Tugboats on tracks

Happy celebration if posible!!!, :drink: , cheers Julian

Thank you Francis, I am taking my wife, eldest son and his companion out to dinner tomorrow, not often at 60 that you get the chance to take two beautiful ladies out for an evening of good food, wine and conversation so it should be an enjoyable evening :coolio::winkgrin: .

• Like 3

The insides are taking shape Gremlin, looking very nice.

And the port tracks finished too, good work mate.

A belated happy birthday mate.

Enjoy your celebrations :drink::drink::drink:

Alternate arms though. LOL

Simon and Rose.

Thank you Simon and Lady Rose, you are never too late Simon, thank you both very much :winkgrin:

Should be an enjoyable evening.

Julian

Article received.....Cheers. :coolio:

The inerior is coming along nicely.....I'm stumped by that winch too, are there any clues on the hull, like mysterious paired rollers? There's something vaguely of that nature at the centre rear of the deck on my model, but it's kind of hard to tell what it is. :shrug:

• Like 1

Article received.....Cheers. :coolio:

The inerior is coming along nicely.....I'm stumped by that winch too, are there any clues on the hull, like mysterious paired rollers? There's something vaguely of that nature at the centre rear of the deck on my model, but it's kind of hard to tell what it is. :shrug:

The only vaguely sensible explanation for placing a winch in the crew compartment is that it is used for reeling in the messenger lines or it is used as a storage reel for the tow lines and work wires. Any other way of using inside the crew compartment would be amazingly risky (think of the injuries if a wire or cable snapped inside).

The first idea doesn't explain it's rather large size if you are only pulling in a relatively light line, the second idea would explain its size. The two vertical grooved cylinders could be powered capstans but I can't explain the "gates" on either side of the cylinders. The rollers on the stern look too small, too low and too puny to seem of any use to keep the line dead center when towing.

The only recognizably useful piece of towing gear is the tow hook fitted to the rail at the back of the crew compartment. All in all a very puzzling rig. :coolio::shrug::hmmm::unsure::blink::huh:

• Like 1

Interior coming together nicely.........

All the best on reaching maturity hope you have a good evening :yahoo:

Cheers :cheers:

Kev

Hi Kev,

welcome back from the Costa, temperature must have been rather challenging the last few days :analintruder:

On reaching maturity? I still don't feel older that 18 (well, okay, 20 maybe). I just look like I have been through a demolition derby :winkgrin:

Next landmark is 7 years away: pension age, too far to bother at the moment :analintruder:

Should be fun, I have a very good restaurant planned for this evening.

cheers,

Julian

Hope you had a great Birthday Julian I am just over a year away to get to that age :yahoo:

Your build is coming along brilliantly.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

thank you very much, 60 sounded horrible when I was in my twenties, but it seems that you reach it in a blink of an eye.

The LWS is a rather odd thing is isn't it?

Cheers

Julian :winkgrin:

Well you've all gone and done it now!!!!

Hobbyboss have just announced a LWS in plastic in 1/72!!!!

Excelled news - thank you all very much!!

P's - can't link to it on my phone but henk of Holland has it on his excellent website in the Hobbyboss section!

Regards

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

P's - can't link to it on my phone but henk of Holland has it on his excellent website in the Hobbyboss section!

Regards

Ben

Thanks Ben,

you'll survive a 1/72 LWS surely? :winkgrin:

27/8 update:

First track finished, more work done on crew compartment

DSCN4004.jpg

DSCN4005.jpg

DSCN4007.jpg

DSCN4009.jpg

All for now,

:coolio:

• Like 8

That track looks really "heavy" and with a very good saggy. Worth the time spent. :goodjob:
The winch has a magnificent appearance, along with a very accomplished weathering... :popcorn: . cheers Julian

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Well this has been a busy week and not just at work for me

:hbd::drink: Congratulations on your epic milestone Julian hope you enjoyed all the celebrations :chef::winkgrin:

Your interior looks to have more about it than mine only the driver seats and winch Ohh and thank you for all the excellent information appreciate it

had a couple of hours after work today and have completed most of the construction before the painting and did a little work on the inside

As for the winch theory i see what you mean very confusing set up only thing I can add is an idea that it could be used through the upper hatches with maybe an A frame set up through pulleys but were would this be stored on the vehicle :shrug:

Any way my work so far

IMG_3195_zpsrjoity1n.jpg

IMG_3196_zpsbxq2adkv.jpg

IMG_3197_zpsjzozn59i.jpg

IMG_3198_zpswtz9nqly.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7

Julian,

That interior is looking suitably crusty......

The track looks the dogs bit, well worth the effort involved :goodjob:

Keith,

Good progress, with that funnel type thingy on the top its looks like it might be one of Thomas the Tank Engines friends :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 2

Regards

Ben

Oh happy day! :yahoo:

Possibly not the best news for 'Tanky' though. :confused:

PS - Just had a look at it, it looks like a late version and it's been very much simplified from the 1/35 kit, in fact it looks pretty poor.....Seems 'Tanky' is still the superior kit! :coolio:

PPS - Blimey Keith that's come along some.....The pictures didn't show up on my first visit to the thread, so apologies for not commenting earlier.....The interior is looking really good, I'm mulling over adding at least some token innards to mine, the resin skinning the portholes and windows is thin enough to remove easily and they are quite big, but talk about making a rod for my own back! :mental:

• Like 3

That track looks really "heavy" and with a very good saggy. Worth the time spent. :goodjob:

The winch has a magnificent appearance, along with a very accomplished weathering... :popcorn: . cheers Julian

Thanks Francis,

For anyone interested the instructions state that 144 plastic links must be used on each side of the LWS. I used 149 Friul links on the port side and had a devil of a job to get the last link pin to fit (the links are small and that makes them very "bendy"). Halfway there now though :yahoo:

Well this has been a busy week and not just at work for me

:hbd::drink: Congratulations on your epic milestone Julian hope you enjoyed all the celebrations :chef::winkgrin:

Your interior looks to have more about it than mine only the driver seats and winch Ohh and thank you for all the excellent information appreciate it

had a couple of hours after work today and have completed most of the construction before the painting and did a little work on the inside

As for the winch theory i see what you mean very confusing set up only thing I can add is an idea that it could be used through the upper hatches with maybe an A frame set up through pulleys but were would this be stored on the vehicle :shrug:

Any way my work so far

IMG_3195_zpsrjoity1n.jpg

IMG_3196_zpsbxq2adkv.jpg

IMG_3197_zpsjzozn59i.jpg

IMG_3198_zpswtz9nqly.jpg

Beefy

Thanks Keith, you are making great progress with your LWS, looking very nicely used :thumbsup2::winkgrin:

I am "cannibalizing" a Dragon Sd.Kfz. 251/7 to fit out the crew compartment of the LWS (seats, rifle racks, radio etc.). :analintruder:

Julian,

That interior is looking suitably crusty......

The track looks the dogs bit, well worth the effort involved :goodjob:

Keith,

Good progress, with that funnel type thingy on the top its looks like it might be one of Thomas the Tank Engines friends :winkgrin:

Kev

Thanks Kev,

the tracks are a challenge but really worth the effort.

Inside looks very grungy

She is looking suitably used and dirtied inside Gremlin.

Those tracks look heavy man, real heavy, and so nice. :coolio:

Enjoy your night out.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

port side now equipped with "Heavy Metal".

The evening out was great,

cheers

Julian

Oh happy day! :yahoo:

Possibly not the best news for 'Tanky' though. :confused:

PS - Just had a look at it, it looks like a late version and it's been very much simplified from the 1/35 kit, in fact it looks pretty poor.....Seems 'Tanky' is still the superior kit! :coolio:

PPS - Blimey Keith that's come along some.....The pictures didn't show up on my first visit to the thread, so apologies for not commenting earlier.....The interior is looking really good, I'm mulling over adding at least some token innards to mine, the resin skinning the portholes and windows is thin enough to remove easily and they are quite big, but talk about making a rod for my own back! :mental:

Has anyone wondered why the brake levers are so long ? Would it be to allow the driver to stand up on his seat with his head and shoulders stuck out through the escape hatch and still be able to move the levers?

I can't imagine that it's a mistake in the kit

Has anyone wondered why the brake levers are so long ? Would it be to allow the driver to stand up on his seat with his head and shoulders stuck out through the escape hatch and still be able to move the levers?

I can't imagine that it's a mistake in the kit

Must have to be something like that Julian it must have been hard for the driver to maneuver( Steer) and see over the bow because it does look quite high if you imagine where the driver would be sitting below the bow level and the vehicle does sit high when on dry land :book::shrug:
I will have to try and obtain some other stuff for my interior to make it look full. :hmmm:
Beefy
  • Like 1

Must have to be something like that Julian it must have been hard for the driver to maneuver( Steer) and see over the bow because it does look quite high if you imagine where the driver would be sitting below the bow level and the vehicle does sit high when on dry land :book::shrug:
I will have to try and obtain some other stuff for my interior to make it look full. :hmmm:
Beefy

I don't think I'll see much of what I am putting in the crew compartment once its all sealed up Keith, just stretching the build really :winkgrin:

" I don't think I'll see much of what I am putting in the crew compartment once its all sealed up Keith, just stretching the build really :winkgrin: "

Yeah but we all know it's there, still trying to spot the cocktail cabinet :wicked:

Kev

The walnut veneer platinum inlaid diamond studded cocktail cabinet with built in humidor filled to the brim with Cuban Romeo y Juliettas ? Had to flog it to pay for more super glue :clown::bleh::clown::bleh::clown::winkgrin:

• Like 3

Hi Richard,

thank you very much, 60 sounded horrible when I was in my twenties, but it seems that you reach it in a blink of an eye.

Cheers

As you say the LWS is odd, but they all look odd I saw in the paper yesterday there is a LWS going around the streets and harbor in Halifax, Nova Scotia and it was used in Vietnam, the guy bought it from the US Army for $1,000,000.00 it looks close to what you are building.

Nice weathering you have added.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

As you say the LWS is odd, but they all look odd I saw in the paper yesterday there is a LWS going around the streets and harbor in Halifax, Nova Scotia and it was used in Vietnam, the guy bought it from the US Army for $1,000,000.00 it looks close to what you are building.

Richard

are you sure what you saw was a version of these LWS it could have been a DUWK us army amphibious truck like these in San Francisco

IMG_1028_zps8l0bngyo.jpg

IMG_1029_zpsz2oriqmh.jpg

These things are all over the world saw them in Dublin and London doing site seeing tours the one in Dublin bills itself as a viking tour you go around GARR ing at all the other people :viking::winkgrin: good fun

Any how started the paint process red oxide first then the Dunklgelb in various shades of yellow only a couple not fifty

IMG_3199_zpsagy3lrhl.jpg

IMG_3200_zps9nc2pesf.jpg

IMG_3203_zpsecb2mzks.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7

Hi Richard,

Cheers

Nice weathering you have added.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, wouldn't happen to be a photo of the LWS in that article would there? That would be amazing if one showed up during this group build (mass display of modeling insanity might be a better title :winkgrin: )

Richard

are you sure what you saw was a version of these LWS it could have been a DUWK us army amphibious truck like these in San Francisco

IMG_1028_zps8l0bngyo.jpg

IMG_1029_zpsz2oriqmh.jpg

These things are all over the world saw them in Dublin and London doing site seeing tours the one in Dublin bills itself as a viking tour you go around GARR ing at all the other people :viking::winkgrin: good fun

Any how started the paint process red oxide first then the Dunklgelb in various shades of yellow only a couple not fifty

IMG_3199_zpsagy3lrhl.jpg

IMG_3200_zps9nc2pesf.jpg

IMG_3203_zpsecb2mzks.jpg

Beefy

Wouldn't happen to be some hairspray in between the red oxide and the dunkel gelb would there? Looking very good Keith :thumbsup:

• Like 2