairly regularly on fleabay Fokker D.VII. All of which have minimal rigging. For technically tricky but outstanding looks when finished the FE.2b is a beauty for possibly the most beautiful aircraft of World War One then the Albatros D.V (any one although only the D.Va(OAW) is still available direct the other do come up on the second hand market). But basically I would pick whatever you like the look of and have at it. As long as you follow the booklet (more manual than instruction booklet) I reckon you will produce one superb model :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Could I take advantage of this thread to request suggestions for a good first (& probably only) WnW buy? :hmmm:

I'm a Trackhead so all bi-planes look the same to me.....Thus the type doesn't matter all that much, what I'm really after is quality fit, ease of build and rigging that isn't too mindwarping. :coolio:

• Like 1

If you like something with a bit of 'flash' I would go for an Albatros D.Va or Pfalz D.III. Not much rigging and it's easily achieved and they have some very nice decal options or the comical looking Roland C.II with it's curtained windows and smiley shark outfit and a dead easy wing assembly with minimal rigging. Can't tell you from personal experience as yet about fit but I have yet to read a review where fit has been poor.

• Like 1

No...............................not yet anyway. :winkgrin: I'm waiting to see what Christmas will bring.

I visited the impressive Great War Exhibition in Wellington (NZ) earlier this year, another project of Sir Peter Jackson's. They had a few WnW kits in the museum shop but I never gave them a second glance, I just wasn't interested at that time ! Something changed, and I tested my new found enthusiasm on the 2 Eduard Albatroses I posted last week, and now I think I'd probably nip over to the Weta shop and pick up a WNW kit next time I'm down in the capital.

I've been watching them sell on our local auction site this year where they seem to be selling like hotcakes to the same couple of buyers.

Gaz