1/24th Willys Jeep

Ripaman

That is a very nice selection of airbrushes Richard, i use three Badgers (Krome, Extreme Renegade and Renegade Velocity), a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution and a Paasche Talon set for grounding and large surface coats. I recognize the home made thinner mix, tried that about a year ago I think, works very well too.

The weathering on the jeep is gorgeous, just right IMHO,

;)

• Like 1

Hello,

the final result for the Jeep ... painted and weatered ... is really super nice !! The fine details you added with your scratchwork are a great upgrade of the original kit.

I wish I could do the same ... thanks for the informations you gave about your method and tools, maybe one day I'll make the leap ;)

E

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 11:44 PM, Gremlin56 said:

That is a very nice selection of airbrushes Richard, i use three Badgers (Krome, Extreme Renegade and Renegade Velocity), a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution and a Paasche Talon set for grounding and large surface coats. I recognize the home made thinner mix, tried that about a year ago I think, works very well too.

The weathering on the jeep is gorgeous, just right IMHO,

;)

I had a Badger Renegade Series Rage and had nothing but problems with it, so went and bought the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity and really like painting with it, the other two are Iwata one is the Custom Micron CM-C and the other Kustom HP-TH Trigger Model K9200 which is brilliant for primer painting.

For my first time with weathering (have done panel lines on 1:48 scale planes) using Ultimate wash, some AMMO, and True Earth which I find are really good it came out better than I thought.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:21 AM, Etienne said:

Hello,

the final result for the Jeep ... painted and weatered ... is really super nice !! The fine details you added with your scratchwork are a great upgrade of the original kit.

I wish I could do the same ... thanks for the informations you gave about your method and tools, maybe one day I'll make the leap ;)

E

Hi Etienne thanks for your kind post, Willy's Jeep is coming together and do hope you take up scratch building, it is one part I really enjoy even though I do take a long time to do.

Regards

Richard

Added some more detail, made the windshield out of plastic polished it the best it could be before sticking it in, then added the back frame work, then put the wipers on.

SfA7Xb.jpg

rmwGAK.jpg

For John (Bullbasket) made the engine crank handle :whistle:, tried to start the engine :mental: but alas it would not start :banghead:this will go in its right place behind the back seat.

wSxy7T.jpg

eL5a2t.jpg

Added the spare tire and belt to hold gas tank down, then added the small chain on canopy tube, also glue the rubber seal to the bottom of front wind shield, used shrink tube, last painted the shovel and axe still need to tie them down.

7jTheU.jpg

D1Tl9V.jpg

dlxPez.jpg

0gwPPp.jpg

Just the seat cushions and canopy to make and add a few small items and it will be complete :fingerscrossed:

1BQ0Q3.jpg 

33cuVy.jpg

Kg5LFf.jpg

PcxdoF.jpg

6dvBtL.jpg

xDmzmk.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ripaman said:

but alas it would not start

WHAT :analintruder:

My illusions are shattered..............:winkgrin:

Really coming to life now, beautiful.

One point, the windscreen looks tooo clean perhaps a clear arc iwo of wipers? Or am I jumping the gun?

Kev

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ripaman said:

For John (Bullbasket) made the engine crank handle :whistle:, tried to start the engine :mental: but alas it would not start :banghead:this will go in its right place behind the back seat.

...and I was so looking forward to breathing in CO !

This is the second time in a week that I've run out of superlatives, so I'll just say......brilliant.

John.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2017 at 12:04 AM, longshanks said:

WHAT :analintruder:

My illusions are shattered..............:winkgrin:

Really coming to life now, beautiful.

One point, the windscreen looks tooo clean perhaps a clear arc iwo of wipers? Or am I jumping the gun?

Kev

Thanks for looking in Kev, yes it needed some dust on the windshield, hope it is not to much :wonder:

UZwHW9.jpg

On 2/1/2017 at 5:52 AM, Bullbasket said:

...and I was so looking forward to breathing in CO !

This is the second time in a week that I've run out of superlatives, so I'll just say......brilliant.

John.

Thanks John, it is looking like a Willy :like:

On 2/1/2017 at 5:58 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Looking forward to what you have created as a canopy, more or less the final challenge Richard. It does look as if you could climb in , start up and take off in it though,

:smile:

Canopy up next Julian just finished the seat cushions, still a couple of other small items to add I do like the look of it.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:13 AM, PlaStix said:

Wow! This has been an impressive project. Brilliant modelling! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Awfully nice of you to say Stix, thanks very much 

On 2/1/2017 at 9:20 AM, FrancisGL said:

Your Little boy looks fantastic!!!, very nice details when watch him...:popcorn:, cheers Richard

Yes the little boy is getting closer to the finish line.

Well tonite it is -27C with a wind chill factor making it minus -36C  :chilly: enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey

Well got the seat cushions made, did them out of plastic card, one more item ticked off

bTGJWR.jpg

2nkivx.jpg

ypNLL0.jpg

c39Zbd.jpg

YSf2mL.jpg

fUkqbG.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 4

On 2/6/2017 at 11:57 PM, longshanks said:

Looking like a working jeep, great progress

Kev

Thanks Kev, have a picture of one close to a Typhoon (which is being worked on somewhere in France) and it looks even dirtier than mine.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:21 AM, PlaStix said:

As Kev says above - that looks like an actual jeep which is a real credit to your modelling skills! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Really appreciate that Stix

On 2/7/2017 at 6:15 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Beautiful job once a again Richard, the plastic-card cushions look good enough to sit on :wink:

I think they look the part Julian, glad you like um,  not sure if I over did it on the weathering but I am sure they would not have been clean very often

On 2/7/2017 at 9:44 AM, FrancisGL said:

Go cold ... :cold:and I do not feel like modeling because I have 14ºC in the room (without heating, of course ... lol) ... the seat cushions look great, they look like they really ...

Wish we had 14C would be wearing a T shirt :nod: tonite it has gone down even lower now it is -30C and with the wind it says feels like -39C

On 2/7/2017 at 3:29 PM, stevej60 said:

Outstanding work Richard.

Thanks very much Steve :like:

On 2/7/2017 at 3:43 PM, Carius said:

Top job indeed.

Getting there Carius

Had started to look at the canopy and had started with this paper which I bought to make sails on my wooden ships but I was wondering how I was going to stretch over the round tube??

ULMBYI.jpg

b0S05w.jpg

So I made a wood plug of the shape of the canopy, so that I could cut and glue 

8fNg5u.jpg

d6gDvN.jpg

hKZvR1.jpg

Then I had an idea :think:  why not vac form it,

Ts16vn.jpg

vsRtWi.jpg

3uspGM.jpg

Turned out not to bad, will add bits here and there then paint it.

eoRnML.jpg

gP6cJS.jpg

ZtCMez.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

On 2/8/2017 at 12:00 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Magic, sheer magic, just love it Richard :yes::yes::yes:

Thanks Julian, this was canopy number two now onto number five :doh:

On 2/8/2017 at 12:03 AM, longshanks said:

Neat solution :goodjob:

Kev

I see on your build you have some neat solutions which I will use someday :whistle:

On 2/8/2017 at 1:13 AM, beefy66 said:

That cover looks great pretty neat machine you have there Richard 

Beefy

Hi Beefy it is a handy vac machine has a base of 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" got it from Micro Mart (In the USA) back in 2013

IMG_1183_zpsfhg7hw9k.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1184_zps9bk1pczm.jpg[/URL]

It has some great pulling power.

vsRtWi.jpg

Did not like my first couple of attempts, they had something wrong so I went back to my pictures to see what it was 

B23NhC.jpg

So found out there was a need to change the way the back was, so out came the file and I reshaped the wooden block

8jOnPy.jpg

eBIuiF.jpg

ktJDTK.jpg

So now I think I have the shape as close as I can get it, what do you think? :think:

LgW2rr.jpg

BHX6Z7.jpg

fpa8KQ.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

7 hours ago, RichO said:

Nice fit!  Looks Good.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Magic !

Well not really, just hard work that looks the biz

Kev