Tugboats on tracks

With the PzKpfw IV build nearly finished time came to look for the next project. One of the models I mentioned having in the stash was the Hobby Boss 1/35th Land-Wasser-Schlepper (LWS) Mid-production version. A most unusual looking and very hefty piece of German WWII hardware that despite being produced in very small numbers seemed to pop up in a great number of locations. Andy "Sgt. Squarehead", who was a great help during the build of my IV supplying a huge amount of information on the IV in general, mailed me and suggested doing a "Buddy Build" seeing as he had a very nice resin model of an LWS. Seemed to be a very good idea so here after a couple of weeks gestation is the kick-off of "Tugboats on tracks". Andy and I will be posting here (fairly) regularly.

Cheers

Sgt. Squarehead and Gremlin56

• Like 2

I will be having a crack at the Friendship Models 1/76 LWS that I originally intended to build for the Multimedia GB.....It's a fairly simple looking thing, but I suspect it will throw up a challenge or two before it's done. :rolleyes:

I want to finish off at least one of my GPW GB builds before I get too far into this project, but I shall be devoting some time and effort to this kit as Ian from Friendship really has been a good friend over the years. :coolio:

• Like 1

The Hobby Boss 1/35th LWS I consider to be quite a bargain, having bought it in a sale about 7 years ago. As mentioned before it's a hefty beast and the model includes PE engine grilles and masks for the windows and portholes. The only detail that really put me off building the LWS was the huge number of sprues containing single track links. Hobby Boss very helpfully provide a jig for assembling the links, (288 pieces :analintruder::yikes: ), but I will be replacing the plastic tracks with Friul metal tracks. The model is nicely detailed, the molds are crisp and there is very little flash. Fit so far is excellent so it looks like being an enjoyable build again. The kit provides two camouflage versions, one of an LWS stationed in Denmark and one LWS stationed in the Baltic but I haven't really made a definite choice yet. Here is a rather picture heavy peek in the box:

DSCN3918.jpg

DSCN3919.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3923.jpg

DSCN3924.jpg

DSCN3927.jpg

DSCN3928.jpg

DSCN3929.jpg

DSCN3930.jpg

Here are some of the extras I'll be using on the LWS, (not sure about the KM flags, needs more research).

DSCN3931.jpg

Now of course I wasn't able to resist diving into the box yesterday so here is the first update on my build:

The suspension and running gear is assembled, rudders are fitted and I am starting to fit the hatches , grilles etc.

DSCN3917.jpg

DSCN3914.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3916.jpg

DSCN3941.jpg

DSCN3942.jpg

DSCN3943.jpg

DSCN3944.jpg

DSCN3945.jpg

All for now

:coolio:

• Like 10

Blimey Julian you really are keen! :analintruder:

Looks a very nice kit and a lot more complicated than mine, but I've still got a nagging feeling that you will finish first.....Possibly before I even get properly started at this rate of progress! :blush:

• Like 1

Blimey Julian you really are keen! :analintruder:

Looks a very nice kit and a lot more complicated than mine, but I've still got a nagging feeling that you will finish first.....Possibly before I even get properly started at this rate of progress! :blush:

Hi Andy, I had the day off yesterday and the weather wasn't too good so I spent some time on the kick-off, build/photos. For today and tomorrow I have some more things planned for Buttercup, Herman and Benno so there won't be much more happening on the LWS. I also generally spend time in the weekend building, during the week work tends to intrude too much :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Julian and Andy is this buddy build just you two or might there be room for one more I have the hobby boss kit in the stash but the cover on the box looks a bit different to mine.

Either way will be taking notes from you both :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

• Like 2

That's a pukka piece of landship-ery you've got there. Interesting subject.

Thank you, Andy and I had a big discussion on where we park this work in progress: in the Armour section or by the Maritime section. Is this a tug with tracks or a tank with a hull?

It's a very unusual WWII subject though :)

A sprint start there Julian.

Looks like you will be able to go to town on the cammo scheme.

Cheers

K

Hi Kayell, certainly will. Both schemes are interesting, not too sure about the shark-mouth though :unsure::blink:

Hi Julian and Andy is this buddy build just you two or might there be room for one more I have the hobby boss kit in the stash but the cover on the box looks a bit different to mine.

Beefy

Hi Keith, this is another subject that Andy and I discussed. This isn't a regular group build. The idea is a rather informal build of the LWS with accompanying discussions, facts, information etc.

A bit like the "Channel adversaries" thread that ran a few years back. I don't have any problems with you joining ship as long as it's an LWS build. Let's just wait and see what Andy has to say on this. I am rather curious to see which version of the LWS you have stashed away :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Let's just wait and see what Andy has to say on this. I am rather curious to see which version of the LWS you have stashed away :winkgrin:

Julian this must be the poor mans version I have it is the North Africa one rubber band type tracks and only one camo option Yellow no multi link tracks but does have the PE grills

Think this is the kids version :shrug: hear are some shots of the box art and contents.

IMG_3151_zpsb7zibclr.jpg

IMG_3154_zpsakocbfsk.jpg

IMG_3153_zpseyweofiv.jpg

IMG_3152_zpsvuvwf73v.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

Hi Keith, I don't think it's the "poor man's" of "Kid's" version. It would appear to be amazingly familiar except for the rubber tracks and a single camo scheme (and not the worst camo scheme you could choose either). If you are feeling amazingly masochistic drop a PM with your home address and I'll mail the single links to you along with the construction jig. If you use them you are a braver man than I :coolio::wicked::hmmm:

All that being said a very nice model :eat:

• Like 2

Beefy

Dive in fella you are more than welcome.....It's gonna take me a few days to get properly started and Julian would probably apprecate the company! :winkgrin:

If anyone else has one of these and fancies joining in, please feel free to jump straight in. :coolio:

• Like 2

Wow, that project so interesting, and that collaboration between masters sure gives a magnificent result.
I had seen this model before, but I had not paid much attention because I thought it was another "paper tank", but I was wrong.
On that frame was manufactured (PzIV, Pz III, ....?)
Cheers Julian :popcorn:

• Like 2

Dive in fella you are more than welcome.....It's gonna take me a few days to get properly started and Julian would probably apprecate the company! :winkgrin:

If anyone else has one of these and fancies joining in, please feel free to jump straight in. :coolio:

This could become the biggest collection of LWS builds online Andy :winkgrin:

This is has all the makings of a great build of a tank(s) boat(s) oh whatever.............

Looking forward to watching the big boys

Kev

Should be rather entertaining Kev, floaty things with tracks :analintruder::yikes: very sexy.............................................

Here's my little fella:

LWS-Bits_zpslllqxmnz.jpg

Knew I had some pictures of it somewhere.....Hopefully I'll be taking some new ones fairly soon. :coolio:

That is a very nice model you have there Andy. You even have the huge fender ready moulded onto the hull, (that's a hurdle I still have to figure out).

• Like 1

It's a very nice little kit Julian.....My biggest concern is ensuring the running gear is strong enough to support all that resin! :winkgrin:

I had seen this model before, but I had not paid much attention because I thought it was another "paper tank", but I was wrong.

I believe it's a unique design sharing almost no components with the Panzers.....There is a later armoured vehicle based on the Pz.IV, a pair of which were intended to support the Faehrendecke ferry:

panzerfaehre-landwasserschlepper-ii-4.jp

If you are interested shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you some references. :coolio:

PS - I've got a full set of Dragon 1/72 kits for the Faehrendecke, but the one thing they don't supply is the trailer that the ferry was towed around on.....I've got some photos of it, but not enough that I'd confidently attempt a scratchbuild at this stage. :confused:

• Like 2

Wow, that project so interesting, and that collaboration between masters sure gives a magnificent result.

Cheers Julian :popcorn:

Hi Francis,

No, not a paper tank. This little tracked tug popped into view in several fields of German operations, even in North Africa.

I am still puzzling over the genetic lineage of the LWS. The later versions are derived from the IV, I haven't yet found what the basis of my Middle production version is.

I could also (as usual) be amazingly wrong with my view that this is a floaty tank. Apparently Andy could be correct with his view that it is an tug that can run over land.

This will be fun :winkgrin:

It's a very nice little kit Julian.....My biggest concern is ensuring the running gear is strong enough to support all that resin! :winkgrin:

I believe it's a unique design sharing almost no components with the Panzers.....There is a later armoured vehicle based on the Pz.IV, a pair of which were intended to support the Faehrendecke ferry:

panzerfaehre-landwasserschlepper-ii-4.jp

If you are interested shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you some references. :coolio:

Yes, that's very familiar ground for me after the IV-H Andy :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'd imagine you know every bolt mate! :winkgrin:

Re: The vinyl tracks in Keith's kit, I've found Trumpeter vinyl to be among the best (as in easiest to glue, first time, with no mess), but that's in 1/72 scale, so I'd definitely go for those indy links. :coolio:

14/8 update:

The running gear is fitted. Red primer underneath the grey coat has been made more visible and work has commenced on the Friul tracks, (Oh boy, are they small.....................).

DSCN3947.jpg

DSCN3949.jpg

DSCN3968.jpg

DSCN3969.jpg

DSCN3970.jpg

DSCN3973.jpg

DSCN3974.jpg

I found these at the local Hobby shop which sort of jogged an idea of how to portray the LSW............................................

DSCN3951.jpg

DSCN3952.jpg

DSCN3953.jpg

• Like 5

But, but.....You've almost finished it! :yikes:

How? :shrug:

Are you like Ratch from the ATF.....Some sort of communal modelling hive mind? :hmmm:

Please don't mention Ratch, (at least if it the Ratch from the Airfix site I remember from a few years ago). No, it is most certainly not finished, the running gear is a minor part of the build. The Friuls are a labour of love in this case :mental::winkgrin:

• Like 1

Now then you are not hanging about Julian :coolio:

Been looking at some stuff on google re the buffer ropes there are a couple of after market people that do these lion Roar and Squadron that I have found so far

but I think I will try and do some from the same sort of stuff I used on my other little Tug in the floaty section

As for the tracks I will see if the rubber band ones turn out OK if not I might have an idea for a little base for this beast :winkgrin::captain:

Beefy

• Like 1

Now then you are not hanging about Julian :coolio:

Been looking at some stuff on google re the buffer ropes there are a couple of after market people that do these lion Roar and Squadron that I have found so far

but I think I will try and do some from the same sort of stuff I used on my other little Tug in the floaty section

As for the tracks I will see if the rubber band ones turn out OK if not I might have an idea for a little base for this beast :winkgrin::captain:

Beefy

Thanks for "Head up" for the rope fenders. The rubber band tracks might still be the most sane option, the munchkin sized Friul links will be probably finished by Christmas 2018 :analintruder::yikes::mental:

Welcome aboard, nice to have you joining Andy and me with this project that will probably derail in epic fashion....................................

p.s.

Just about needed a heart pill after googling Lion Roar and Squadron: Lion Roar is out of stock, Squadron has a resin buffer/fender for $11,- but postage starts at $40,- going up to $66,- :analintruder: :analintruder: :analintruder: :analintruder: Do they bring it over from the states by rowing boat? I'll pass on this because I am sure they could provide a cheaper option.

• Like 1