John Paul Jones Birthplace museum.

Hi folks,I was on holiday up on the Dumfries coast and a short walk from the site was this small but very interesting museum

which is centred around the cottage in which he was born in 1747,well worth a visit if you are up there and have an interest

in maritime history it is small but with video presentations and an excellent curator won't disappoint.The cottage is furnished

as it would have been at the time of his birth and has a small representation of his ship's cabin.

DSCN3468_zpsjjwmege4.jpg

DSCN3461_zpsgxeelbq2.jpg

DSCN3463_zpsvtcjdyln.jpg

DSCN3465_zpsxvauyigy.jpg

DSCN3467_zpsvxactlgm.jpg

• Like 5

Fascinating. Sounds really interesting. I must make sure it's on the list when we're next up there. Somewhere on the shelves is Samuel Eliot Morison's excellent bio of JPJ, which I very much enjoyed...

Bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 1

Fascinating. Sounds really interesting. I must make sure it's on the list when we're next up there. Somewhere on the shelves is Samuel Eliot Morison's excellent bio of JPJ, which I very much enjoyed...

Bestest,

M.

There are large areas of his life of which little is known Matthew,the curator has recently been contacted by a team of Russian researchers that have

found lost papers in the St Petersburg archives he was telling us.

Just remind me again Steve which ship that is on display? :whistle:

How was the weather up there by the way? Looked pretty nasty at times from what I was looking at.

It's the good old the Bonne Homme Richard Darby,there are loads of artifacts sent from her successors and just to rub salt in the wounds one looked

a lot like a Fletcher class destroyer! We had good weather funny enough just Thursday kept us in due to the rain so we watched the Olympics in the pub.