FW190 A-8 'Brown 6' - 1/72 Airfix Starter Set - new photos added 22/8/16

FW190 A-8 'Brown 6'

WNr 175140, JG26, Melsbroek, Belgium, July 1944

Kit: 1/72 Airfix Starter Set

Extras: Tamiya tape seatbelts and EZ-Line aerial wire

Paints: Humbrol, Revell and Citadel acrylics all applied by brush

WIP: Here

This was my build for the FW190 GB and was in in fact my first build of a German aircraft. I mostly enjoyed the build although the kit itself did try to fight back at times. The fit is not great in places and I think that it really couldn't be considered a 'Starter Set'...........I think if this had been the first kit I had ever attempted it would probably have been my last. Full details of the issues I had can be found in my WIP here. I also had some issues with the paints I used - I tried Humbrol's RLM range for the first time but found them a little difficult to use compared to the other Humbrol paints I have used before.

29112931385_b263849113_c.jpg

29112929305_24ef242289_c.jpg

29080144856_eb8a521a5f_c.jpg

28825957680_c7a6a3eb97_c.jpg

28825960580_d147fc5b95_c.jpg

28825955210_29087770de_c.jpg

28494101333_123f0ec5b5_c.jpg

28494097363_33025c0b0a_c.jpg

28825945460_1eeec8099a_c.jpg

29112895885_bbf3221d52_c.jpg

29112890995_b31d59d5b5_c.jpg

29080099306_319b4ae7f0_c.jpg

I also took a lot more photos on my Spitfire display shelf:

29007723062_b786524cd1_c.jpg

29007711772_c04df103c7_c.jpg

28491327294_25dba14674_c.jpg

28491343644_cd4a04251d_c.jpg

29080308136_83d56683fd_c.jpg

29080297876_a99c94298e_c.jpg

29035616761_31ce6d2acf_c.jpg

29007681002_e0131c7c11_c.jpg

28491293594_ec65d412db_c.jpg

29007672632_a662d593f8_c.jpg

29080255976_89e06da1ff_c.jpg

29035582651_1d6a500c1e_c.jpg

28826103120_fa9738f62f_c.jpg

28491251534_e0d281e06c_c.jpg

......and a few of the above photos in B&W:

29077358321_2e51cb9876_c.jpg

29155511645_9b429d9c12_c.jpg

28868181380_618b7f70ab_c.jpg

Finally a big thank you to all the people who contributed to my build thread - especially Troy Smith who found me photos of the actual aircraft and offered advice about the necessary paints.........thank you Troy.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

EDIT: 22/08/16 Troy Smith spotted in my earlier photos that there was a problem with the gear doors - I had shortened the legs a touch but hadn't altered the doors. I have now corrected the problem and retaken the photos. As the light seemed better I have taken a few more which I have included above.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 37

Congratulations Stix. Very nice indeed.

And you're right, it shouldn't be the subject of a starter set. The old tool version would actually be more suitable.

I gave up wrestling with mine, and kicked it into touch (very satisfying!).

Interesting WIP thread too.

• Like 1

Great 190. I built the A-8 a few months back and despite it being a relatively new kit from Airfix I remember it being a bit of a pain in places, especially around the engine/cannon area - lots of filler required; looks like you've beaten it though! How did you attach the EZ-line to the canopy - it looks very clean? I've put off adding to mine as I'm nervous I'll wreck it!

• Like 1

Congratulations Stix. Very nice indeed.

And you're right, it shouldn't be the subject of a starter set. The old tool version would actually be more suitable.

I gave up wrestling with mine, and kicked it into touch (very satisfying!).

Interesting WIP thread too.

Hi Ian and thank you very much for your comments. Sorry you weren't able to finish yours - it was a bit touch and go with mine in places. It is a shame the manufacturers don't spend a bit of time checking whether kits are actually build-able by average people - especially those they put out as starter sets.

Great job Stix, especially for a smaller scale model! What do you use to get the background images?

Cheers,

Martin :thumbsup2::)

Hi Martin and thank you too for your comments. The background image was a on a copyright free image hosting site many years ago. I have looked for it since and cannot find it any more. I remember I put something like airstrip panorama into Google and this was one of several that were on this particular site - I have no idea what it was called now. This one turned out to be the most usable. It was a massive image which I worked on in Photoshop to tone down the colours and slightly blur it. I only ended up using about 3/4 of it because there were some distinct buildings on part of it. I got it originally to go behind my Spitfire collection but I now use it for quite a lot of my photographs. The image was printed out across 4 A4 sheets of paper which I laminated in matt laminating pouches.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Very nice `190, looks great

Thank you very much Russ. :thumbsup:

Lovely looking 190 Stix,great photo's as well....

Thank you very much as well Vince. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Great 190. I built the A-8 a few months back and despite it being a relatively new kit from Airfix I remember it being a bit of a pain in places, especially around the engine/cannon area - lots of filler required; looks like you've beaten it though! How did you attach the EZ-line to the canopy - it looks very clean? I've put off adding to mine as I'm nervous I'll wreck it!

Hello! And thank you for your comments. Yeah the fit is very poor in places - I'm glad you were able to finish yours too. I attached the EZ-Line by first of all studying quite a few photos to see where it was supposed to attach and realised that there was no distinct place on the canopy Airfix have provided. There is a sight ridge on the inside of the canopy which runs back from the front frame so I decided to attach the wire just behind it. I used a sharp sowing needle to make a small hole on the outside top of the canopy, directly behind where the ridge is on the inside. I then used a .3mm micro-drill, but in my fingers rather than in the pin-vice, to drill a hole right through where I'd used the needle. I find I have more control for delicate drilling if I turn the drill between my forefinger and thumb. Once I'd carefully cleaned off the burr on the inside, with the drill, I fed the EZ-Line through the hole so there was a couple of centimeters on the inside. Next I put a tiny amount of Super Glue on the very end of the inside length of EZ-Line. Finally I gently/'slowly pulled on the outside length of EZ-Line so that the Super Glued bit attached itself inside the hole. I have found Super Glue works really well with EZ-Line - almost giving instant hold.

Hope that is of some use. Please let me know if anything needs more clarification.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

very nice build of this iconic Luftwaffe fighter. like it!

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael and thank you very much for your kind comments.

I meant to include some of the photos that Troy found of how the actual aircraft ended up in my original post but forgot - so here they are now:

29014432356_a13afa1a11_z.jpg

29047602005_2459aedacd_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Hello! And thank you for your comments. Yeah the fit is very poor in places - I'm glad you were able to finish yours too. I attached the EZ-Line by first of all studying quite a few photos to see where it was supposed to attach and realised that there was no distinct place on the canopy Airfix have provided. There is a sight ridge on the inside of the canopy which runs back from the front frame so I decided to attach the wire just behind it. I used a sharp sowing needle to make a small hole on the outside top of the canopy, directly behind where the ridge is on the inside. I then used a .3mm micro-drill, but in my fingers rather than in the pin-vice, to drill a hole right through where I'd used the needle. I find I have more control for delicate drilling if I turn the drill between my forefinger and thumb. Once I'd carefully cleaned off the burr on the inside, with the drill, I fed the EZ-Line through the hole so there was a couple of centimeters on the inside. Next I put a tiny amount of Super Glue on the very end of the inside length of EZ-Line. Finally I gently/'slowly pulled on the outside length of EZ-Line so that the Super Glued bit attached itself inside the hole. I have found Super Glue works really well with EZ-Line - almost giving instant hold.

Hope that is of some use. Please let me know if anything needs more clarification.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the very detailed response... it had crossed my mind to drill through the canopy and connect it to the point just behind the seat but I have glued the canopy down now but then I suppose it would come up with gentle persuasion. I'll have a go over the next few weeks and then share the result! I'll make sure I put my ultra steady hands on that day :S

• Like 1

Very nice, it looks fantastic and your photos are very good, all very realistic. I have this starter kit courtesy of the recent Home Bargains Airfix deals and I'm quite looking forward to it. I'll definitely be using your excellent model and pics as a reference when I do mine. If it turns out even half as good as yours I'll be pleased.

Finnthedude.

• Like 1

Nice job Stix :thumbsup2:

Glad you decided to try your hand on a German aircraft and camo.

On the starter kit thing as far back as I remember when I "started" building kits I didn't have a clue what "fit" was so they might be safe!! :analintruder:

Looking forward to your next foray.

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

That came out real nice. Though to my old eye, WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft don't look right without the swastika on the tail.

Chris

Hi Chris and thank you very much. I do know what you mean about the missing swastika. Unfortunately Airfix don't provide one in the box and, as this is my first and only one of two German aircraft kits I own (the other being another starter set from Airfix) I don't have any swastikas in reserve. I did wonder about using masking tape to try and paint one but I found it a bit tricky to draw out accurately, let alone cut out. If I acquire some that are suitable in future I may well add them.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Excellent work stix and very nicely brush painted and weathered too.

Regards

Dave

Cheers Dave! That's very kind of you to say. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the very detailed response... it had crossed my mind to drill through the canopy and connect it to the point just behind the seat but I have glued the canopy down now but then I suppose it would come up with gentle persuasion. I'll have a go over the next few weeks and then share the result! I'll make sure I put my ultra steady hands on that day :S

Well I hope it goes well if you do decide to add it!

Very nice, it looks fantastic and your photos are very good, all very realistic. I have this starter kit courtesy of the recent Home Bargains Airfix deals and I'm quite looking forward to it. I'll definitely be using your excellent model and pics as a reference when I do mine. If it turns out even half as good as yours I'll be pleased.

Finnthedude.

Thank you Finnthedude. When you do get around to making yours have a check through my WIP (Here) as there are some issues with the kit - especially around the area in front of the canaopy.

Some more on Brown 6 as she was found late in the war, though some of the camo info might be a bit suspect.

Steve.

Hi Steve and thank you very much for the link - very interesting!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Well done mate :)

Cheers

Thank you Pawel! :cheers:

Nice job Stix :thumbsup2:

Glad you decided to try your hand on a German aircraft and camo.

On the starter kit thing as far back as I remember when I "started" building kits I didn't have a clue what "fit" was so they might be safe!! :analintruder:

Looking forward to your next foray.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce and thank you very much for your comments. Interesting point about the "fit" but I think for some this kit just won't go together at all!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Great to see yo win the battle over this difficult kit Stix,turned out a beauty in the end though,great job :thumbsup:

Hi Steve and thank you. Yeah it was a bit of a struggle at times but it went together okay.

Tomorrow I start work on some 1/48 WW2 German tanks in the MTO GB. Can't wait!! :bounce:

Kind regards,

Stix