1/24th Willys Jeep

Ripaman

On 01/03/2017 at 7:03 AM, Ripaman said:

Thank you very much Julian, screwed up on the painting of the canopy, :sad: so out came the oven cleaner, removed what I had done now it is back getting primed again :smile:.

Holy S**t  I would probably have serious mojo block as well Nigel, glad you were able to put it back together again, man you spent alot of time on it.

So you are going to do a KFS Bedford, he does some great work hope to see a WIP

Thanks for your kind words on the Jeep hope to have it finished by the weekend.

Hi Keith, thanks very much again for taking all those pictures it sure did help, glad you like it, have tried to get as much detail into it as poss, could have done more but need to get on with the Matador, you say you cant wait until you see the hood clamps, I would like to see them to have had mental block on how to make them :headbang: , could you give me some dimension will be making them out of brass

Not much to show but have been doing a bit of detail under the hood

IMG_1194_zpslzbctv2d.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1195_zps8vx4aicf.jpg[/URL]

Then did some weathering to the Accumulator Trolley 

IMG_1196_zps4r92rgmo.jpg[/URL]

Until next time

Regards

Richard

Just another thing I have just noticed here Richard, The Bridge Plate on the front is incorrect with a trailer attached.  I don't know how accurate you are going and please don't think I am picking.  The correct Bridge Plate with a trailer on would be 3/2 ... so 2 Ton for the jeep or 3 Ton with a trailer on.  

If you google it you will see what I mean :) 

Also a quick question, how come you have fitted the crank handle? I have never seen one fitted before and thought it was an interesting choice and wondered if I have missed something.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 3:25 AM, t3utonict3rror said:

Such wonderful work ... every time I check the updates I'm left with my jaw on the floor in a pool of dribble. Love the canopy and the method used to create it.  I was wondering if you was going to make on, and thought you may whip out some canvas and a miniature sewing machine and whisk one up ..... but this looks as good if not better :D 

Keep up the astonishing work :popcorn:

Cheers

Chris

On 3/2/2017 at 4:07 AM, t3utonict3rror said:

Just another thing I have just noticed here Richard, The Bridge Plate on the front is incorrect with a trailer attached.  I don't know how accurate you are going and please don't think I am picking.  The correct Bridge Plate with a trailer on would be 3/2 ... so 2 Ton for the jeep or 3 Ton with a trailer on.  

If you google it you will see what I mean :) 

Also a quick question, how come you have fitted the crank handle? I have never seen one fitted before and thought it was an interesting choice and wondered if I have missed something.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for looking in and your kind comments, couldn't make the canvas top :o so the vac form did the trick, glad you liked how it came out, regarding the bridge plate, I had no idea what that was there for (learnt something today, thanks), just made it to look like a picture I had, all they give you in the kit is a decal so I made the bridge plate then painted it, did not use the decal.

Because this jeep is only for use on the airfield (my diorama is going to have the Matador, Jeep and a Typhoon), I think I will leave the 2 on it.

Bfden6.jpg

Regarding the crank handle, I fitted it just to try it, now it is safely behind the back seat, were it fits to a bracket.

MyiiQJ.jpg

So now I figured how I was going to make the hood clamps, used 1/8" square bar to start then machined into a tee and after that just filed until I got the shape.

IexLrp.jpg

ZhexnH.jpg

P4yDZV.jpg

Next up will be the brackets, paint and then I can call this done :clap:

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

Hi Guys n Gals,

I log onto this thread daily to look for progress, and every time  there has been it leaves me simply amazed at the ingenuity and quality of the work.

It will be a great, but sad day, when it's complete!

Edited by The Cameraman
  • Like 1

It's always like looking at photos of the real jeep when visiting this thread. Very realistic modelling! Well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 8:17 PM, RichO said:

No you wont!!  You'll find something else to do here.  Great work with the brass.

Not sure what else to do on the Willy Rich, have to get back onto the Matador with Coles Crane, or the Typhoon and now I started a AFV Club Churchill after I read the book D-Day to Victory the diaries of a british tank commander, SGT Trevor Greenwood, amazing account of the war from Normandy D-Day to april 1945 in a Churchill very good book.

21 hours ago, longshanks said:

Always worth stopping by this wonderful build.........

:goodjob:

Kev

Thanks for the nice comments Kev :like:  it has been a fun build and a first to be finished in a very long time

21 hours ago, The Cameraman said:

Hi Guys n Gals,

I log onto this thread daily to look for progress, and every time  there has been it leaves me simply amazed at the ingenuity and quality of the work.

It will be a great, but sad day, when it's complete!

Hi Cameraman It will be a great day for sure :nod:,  but I do thank you for looking in on my sloooowwww build 

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

It's always like looking at photos of the real jeep when visiting this thread. Very realistic modelling! Well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

I look at your models Stix and I'am trying to do the weathering as you have done and many more on this site, not too much but just enough to make it pop, and with your very kind words it sounds as if it has come to fruition, I still need to learn more. 

9 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Another cracking detail!...:popcorn:, cheers Richrad :D

Thanks Francis, those were small items but make the detail pop out on the hood, have just put a coat of paint on them so tomorrow should have some pic's up.

Until next time

Regards

Richard

It gets more and more difficult to tell what are photos of the real item and what are photos of you build Richard, really excellent work. Any idea when you will be starting the Typhoon?

Cheers

Julian

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 9:15 AM, Gremlin56 said:

It gets more and more difficult to tell what are photos of the real item and what are photos of you build Richard, really excellent work. Any idea when you will be starting the Typhoon?

Cheers

Julian

Hi Julian, thanks mate have been on it for a while now, and I can now say the Willy is done, loved playing about with it :yahoo: have started the Typhoon but it needs finishing, should maybe start a WIP 

On 3/23/2017 at 3:38 PM, t3utonict3rror said:

Richard,

No problem glad I helped in some form! As I said I was not having a dig at all .... just owning a willies jeep it's something I noticed is all .... still ..... staggering work! loving every minute of this build :yikes:

Hi Chris, I didn't take your comments as if you were having a dig   :thumbsup:   lucky guy to own one, what type/year do you have?

Well as I said above I have finally finished a build, this is the second piece done for the Diorama I am going to construct, so here are the last couple of pictures of the WIP showing the finished hood clamps, it has been a joy to build, thanks to everyone who has look in and commented on my build, I will put some pic's up in the RFI

9I1Bak.jpg

kL90qw.jpg

BbbQBZ.jpg

Thanks again

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

Richard

I am sorry but I have to complain ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think you got the wrong bolt head size imprinted on those fasteners you fitted ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The left bolt should be 8mm flat head clockwise screwed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the right one an anticlockwise sunken head !

TEE HEE

WITH THE DETAIL YOU HAVE FLUNG AT THIS KIT I AM SURPRISED THAT IT DOES NOT START UP AND DRIVE ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SIMPLY AMAZING !

Nige

• Like 1

Well you have certainly produced a stunning model! As others have already said - the photos look like looking at a real jeep. Brilliant model building, detailing, painting and weathering.  :worthy::worthy: Looking forward to seeing the diorama.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 0:49 AM, longshanks said:

Truly Awesome !

Oh Yes Please !

Need something to replace this .........

Kev

Thanks alot Kev just loved building it also have learnt lots building this Willy, sounds like I will need to finish the Typhoon before the Matador :hmmm:

On 3/24/2017 at 0:38 PM, Okdoky said:

Richard

I am sorry but I have to complain ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think you got the wrong bolt head size imprinted on those fasteners you fitted ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The left bolt should be 8mm flat head clockwise screwed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the right one an anticlockwise sunken head !

TEE HEE

WITH THE DETAIL YOU HAVE FLUNG AT THIS KIT I AM SURPRISED THAT IT DOES NOT START UP AND DRIVE ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SIMPLY AMAZING !

Nige

:rofl: that made me LoL Nige, thanks very much for your kind words

On 3/24/2017 at 2:39 PM, PlaStix said:

Well you have certainly produced a stunning model! As others have already said - the photos look like looking at a real jeep. Brilliant model building, detailing, painting and weathering.  :worthy::worthy: Looking forward to seeing the diorama.

Kind regards,

Stix

I do appreciate that Stix it was alot of fun and just added my 2 cents worth, weathering was new to me, I think I will need to improve on that did used True Earth  products by Ironwork models, they were nice to use.

On 3/24/2017 at 3:10 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I can't think how I missed this build!

I just had to play catch up on it.

Absolutely stunning as always.

Hi Pete, thanks for looking in on my sloooow project I think it will complement my Matador when I get to building the diorama.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for looking in and commenting on my slooooow build and especially Keith who took the time to take a lot of pictures/measurements of his Willy :wicked: (Jeep) 

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

• 11 months later...