1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

Hi mates, my next project will be the new 1:72 multi-media kit from Scale Resin of the Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1. This is primarily a resin kit, but includes photoetch details, canopy masks, and a vacuformed canopy. At this point, I don't believe there is any need for any aftermarket accessories, everything needed is in the box.

I previously built the 1:72 Buccaneer S.Mk.2 from CMR, which can be seen here, and even though Scale Resin is a brand of CMR Moulding & Casting, this kit is completely new. Incredible as it seems, the level of detail has been improved! I'm really looking forward to this build. :)

My understanding is that CMR worked very closely with Andy White to ensure accuracy and authenticity. Andy, of course, runs an excellent Buccaneer web site and is a subject matter expert. Andy, if you're on BM, I hope you'll ride along on this build and make sure I don't cock it up!

I haven't selected a markings scheme yet, but from a quick look at the instruction booklet, I need to do that soon as there are many detail differences between the available schemes. These require different parts at different stages of the build, so planning is essential. One scheme is intriguing - SN934, 801 Squadron, HMS Ark Royal, February - March 1963 Shakedown Cruise (Carrier Deck Trials). This scheme is overall Titanium White, not something you see too often on an FAA Buccaneer. But I really love Extra Dark Sea Grey...

Here's the box art:

IMG_0576

Here are the resin parts:

IMG_0571

And the rest (photoetch, masks, canopy, booklet, and decal sheets):

IMG_0574

A couple of things that I've noted before we start - first, the speed brakes at the rear of the fuselage. These two petals have been designed so you can display them open and see all of the detail inside. However, just as on my S.Mk.2 build, the extremely thin (some might say "wafer" thin :) ) flat strakes have suffered damage in shipment, and I'll have to repair these or replace with card stock. CMR might want to look into another form of packaging to protect these extremely thin portions.

Second, there is only one vacuformed canopy. Most CMR kits include two, in case you make a fatal error cutting it out. I like having this extra bit of security, and I can say that I've used it many times! I almost always screw up the first one and have to go to the second. I'm sure that it saves some money, but please go back to providing two canopies. I don't trust myself!

OK, so let's get to work. Step Number 1 is to decide which markings scheme I want and also to decide if the wings should be folded or extended, canopy open or closed, refueling probe retracted or fixed, speed brake open or closed, and also whether the nose cone should be open or closed. Step Number 2 is very nice - CMR have indicated which surfaces will need to be sanded down in order to get a proper closing of the two fuselage halves. Nice!

Now, where did I put my respirator? Time to get the parts off of their pour blocks...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 25

Ummm...Irresistible. Pray proceed Bill. :popcorn::thumbsup:

By coincidence I was hoiking around for some Sea Venom stuff on Flickr last night and came across some nice link to contemporary Bucc photos on operations here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39411748@N06/galleries/72157627116873920/

Good luck with this one!

Tony

• Like 1

First - I decided to clean my workbench. And after that, maybe even organize it. The shame! I spent three hours today just throwing crap out, then it was time to vacuum up all the dust muffins. In doing so, I found almost all of the photoetch pieces that went "zing!" in the past several years. They're now in the goodies drawer in case I need them in the future. This really is a strange hobby.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Here are the resin parts:

IMG_0571.jpg

...Mercy! I've always wanted a nice Bucc, I never could swing the price tag though. I bought a few Airfix and Matchbox kits just to get a whiff of what it might be like to have the CMR Gulf war version, even bought the Alliance decals.

Have fun Bill, and that insignia scheme sounds bright.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this as I really would like to see how well all those resin bits go together and line up. The detail does look really nice from here.

You build it first, then I might consider getting one! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

I wouldn't be able to resist exposing the nice detail inside the nose Bill... your choice, of course, but it does look nice eh?

Watching and learning here...

• Like 1

Hi mates, my next project will be the new 1:72 multi-media kit from Scale Resin of the Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1.

So I assume you have a pre-production kit since I can't find the kit for sale under CMR and/or Scale Resin? (good luck figuring out which new company is which within the dual-company)

Gene K

I've always had a soft spot for the 'Banana Jet' (ever since having a flight in one many moons ago).

I must admit though that the baby intakes of the S1's Gyron Juniors made it far less agressive looking than the S2 with its Speys.

It's also probably the only good looking aircraft that Blackburn ever built! ;)

• Like 2

I'll be following as well.

Like Ascoteer, I had one qual flight in an S.2B thanks to a very sympathetic Wing Commander I was working for when on exchange to the MOD in the mid '80s. He was also a test guy and and arranged for a few familiarization flights in RAF types to break up the "joy" of flying a desk just off of Trafalgar Square after four years of flying RCP in F-4s and F-16s.

Will be interesting to note the differences from the earlier CMR kits. I've downloaded all of your installments building the CMR kit for reference in building the ones I have - when I get up the gumption to start them.

Sven

Old Viper Tester

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I've finished cleaning up and organizing the workbench, so out comes the razor saw. Yeah, and the silly mask.

On 8/13/2016 at 10:02, Gene K said:

So I assume you have a pre-production kit since I can't find the kit for sale under CMR and/or Scale Resin? (good luck figuring out which new company is which within the dual-company)

Yes, this copy is a pre-production kit as I'm building it on behalf of CMR. However, the kits are listed at Hannants, but the S.1 is currently sold out. They have some NA.39 kits in stock the last I looked, though. Hannants recently ran a sale (10% off) on the S.1, which is probably why their stock was depleted.

Cheers,

Bill

On 8/13/2016 at 16:31, NAVY870 said:

I had one of those appear in the letter box as well :)

Ssshh! :)

Now, my first conundrum. The Scale Resin instruction booklet states that the cockpit is painted Dark Admiralty Grey, BS381C 632. This makes sense to me as the CMR Buccaneer S.2 that I built used that colour. However, the pre-painted instrument panel on the photoetch sheet is most definitely a reasonably good shade of Interior Grey Green, like I just painted my Spitfire cockpit with. Plus, there are two additional photoetch pieces (looking like control levers with yellow/black hand grips) that are also Interior Grey Green.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards overpainting the photoetch pieces with the correct shade of grey.

Cheers,

Bill

I too have a soft spot for the Buc, so I will be watching. I was very disappointed on my visit to RAF Laarbruch with the ATC in the early '80's to find out they'd been grounded due to wing folding issues in flight.....the Jags were there but it wasn't quite the same....If I remember correctly it was 2 Sqn on the Jags and 15 Sqn on Bucs

Ian

Edited by limeypilot