"Hobbycraft" Sabre

Magua87

I've been looking for a Sabre kit to pair with my Highplanes CAC Sabre conversion kit. I came across this locally and ignored it at first.

iIhTUw2.jpg

After a bit of a google I could find nothing about the manufacturer. Doesn't help that I can't type Korean (I assume it's Korean). However, I did come across this boxing of a Hobby Craft Sabre. I don't think I can use it anyway as it has leading edge slats, but I'm curious. Now I'm wondering if the top image is a Hobby boss rebox. Or perhaps a subsidiary of theirs in another market. Any ideas?

i3zskvq.jpg

Edited by Magua87

I've never seen the style of box in the top picture but if the price is right I'd grab it.

Hobbycraft had their kits moulded in Korea and some of these appeared in other boxes. Today the Sabre is boxed by Academy... But not the Mk.6.

This box is indeed not suited for a CAC aircraft but the Sabre Mk.6 is a very interesting variant too, with several potential marking options

The manufacturer is Idea. I have the HC Canadair Tutor in an Idea box, and the source I bought it from in 2001 had a lot more ex-HC kits by Idea. HC had their toolmaking and moulding done in Korea, and it seems that a lot of it was done by Idea. They must have owned the rights to (some of) the HC tools, obviously. If the standard of decals in my Tutor is anything to go by, the Idea Golden Hawks decals will likely be to the same standard as my HC Golden Hawks sheets - abysmal...but the plastic is rather nice.

IIRC, the HC kit depicts a Sabre with the slatted 6-3 wing. I think you could use the HC wings for a CAC Sabre Mk 31 0r 32 if you fill in the panel lines for the slats. The CAC Mk 30 used the standard slatted, narrow-chord wing without the wing fence. Can't remember offhand if the conversion got the speedbrake location and shape correct, but don't forget that they droop when deployed, which a lot of models and modellers alike fail to depict correctly. If I missed anything, wait a mo' and I'm sure Tony E will log on and set us all straight!

Mike

Oops- almost forgot; if you do use the HC wings, don't forget to add a fence on the upper wing at about 2/3 span!

Edited by 72modeler
  • Like 1

Today the Sabre is boxed by Academy... But not the Mk.6.

Academy boxes the Mk6 and calls it a F-86E

Can't remember offhand if the conversion got the speedbrake location and shape correct, but don't forget that they droop when deployed, which a lot of models and modellers alike fail to depict correctly.

I doubt that IDEA has changed anything concerning the speedbrake shape. One thing to watch out on these Sabres is the location of the big

nose gear door. Some boxings have it mounted on the RH side when it should be on the left(port).

Cheers, Tony

Academy boxes the Mk6 and calls it a F-86E

Tony, I was aware that the F-86E box had a wrong wing for the type (slatted but with 6-3 chord like the Mk.6 wing), do you know if this box also include other parts specific to the Mk.6 like the sugar scoops ?

None of the HC or Academy kits have the sugar scoops. The only ones with them but in resin is the 1/48th one by Hiplanes. This is the 48th one that Academy do.

Tony, I was aware that the F-86E box had a wrong wing for the type (slatted but with 6-3 chord like the Mk.6 wing), do you know if this box also include other parts specific to the Mk.6 like the sugar scoops ?

As Paul mentioned, no.

Sugar scoops were installed in mid '58 to both Orenda powered Mk5s and 6s.

Canada had replaced all their Mk5s in Europe by then and sent some to W Germany.

AMS resin does scoops in 1/48 & 1/32, I had to vacuform my own in 1/72.

Cheers, Tony

IIRC, the HC kit depicts a Sabre with the slatted 6-3 wing. I think you could use the HC wings for a CAC Sabre Mk 31 0r 32 if you fill in the panel lines for the slats. The CAC Mk 30 used the standard slatted, narrow-chord wing without the wing fence. Can't remember offhand if the conversion got the speedbrake location and shape correct, but don't forget that they droop when deployed, which a lot of models and modellers alike fail to depict correctly. If I missed anything, wait a mo' and I'm sure Tony E will log on and set us all straight!

Mike

Oops- almost forgot; if you do use the HC wings, don't forget to add a fence on the upper wing at about 2/3 span!

I think you're right about the wing. Looks like it's the larger wing, but with slats.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/f86epreview.htm

http://www.blindbatnews.com/2011/10/kit-bashing-heller-fujimi-hobbycraft-f-86-sabre-kits-compared/8203

I could probably build some wing fences. The link below is useful for panel lines. Do we know the dimensions of the fences?

http://i.imgur.com/BfTKsuI.jpg

Do we know the dimensions of the fences?

all in 1/72

5.8mm long x 1.6mm high at the rear. Located 52mm from a/c centreline. As thin as you can make them.

This graphic was scanned at scale, see if it comes through in scale;

WingFence_zpsde1flwk8.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1

You can use the slatted wing for the first prototype and next 22 Mk.30 machines as they had a slatted wing, this was changed to the Hard Wing and they were re-designated Mk.31

P180-Sabre.jpg

If you ignore the fact the kit's slatted wing is the wrong chord. Hard to spot in 1/72 scale.

Tony

Is it quite a small difference? The hobby craft slatted wing looks to be very similar if not the same in dimensions as the Fujimi f-30 wing.

Is it quite a small difference? The hobby craft slatted wing looks to be very similar if not the same in dimensions as the Fujimi f-30 wing.

A HobbyCraft slatted wing and the F-30 hard edge wing are the same size. It is actually a Sabre Mk6 wing. A real narrow chord slatted wing is narrow by 6" at the root & 3" at the tip.

No injection kit offers that wing except for the matchbox 'A' or the two kits of the 'D'.

The CAC Mk30 had a narrow chord slatted wing.

Tony

It is easy to ignore the chord difference in 1/72

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1