1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

On 10/12/2016 at 03:02, Martian Hale said:

Glad the chemo is going OK. Can you not convince Mrs Bill that your doctors have prescribed so many hours modelling a day as part of your treatment programme? You might also suggest that heavy stuff such as decorating and furniture shopping has been barred to you by those same medics.

Martian

PS: Best not to let Mrs Bill see this post!

Luckily, Mrs. Navy Bird's computer skills are so rudimentary she will most likely never view anything on Britmodeller. However, she is very much in tune with my personal army of medical personnel, and I'm afraid she will quickly verify the veracity of me blaming my doctors for excessive modelling time! Rats....

On 10/12/2016 at 03:30, TheBaron said:

Add my gladness to the chemo-response Bill :thumbsup2:

I had the same 'fairing-in' issues on the Falcon canopy I used on my Sea Venom, which had the same dimensional issues as your Bucc. In the end I just had to run plenty of Tamiya extra thin along the crack and hope.

Martin's cunning plan seems your only salvation from a domestic dystopia. You could supplement this with a rider about husbanding energy levels for your daughter's wedding perhaps?

I wasn't aware of anti-corrosion materials on the air brakes - great observation -though coincidentally last night I was reading about a blue anti-rust paint used on biplane rigging by the interwar RAF. Optically those tails look like some shellac and a tiny make-up sponge might be your friend in that region.

Tony

Hmmm...since I've not actively participated in the planning for the previous two kid's weddings, I'm not likely to succeed with that excuse either. I did help my daughter find a venue, though, and it's perfect for her. It even has gargoyles! (She wants a Halloween themed wedding. Did I mention that before?)

Interesting idea about the make-up sponge. I will add that to my list of techniques to attempt. :) 

On 10/12/2016 at 03:57, giemme said:

I've thought of two possible ways for that: chipping (to wit, paint a base coat, apply a chipping fluid, spray a rusty coat and chip away, or maybe swap the order of the colors), or dry-brushing with a soft flat brush - sort of creating a texture, if you know what I mean. Tony's idea sounds great too:

PS: glad the chemo went OK, and I feel your pain about domestic life ...:angry:  ;) 

Ciao

More good ideas! I had the thought of actually dabbing on some real-life lubricant of some sort - it would need to be "scale viscosity & thickness," but it can't run or sag. Any thoughts?

On 10/12/2016 at 03:57, 71chally said:

Finally, I hope not, 

Tongue frimly in cheek!

I think the following few posts after that one on the 18 Aug discuss the airbrake & gunk.

Seriously, I hope your treatment is going well and helps with your recovery.

I clicked on those links when you first posted them, but my cursor circle thing-y just went round and round and round...I finally gave up and didn't try again. Now, of course, they work fine. Must have been some momentary disruption in the space time continuum here in Navy Birdland (or my daughter hogging all the bandwidth downloading something she shouldn't be downloading). Anyway, thank you!  I "finally" found that photo on a Pinterest site. 

On 10/12/2016 at 04:24, Martian Hale said:

Good point Tony! You definitely wouldn't want to screw that one up Bill. Best relax with some serious modelling. I am sure their must be a tame doctor here on BM who would bck up our advice to Mrs Bill if needs be.

Martian

What means "tame" doctor? That may be some Britspeak that I'm not familiar with. Over here, tame means doesn't bite or leave deposits inside. I guess that describes a lot of my fellow Britmodellers.

Back to the windscreen. It seems like I've been working on this for days - oh, right, I have.   :( 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

I'd humbly suggest artist's inks for the the anti-corrosion coating. They can be thinned with water and sprayed at very low pressure (<12 psi), and can be washed off easily with no repercussions. They also give that sort of 'stained' rather than 'painted' appearance. Here's a test piece with black, burnt sienna and brown on a metallic finish.

IMG_1718_zpsouenrspp.jpg

So glad to hear that you continue to make cancer cells suffer the fate they deserve.

• Like 5

Keep up the amazing work Bill, and keep on kicking cancers bottom.  :goodjob:

I've just caught up with all of your last few pages of posts and this is going to be awesome once it's done, that is of course if the missus gives you chance. I can't offer any oracle-like advice about the air-brakes or which shade of off-white the buc might of been, but your level of attention to detail and the font of information around here this thread is fast becoming an incredible resource! :worthy:

Don't let the wedding planning creep in too much to the modelling time, though after doing it last year, I'm pretty certain it will. I'm guessing if your daughter is having a Halloween themed wedding she'll be going for one in autumn (fall), if she does the colours are amazing, all of the turning leaves and soft sunlight will make for stunning photographs. Well worth it! (Congratulations to you and yours btw) *shudder* Cor! don't know where that came from, plastic sprues, glue, decals, nothing to see here! :lol: :whistle:

• Like 1

Calling all Buccaneer experts - after having a look at this profile:

9_28_b

Is it fair to say that there aren't many panel lines on the sides of the aft fuselage behind the exhausts, and where the serial number goes? Filling the seam where the two resin fuselage halves joined left me with pretty much what is shown in this profile. I couldn't be so lucky - if this is an accurate representation, I won't have much clean-up to do on the panel lines.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I'm happy with the windscreen, so maybe I can slap some white paint on her soon! 

26 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I found this.....

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AN/AN82-8/7-4.jpg

does that help?

It may be an S.2 (that looks like a South African bird behind), but it can't be that different?

Trevor

The aircraft would be pretty much the same in this area, at least from the outside which is what matters here.

Martian

• Like 1

Great photo - talk about building these beasts by hand, eh? Elsewhere, I found a photo of an S.2, and there are very few panel lines of consequence in this area. I think I'm safe as it is - I will have to clean up one line that kind of just ends in the middle of the side, but I have a good idea of how to do it. Onward!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

First, there are very few panel lines of consequence in this area. I think I'm safe as it is - I will have to clean up one line that kind of just ends in the middle of the side, 

That sounds a safe assumption Bill. There are some decent close-ups of an S1 restoration here with a generous amount of panel-line information visible. 2nd photo down should confirm your observations:

http://buccsociety.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=restorations&action=display&num=1190548367

HTH,

Tony

• Like 3

Sorry for yet another delay - my son and his family were up for the weekend so family time took precedent (as it should). Both he and my eldest daughter are big American football fans so we decided to go to the Buffalo Bills/San Francisco 49ers game on Sunday. We had seats in a VIP suite so we wouldn't have to put up with any of the hooligans and their drunk behaviour. After the game we were negotiating the ridiculous traffic jams around the stadium and stopped at a red light. My daughter was driving her brand new Ford Explorer SUV. From out of nowhere, some chick crashes into the back of us, never even trying to stop.

The police estimated she was doing 30-35 MPH. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it was a wicked nasty hit. I have a history of back problems (nine spinal surgeries if I've got my count right) and the whiplash really hurt my back. Of course, the paramedics did not want to take any chances, so I got a nice ride in the ambulance complete with neck collar and other restraints stabilising devices. X-rays were negative, but let me tell you I am sore! Whiplash headaches are no fun either. Fortunately my son and daughter are fine, although my daughter also has a bit of whiplash.

The only consolation was watching the cops test the other driver for alcohol (it was quite funny watching her try to walk a straight line!) and then handcuff her hands behind her back and throw her in the paddy wagon. She was obviously big time drunk - I think she hit the gas pedal instead of the brake, especially after she told us that "her brakes didn't work at all." 

We also learned that physics always wins. My daughter's Ford Explorer needs a new bumper and maybe some fixes to the lower sheet metal behind the rear wheels, but we were able to drive it home. The other car, a midsize Dodge sedan of some sort, was totaled. Everything in front of the firewall was damaged, and I mean everything. The radiator and its support were literally wrapped around the front of the engine. It looked to me like the engine was pushed back some because the rear wheels were not centered in the body openings. This was a rear wheel drive car, so there's a driveshaft heading from the transmission (gearbox for you guys) back to the rear axle. Everything looked pushed back. The bonnet (I knew that one!) was tangled and torn - one of the hydraulic cylinders to raise it was laying in the road. What a mess.

The other driver had a passenger who was also quite drunk, and spent the entire time arguing with the police about them taking her home. They'll give her a ride to the station, but then she's on her own. But she wouldn't stop arguing with them. 

So I'm taking a few days to recover, and I don't know how much modelling I'll get done. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Bill

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:03 PM, Navy Bird said:

Great photo - talk about building these beasts by hand, eh? Elsewhere, I found this one of an S.2:

1860316.jpg

First, there are very few panel lines of consequence in this area. I think I'm safe as it is - I will have to clean up one line that kind of just ends in the middle of the side, but I have a good idea of how to do it. Onward!

Cheers,

Bill

Nice picture Bill! I hope you recover quickly, you have enough on your plate health wise as it is. Well done for getting the Britspeak right though, we'll make a proper English speaker of you yet!

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:32 PM, TheBaron said:

That sounds a safe assumption Bill. There are some decent close-ups of an S1 restoration here with a generous amount of panel-line information visible. 2nd photo down should confirm your observations:

http://buccsociety.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=restorations&action=display&num=1190548367

HTH,

Tony

Super link Tony!

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:46 PM, 71chally said:

Useful shots here as well, http://buccsociety.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=restorations&action=display&num=1180382287

Be great to see pics of a Bucc stripped of paint.

Ditto for you, I signed up with this lot on the strength of the above links.

Martian

• Like 3

On 2016-09-24 at 1:11 AM, general melchett said:

Enjoy your time in purgatory....not sure if I like surprises at theme parks, I remember having one set up for my daughter Melchetter in Florida...it involved a seven foot Bigfoot from 'BF and the Hendersons'. Took one look at him and ran off screaming hysterically,  had half the park looking for her !, (wouldn't have minded but she was 22 at the time !).

:lol:

Glad to hear that you are (almost) OK. Could have been a lot worse. DUI is one of the worst offences in my book! Great winn by the Bills BTW.

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes, mates. I'm still mighty sore, but it seems to be getting better each day. The doctor who examined me put it down as a severe lumbar strain, and he expected it will take a few weeks to get back to normal. We got a copy of the police report, and the other driver was charged with four counts: DWI, Aggravated DWI, Open Container, and Following Too Closely. I don't know her past history, but the Aggravated DWI charge will likely result in some jail time in addition to revocation of her license. To be charged with that, she had to have a blood alcohol content above 0.18. That's more than double the amount for a "normal" DWI here in New York State. Yikes.

OK, Buccaneer. When I cut out the windscreen from the vacuform sheet, I didn't care for the shapes at the front where the demisters and wiper mount. The edges were not very sharp, which is typical of a vacuform. I decided to remove that area and rebuild it with other means later on. I did that, and then masked the windscreen with the included masks. Which are VERY thin, by the way. You have to be real careful with these fellas. 

IMG_0695

You can see the chunk I removed at the bottom of the front section. I painted the coaming flat black, and detailed the air conditioning tubes.

IMG_0696

You may notice that I did some additional sanding on the inside of the intakes, where they meet the fuselage sides. There was a slight step in that area that's not on the real plane, so it had to be fixed!   :) 

Now, as I mentioned earlier, this is where all of my fun began. First, the vacuform windscreen was too wide for the fuselage. (I suspect the pattern used in making the vacuform was the right width.) This meant I had to squeeze it together so that the sides matched up to the fuselage while the glue was setting. Once I was happy with that, I had to blend the windscreen into the fuselage, since the vacuform piece did not conform precisely with the shape of the fuselage (due to my ineptitude in working with vacuforms!). For this, I chose not to use putty but instead the stuff used to smooth wall board seams - I'm not sure what you guys call it, Polyfilla maybe? Anyway, it looks like a right mess after you apply it:

IMG_0698

You can smooth this out with a paintbrush and water, but I use 2000 grit paper dry. The stuff sands very easily, so there is little risk of damaging adjacent panel line detail. And, with the super fine paper you can get a very smooth surface and nice feathering of the edges.

However, for some reason the windscreen managed to pop off on more than one occasion, probably because the CA glue wasn't strong enough to overcome the vacuform wanting to resume its original shape of being too wide. I hate physics sometimes. I finally resorted to using some stronger two-part adhesive, and got everything in reasonably good shape.

IMG_0699

The next step is to paint the windscreen flat black to represent the inside colour of the framework, followed by some more Alclad grey primer. This will let me see if there is any more work to do (there always is!) on the windscreen before the anti-flash white is applied. 

Hopefully (how long have I been saying this?) the next installment will have a nice white brick smiling at us all.   :)

Cheers for now,

Bill

• Like 6