modelling minion

My entry for this GB is going to be based on the venerable old 1/48 Monogram AH-1S Cobra, which despite it's age and raised panel lines is an accurate representation of this classic gunship.

Here's a picure of the box top followed by one showing the contents still sealed in the original plastic bag.

DSC03435_zpstkfqnt82.jpg

DSC03436_zpsv8oa1aoq.jpg

And here is the decal sheet I will be using from Two Bobs.

DSC03437_zpshueyzxpk.jpg

And a close up of the option I will be using for the decals for my build.

DSC03438_zps8skdkfb2.jpg

Not that I intend to be finishing it like this, I've found something much more unusual, this one!

AH-1%20Snow_zps9plqdtaq.jpg

Gotta love that temporary winter camo!

I hope to make a start on her this evening and I am really looking forward to the build, there are already some really good models being built for this GB I hope mine grabs your interest as well.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 9

Ha ha, nice try Aaron! No I am not building all 3 Cobras for this GB, for one thing I only have the one kit and for another I'm also supposed to be building for the MTO GB which starts on Saturday.

Yes it is a 3 tone camo though, and was very nearly my choice for this GB but the temporary snow camo won out. I will definitely be building it in the future.

• Like 1

Thanks David.

I know egg-beaters aren't your cup of tea but at least it's quite "pointy".

Not much work done yet, I have applied a coat of Tamiya NATO Black to the cockpit parts ready for detailing and detail painting. Now I just need some quality "not knackered after work" time, hopefully Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1

My entry for this GB is going to be based on the venerable old 1/48 Monogram AH-1S Cobra, which despite it's age and raised panel lines is an accurate representation of this classic gunship.

Here's a picure of the box top followed by one showing the contents still sealed in the original plastic bag.

DSC03435_zpstkfqnt82.jpg

DSC03436_zpsv8oa1aoq.jpg

And here is the decal sheet I will be using from Two Bobs.

DSC03437_zpshueyzxpk.jpg

And a close up of the option I will be using for the decals for my build.

DSC03438_zps8skdkfb2.jpg

Not that I intend to be finishing it like this, I've found something much more unusual, this one!

AH-1%20Snow_zps9plqdtaq.jpg

Gotta love that temporary winter camo!

I hope to make a start on her this evening and I am really looking forward to the build, there are already some really good models being built for this GB I hope mine grabs your interest as well.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

ahhhh, the famous JGSDF short rotor blade version

Ha ha, nice try Aaron! No I am not building all 3 Cobras for this GB, for one thing I only have the one kit and for another I'm also supposed to be building for the MTO GB which starts on Saturday.

Yes it is a 3 tone camo though, and was very nearly my choice for this GB but the temporary snow camo won out. I will definitely be building it in the future.

i might have some photos ,-)

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 2

Short rotor? The AH-1S in JGSDF still used the Kaman 747 blade.

it was actually an ironic comment. Get it now?

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

Just to prove that I haven't just been looking at pictures of the real thing and of other peoples interesting builds here is a (rather large) update of what I have managed to do so far.

All of the cockpit parts are straight from the box and are a testament to the Monogram designers and mold makers of the time as they are excellent. They are both accurate and have enough detail molded on which just needs bringing to life with some dry-brushing. Now I am not saying that I am the greatest at this by any margin but I am happy with the results, lets have a look at them before assembly.

The gunners instrument panel.

DSC03441_zpsxywkok5u.jpg

The pilots instrument panel.

DSC03440_zpsdiujh58v.jpg

The cockpit tub.

DSC03442_zpsi7yg3dxj.jpg

And the seats.

DSC03444_zpsvxuyxcit.jpg

All these go together to make up a perfectly acceptable cockpit and fit together quite well. Here are some pictures of the completed cockpit assembly from different angles.

DSC03449_zpssduvaqnp.jpg

DSC03450_zpszlcafz3v.jpg

DSC03451_zpsf8rlr5fr.jpg

DSC03452_zpsxvgcm9vb.jpg

DSC03453_zpsqnklvcw9.jpg

DSC03454_zps6af8q6mv.jpg

DSC03455_zps7hizemgj.jpg

DSC03456_zpswmtltvzn.jpg

Phew! Quite a few there, sorry about that.

The engine and transmission are also built up from 2 parts and are again perfectly adequate for this, especially as you can see next to none of it once the fuselage halves are joined together. Here it is built up and painted.

DSC03457_zpshdskicdk.jpg

And a close up of the area around the intake of the engine which has again only been dry-brushed.

DSC03458_zpsnhwasfvm.jpg

One part of the kit which has been left un-detailed is the mesh on the side of the fuselage which covers where the engine sits, on the kit you just get a hole like this...

DSC03459_zpsbw5addkf.jpg

Not being happy with this I had a bit of a "Nigel" moment and reached for the brass mesh! Not perfect but this is how it looks now....

DSC03462_zpswlbiyl5h.jpg

With the cockpit and engine assemblies complete they could now be added to the fuselage. the engine has a nice positive location but the cockpit is a bit hit and miss but I think I've got it right.

DSC03463_zpsupbh2wdm.jpg

The fuselage halves have now been joined together and I think some filler might be required, but that's for another day!

Thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Glad to see you start Craig and what a start. The pit looks fab. I see this kit is from 1986, so two years younger than me but it looks in better shape; quite nice moulded details there and you've certainly done them justice. Had to look again as I thought the buckles were PE.

Great start!

• Like 1

hi Craig,

You have the technique well and truly mastered, don't belittle yourself. It is really great and as above, i too thought the belts were photo etch. They have even moulded two different layouts i notice.

what did you use for the hot(?) exhaust area as it looks real?

Keep going

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

Glad to see you start Craig and what a start. The pit looks fab. I see this kit is from 1986, so two years younger than me but it looks in better shape; quite nice moulded details there and you've certainly done them justice. Had to look again as I thought the buckles were PE.

Great start!

Thanks Aaron, I have been really keen to make a start on this and last weekend was the first chance I got without work/tiredness getting in the way so I kind of went for it and save posting anything until Sunday evening. Like I said Monogram have done a great job on this kit and the seats are no exception, they are much better than a lot of more modern and much more expensive kits.

I'd say you have pretty much got dry brushing nailed Craig, beautiful painting, the IPs are something else! The life you bring to the parts with this alone really is impressive, wish I could do that! :popcorn:

Thanks David, I am perfectly sure you could get the same results if not better. In fact get hold of one of these beauties and have a go yourself, you can pick them up quite cheaply secondhand and they really are good kits.

hi Craig,

You have the technique well and truly mastered, don't belittle yourself. It is really great and as above, i too thought the belts were photo etch. They have even moulded two differnet layouts i notice.

what did you use for the hot(?) exhaust area as it looks real?

Keep going

Andy

Thanks Andy, Yes the seats do have different moulded details which is a very nice touch and both come with their respective seat heating system (the tubing which is connected to the rear right hand side of them).

The hot end of the engine was painted Aluminium first and then was weathered using Tamiya weathering pigments which have a grease colour and a burnt blue and coppery colour which are blended onto the area.

Brilliant cockpit and superb painting skills on show. :goodjob:

Thanks Nigel, as I said above an awful lot of the credit has to go to the Monogram designers.

• Like 2

Excellent stuff. You're setting the benchmark high for this GB!

I like the way you have fitted the PE mesh into the grill. Very tidy.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks David, I am perfectly sure you could get the same results if not better. In fact get hold of one of these beauties and have a go yourself, you can pick them up quite cheaply secondhand and they really are good kits.

Believe me I have tried after seeing your builds this last year but I always seem to make cockpits look 500 years old when I dry brush things, nothing like your efforts. In an attempt to try and learn how you do it, which paint do you use and also I guess you use a really fine brush? Just looks awesome Craig, set the benchmark for this one already, no pressure :D

• Like 1