1/24th Willys Jeep

Ripaman

More good pictures Keith, so went and changed the outside bars so they looked more like the pictures, still got to add the wiper bracket then machined some little handles out of ebony, and I think I will call it a day.

0czYcd.jpg

5rDuOl.jpg

P78XEx.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 3:10 AM, keithjs said:

Looks great! Glad to be of help. Anything else you'd like just let me know.

Happy Christmas.

Hi Keith hope you had a great Christmas and again thanks for all the pictures

On 12/22/2016 at 1:06 AM, FrancisGL said:

Looks better...:popcorn:, cheers and happy Christmas :santa:

Happy New year to you Francis, hope you had a great christmas, and yes it does look better after a few tries

Made new wiper mounts by machining them out of 1/32 x 1/16 bar then made the wiper holders, added the wipers cut from shrink tube 

cCG0ru.jpg

e3Z0Rt.jpg

vsFbbi.jpg

Added some more detail to the windshield and then gave it a coat of primer by Mr Paint

Cc6mYw.jpg

7aZuxC.jpg

fsZSRN.jpg

8ciqI1.jpg

Aw1J8q.jpg

Here is the inside frame work which will get glued to the windshield.

7SVcOK.jpg

Happy New Year to everyone:cheers: hope it will be a good one.

Regards

Richard

• Like 8

Happy New Year Richard.

It's looking better and better. I'm assuming, given the amount of detail that's gone into this build already, that there will be a fully working engine under that bonnet (hood), spewing forth noxious fumes!!:lol:

John.

• Like 1

Stunning. Utterly amazing detail. I'd have looked at this kit and considered it adequate but you can clearly see things to a much higher and greater level. It's all made for 4 pages of interesting and inspirational progress so far. :goodjob:

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

:hmmm: I was looking at your latest madness creativity I thought this guy really should get out more...............

Then I looked at the weather in DeWinton, Alberta Canada

Minus 19'

You stay right where you are entertaining us

Nice work :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Happy New Year Richard.

It's looking better and better. I'm assuming, given the amount of detail that's gone into this build already, that there will be a fully working engine under that bonnet (hood), spewing forth noxious fumes!!:lol:

John.

Thanks John, have put a little detail into it, I do go overboard a little, but the engine :fraidnot:

15 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Looks very real now...when painted and weathering this Little guy...:gobsmacked:

HNY fot you and your too, :santa:

Thanks Francis, it does look alot better than what I started with, paint to go on as soon as the weather gets warmer, then will use some True - Earth weathering product to weather

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Stunning. Utterly amazing detail. I'd have looked at this kit and considered it adequate but you can clearly see things to a much higher and greater level. It's all made for 4 pages of interesting and inspirational progress so far. :goodjob:

Hi Col, Thanks for looking in, I think you know me from building the Hurri (which I still need to finish) this model I might actually finish :pray:

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm: I was looking at your latest madness creativity I thought this guy really should get out more...............

Then I looked at the weather in DeWinton, Alberta Canada

Minus 19'

You stay right where you are entertaining us

Nice work :winkgrin:

Kev

Hi Kev, thanks for looking in on my ongoing project, you were right Madness :blink2: but in a funny way it keeps me sane :nodding:

Regarding the weather yes it is bloody cold here, right now it is -22 then when you add in the windshield factor it turns it into - 29 but once it gets like this we say here it is minus stupid 

Oh I just remembered I have to go and plug in the Landrover.

Regards

Richard 

• Like 2

Superb work Richard,I must pop in on the crane build as It's been a while,I had Italeri's 1/24 in my hand but went for Tamiya's smaller one as

the Italeri boxing only has Carribinieri option's.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi Col, Thanks for looking in, I think you know me from building the Hurri (which I still need to finish) this model I might actually finish :pray:

Regards

Richard 

I do indeed but didn't want to ask how that one was going having not seen an update on it for quite some time now. No pressure though, there are still unfinished models in my collection which were began 25 years ago :blush:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Regarding the weather yes it is bloody cold here, right now it is -22 then when you add in the windshield factor it turns it into - 29 but once it gets like this we say here it is minus stupid 

Oh I just remembered I have to go and plug in the Landrover.

I applied for a job many years ago up at Athabasca tar sands.....glad I didn't get it! At least you can't be nagged at for not doing jobs in the garden.

John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well where was I, first I painted the Willy with Khaki Green for the Canadian version then coated with gloss, added the decals now at the stage of weathering, would you believe this is a first for me.

Also did a little more detail to the engine.

sTO7RH.jpg

zuBYqg.jpg

Lyx8dR.jpg

RtT8My.jpg

79x5I7.jpg

8pV9Hb.jpg

75ZyOu.jpg

PaIGw3.jpg

opb8MA.jpg

rSIg5Z.jpg

segrE0.jpg

noS02R.jpg

Getting closer to the finish line, 

Until next time

Regards

Richard

• Like 7

Richard .... truly amazing work ... I'm blown away by it!

Do you have any tips/tricks or good reference materials to start learning brass work? I am seeing it more and more and have plenty of ideas for it for some of the builds I have planned, I just would not know where to start!  I am guessing it's soldered? unless I'm mistaken and that is a glue of some sort.

Anyway I can't wait to see the next lot of work :popcorn:

Chris

• Like 1

Every aspect of your builds are pure and utter genius ! SIMPLY STUNNING !

You go to extreme lengths to get the minute details that would dumfound me with my ham-fisted  approach to modelling !

Love the combination of subjects you are building and looking forward to your next chapter

Nige

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 7:45 AM, t3utonict3rror said:

Richard .... truly amazing work ... I'm blown away by it!

Do you have any tips/tricks or good reference materials to start learning brass work? I am seeing it more and more and have plenty of ideas for it for some of the builds I have planned, I just would not know where to start!  I am guessing it's soldered? unless I'm mistaken and that is a glue of some sort.

Anyway I can't wait to see the next lot of work :popcorn:

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for your kind comment and glad you are looking to do some brass work, here are some tips for you

First if you can find, buy this CD from Adam Wilder (no affiliation with him) I had it for awhile and just looked at it once and put it away then while I was building the Jeep I relooked at it, and found his soldering technique to be different from what I was doing.

IMG_1140_zpswouqrrxz.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1141_zpsyfszckok.jpg[/URL]

I was using a resistance soldering machine and was not getting the results as I wanted

IMG_1128_zpsr0s2qcq2.jpg[/URL]

So I went and bought this at Bernz0mate at Home Depot, then got some solder and flux from an electrical shop, had the liquid flux, I think I bought from Micro mart, with this soldering tool you can get it hot and put a very small amount of solder on tip (making sure the tip is always clean) then once I'am ready to solder I turn the gas off  and just touch the tip to the place I want to solder I let it be there until it flows, on thin material it is not long

IMG_1132_zpsxzaxbead.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1129_zpswk0es603.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1130_zpsbqyekd5f.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1131_zpswel4ngs0.jpg[/URL]

Couple of tools I use a lot is a Shear (which is a good one because I wanted to shear .003" brass which it does) and something to cut very small tube which is easy to use

IMG_1126_zpsutig5zps.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1127_zps8ujj9lj8.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1138_zpsvqzxsgkn.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1139_zpsyb6ta7v9.jpg[/URL]

You will need some clamps, tweezers, files then I make jigs to hold piece while I solder

IMG_1133_zpser9ibkle.jpg[/URL] 

IMG_1135_zpsu5etkox2.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1136_zpslnuolk0v.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1134_zpspqoil2hc.jpg[/URL]

Last thing you need is brass and that you can find at any hobby store, hope this helps the only thing which was expensive in all of the above was the shear, you could just use some small hand shears, I use these quite  a lot as well. 

IMG_5953.jpg[/URL]

You will find working with brass very enjoyable once you get the hang of it and you can build anything you dream up.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Ripaman
  • Like 5

On 1/25/2017 at 0:33 PM, Col. said:

Wow. In every aspect of your work on this one it is the only comment I can pass at the moment. Just wow.

Thanks very much again Col, just love doing this sort of modelling 

20 hours ago, Okdoky said:

Every aspect of your builds are pure and utter genius ! SIMPLY STUNNING !

You go to extreme lengths to get the minute details that would dumfound me with my ham-fisted  approach to modelling !

Love the combination of subjects you are building and looking forward to your next chapter

Nige

Hi Nige you are to kind my friend, and just to let you know your modeling is not ham-fisted, once this is finished will be back at the Matador

8 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very nice engine, jeep looks gorgueous when totally completed...:popcorn:, cheers mate

Thanks for your kind words Francis, I am getting closer :phew:

Again thanks all for looking in

Regards

Richard

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Just keeps getting better and better. That silky smooth paint job is something I would love to equal,

Faultless in my opinion,

;)

Thanks a lot Julian, I thought your paint jobs look better than mine, I used Mr Paint thinner which is very thin, then used Tamiya XF-51 after that I used AMMO gloss watered down a bit. Do have these air sprayers and made my own thinner( from the internet)

IMG_1147_zpstfrcmx2t.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1146_zps61vqxrea.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1148_zpso5jvyudk.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1149_zpsrjarcdzc.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1150_zps6hctd6ny.jpg[/URL]

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Richard,

Thank you for that very informative post regarding brass work .... I will definitely be looking into the items you have told me about :D the missus won't be too happy if I go buy them anytime soon though haha.  I'll also have to set up a workshop in my garage for such projects.

Anyway thank you for taking the time to reply, I will stop hijacking your thread now :thumbsup:

• Like 1