Tamiya 1:35 Triceratops Diorama sets combined

Hello

I've jot a whole stack of Dinosaur kits to make - some of which you may have already seen on the forum as part made kits. Mrs P and her beautiful Lady Brachio inspired me to get on and start some of the easier Tamiya Diorama Kits I have had kicking around.

I've taken both my Triceratops Diorama Sets and combined the bases. The Triceratops kit offers 2 leg pose options so I have made one of each and cut off the neck and repositioned the head and angle of the 2 main horns on one of the kits. The Tamiya box shows 2 colouring/marking options which works well for a male and female setting.

I have the Tamiya 6 pack of Velociraptors which I have also used - the Triceratops kit comes with 3 per kit which leave me 6 left over for other ideas later on with other kits. The Velociraptors have a number of limb and torso pose options you can select.

My intended diorama is meant to show the male and female Triceratops being chased along by a pack of 5 hungry and invasive Raptors. I've left off the fish and amphibians that come with the kit, along with the pond water etc as I am happy to work with Vallejo's Water Effects to replicate rushing water down a central stream in the base.

t1_zpsziylzw3y.jpg

WP_20160714_01_34_21_Pro_zps1psbxhjv.jpg

t2_zpsoeaekyzv.jpg

DSCF5677_zpsu1ld1uh4.jpg

DSCF5677_zpsrq5bs7rm.jpg

Adding shades of green to the plant leave template sheets

DSCF5684_zpsq1qrethr.jpg

DSCF5906_zpsbubammle.jpg

DSCF5908_zpscz5lmgx4.jpg

DSCF5909_zpszhgsh9c6.jpg

DSCF5907_zps4a5xjpji.jpg

basic belly and back under tones applied

DSCF5910_zpskuveutce.jpg

DSCF5679_zpspp7ztamb.jpg

DSCF5680_zpsfqexsfpk.jpg

DSCF5678_zpsv6fawexs.jpg

DSCF5676_zpsoltucgwb.jpg

DSCF5682_zpseigxhnst.jpg

DSCF5683_zps7fvi18dq.jpg

DSCF5900_zpsmdhhs4w3.jpg

DSCF5901_zpsqeasjo5l.jpg

DSCF5902_zpsrzc3kw6d.jpg

DSCF5903_zpsn5h6ufqs.jpg

Vallejo Water Effects applied in raw form prior to drying clear

DSCF5904_zpsmbrzorlr.jpg

DSCF5905_zpsf9wcowkn.jpg

more to follow on soon - and thanks for looking in

John

• Like 9

Looking good great tip on how to join the two parts of the base :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

Hi Beefy

Every year around Jan 2nd, Tesco's in Wokingham get all excited and start displaying last years unsold collection of summer gardening items - packs of plastic potting sticks for £0.10p a pack - you cant say no if you're a modeller can you. I knew I would finally find a use for them - they are 1.5mm thick, love polystyrene cement or CA.

Job done - my old Revel Triceratops spine also benefitted from a good back-job using the same last year. Cheap as chips

DSCF5560_zpszbdr3irr.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! got this kit in the stash,its a lovely kit,but double Trike goodness is hard to resist!Will follow with interest.

(with all the Dinosaurs on here at the moment,perhaps we should ask for a separate forum :banghead:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends - I've been away but have made it back to the model room for a catch up on Mr and Mrs Triceratops.

I've realised that airbrushing makes the paint and blending of colours a lot harder than normal brush work but I will stick it out until the process if done. Plenty more work left to do - don't think these kits look simple coz' they're not! They may only have 20-30 pieces but when it comes to adding colour - that's where the warhammer modeller and war game builder skills step in and I am neither..

so, part of the stream burst and water flow is now part ready

DSCF5913_zpsztkunkkp.jpg

DSCF5914_zpskktmx16y.jpg

DSCF5915_zpsrck2wnzj.jpg

Female (Cow's) first upper base coat

DSCF5916_zps5sszwdlu.jpg

DSCF5920_zps75lo7mgw.jpg

Male (Bull's) first upper base coat

DSCF5917_zps9niu028q.jpg

DSCF5918_zpsc9p9ddy9.jpg

DSCF5919_zpsl08dw7uy.jpg

So this picture shows the different leg poses available when combining 2 of the same kits, and the head adjustment I made to the male and the raising of the female's main horms

DSCF5921_zps8if4jtkk.jpg

Male - second upper coat

DSCF6111_zpsg2oueakl.jpg

Female - second upper coat

DSCF6114_zpshbnfdpco.jpg

The Raptors with their second upper coats and fresh belly skin tones

DSCF6113_zpsosss98u0.jpg

As they stand today - Humbrol Maskol removed and ready for their upper top coat shades prior to brush detailing, eyes, nostrils, toes, horns, beaks etc

DSCF6117_zpszxqy892s.jpg

DSCF6118_zpsehledntp.jpg

DSCF6119_zpsgijdc2ve.jpg

I guess it can only get more rewarding from hereon once the top coats and detailing starts as I'm not getting much satisfaction from these 2 at the moment - I am way out of my comfort zone making beasts..... :badmood:

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - these Triceratops are nearly done now - I will have some pictures of the completed sets up on the forum next week hopefully. All that is left now are some finishing touches to the eyes and set up of the diorama poses.

1473272399399_zps9s075w7u.jpg

1473277499987_zps0npanoif.jpg

1473272354881_zps0vs38zkc.jpg

1473277489057_zpsi87tjarh.jpg

1473277412472_zps38rdigls.jpg

1473277459207_zpsz64u78q7.jpg

I have followed the Tamiya instructions on painting the eye - here is the first of the 3 stages done (missing iris and orange clear top coat glaze)

1473277552969_zpslqxsmwyg.jpg

1473277537285_zpsvumrbaqi.jpg

Flory washes have been used for dirtying up the animals - I'll seal it all in under a final coat of matt varnish later on

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning work ! Always admire these sort of dioramas at the shows nice to see something different, might even try something like this myself.

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

If it's not too late, you may wish to reconsider the Velociraptors. They lived in Mongolia, and the Triceratops lived in North America. Even during the Cretacious there was a great huge ocean in the way. And then there's the slight problem of Velociraptors being feathered.

9 hours ago, Jessica said:

If it's not too late, you may wish to reconsider the Velociraptors. They lived in Mongolia, and the Triceratops lived in North America. Even during the Cretacious there was a great huge ocean in the way. And then there's the slight problem of Velociraptors being feathered.

Gosh that's SCARY Jessica :dinosaur::lol:

BillyD

Thanks for the comments - interesting to know about the expanse of water between the 2 breeds though - Tamiya need to do some work on their box contents.

I've seen some of these Tamiya Raptors adapted with feathers elsewhere on the web, but I was not too bothered myself, preferring to concentrate on the Triceratops given the time I had to complete these prior to IPMS Farnborough's Modelfest where I exhibited them.