This is my first RFI as a newbie member of the forum.

When I decided to get back modelling I picked up a few cheap and basic kits to practice on with a view to trying out at least one new technique with each. In this instance the goal was rigging but I ended up trying out a whole lot more.

Despite the age of this kit it was a real pleasure to work with and it's whetted my appetite for more!
I've already started on the next two 'practice pieces' from the (rapidly expanding) stash.

As I intend building another, more detailed, Swordfish in the future this one was was built in the radar equipped (pic 3), rocket toting, Mk III guise.

WIP is >HERE<

28355720714_0e09b25225_b.jpg
Swordfish RFI 1
by Martin Fay, on Flickr

28358473993_dfbac60aea_b.jpg
Swordfish RFI 2
by Martin Fay, on Flickr

28942517096_1c2d8ae12f_b.jpg
Swordfish RFI 3
by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Any feedback, criticism and advice welcomed!

While researching for the build I found myself intrigued by the aircraft, the missions it was involved in and the men that flew them.

As a result I've ordered copies of "The last Torpedo Flyers" and "War in a Stringbag" to learn more on the subject.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 36

Nice work. I think you've done a very good job on the rigging. I've always shied away from it, which is why my Gladiator and Swordfish remain unbuilt!

Criticism and advice? Maybe rub some of the seam lines down a bit more - on the tyres, for example?

Ian

• Like 1

Nice job! Try few different rigging methods, and see which works best for you. We all have our own preference....I prefer to drill through the wings but it does mean you have to plan a little better re the finish....

Ian

• Like 1

Lovely work Martin. If you haven't got it already, Ray Sturtivant's volume 'The Swordfish Story' is an excellent reference to have as well, on many levels. Good luck with your next build!

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments and likes chaps. Much appreciated.

Nice work. I think you've done a very good job on the rigging. I've always shied away from it, which is why my Gladiator and Swordfish remain unbuilt!

Criticism and advice? Maybe rub some of the seam lines down a bit more - on the tyres, for example?

Ian

Thanks Ian. You're absolutely right. There are a few areas that could have benefited from better prep, be it sanding or filling. I didn't even notice the flaws until I took the pics and reviewed the closeups. Time for a better modelling light and new specs I think! :)

Nice job! Try few different rigging methods, and see which works best for you. We all have our own preference....I prefer to drill through the wings but it does mean you have to plan a little better re the finish....

Ian

Thanks Ian. I have a Spad XIII in the stash that's a likely candidate to give this method a try. It seems the most popular so there's probably a good reason for that. I'll just have to research the best way to fill and refinish the holes without destroying the paintwork.

Lovely work Martin. If you haven't got it already, Ray Sturtivant's volume 'The Swordfish Story' is an excellent reference to have as well, on many levels. Good luck with your next build!
Tony

Nice tip Tony, cheers. I found a hardback copy available from the Hospice shop and have ordered it. Supports a good cause too so it's a double win. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

That's a cracking build and finish Martin,I have a stalled build of the same kit just needing the rigging in full D-Day stripes

this has pushed me into finishing it!

• Like 1

Great looking build.  The old matchbox kit builds up nicely with a little work.  I use EZ line for rigging, but practice with different methods and find one that works for you. Looking forward to more builds 

Edited by invidia
I can't spell!!!
  • Like 1

Welcome back!

What a great return to the hobby :)

How cool...love the Stringbag!

Is the Revell kit a re-release of the old Matchbox? Invidia seemed to allude to that.

If it is.....double cool lol!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I think you've done a top job there.

Apart from the occasional aerial wire, I have steered clear of rigging, so I admire your work.

One day I will build that Fujimi 1/72 "Pete" kit and tackle the whole rigging thing. 

Hope I can pull it off like you have with the Swordfish.

Well done!

:clap2:

• Like 1