Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Va/IIa kit

Dave Fleming

Strangely this one doesn't seem to have a thread of it's own.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/supermarine-spitfire-va-1-72.html

A re-release of the new I/II kit from a few years ago (which had the relevant mk V oil cooler) with markings for a mk Va of 164 Squadron at Peterhead in 1942. Interestingly, rather than include another mk Va (and Bader's would have been the obvious one), Airfix have included a Presentation mk IIa as the alternative decal option.

Box top has some nice Scottish mountains in the background

ImageB1.jpg

164 Squadron mk Va option:

ImageC1.jpg

41 Squadron mk IIa option

a02102-bsv-b.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 5

Yeh - if I recall correctly, this kit was originally announced as having 'Bader' decals, however looks like this No. 164 Sqd option has replaced it.

It's nice to see some other Spitfire Va scheme depicted, however I for one probably couldn't name another.
Only 94 Va's were ever produced, does anyone know any other noteworthy squadron options?

Cheers.. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

611 Sqn had Mk.Va serial R7439 and coded FY-A, which is what I'll be doing. I don't know of any personal markings as the only pictures I have seen appear to be German troops destroying the remains of it following its loss.

I won't buy the Va boxing as I have a couple of Mk.I/II in the stash. I would have bought one with Bader's markings as I don't have decals for that one. It seems a bit odd to me to issue a Mk.Va boxing with only one scheme for that specific Mark and leaving out the most famous one of all.

Phil

It seems a bit odd to me to issue a Mk.Va boxing with only one scheme for that specific Mark and leaving out the most famous one of all.

I totally agree..

Perhaps there will be a starter kit released with the Bader option in the near future.

Now.. that does make sense?

Cheers.. Dave (who has just learned how to reply to multiple quotes!!)

• Like 2

Actually, it makes a change to have a Mk.VA and NOT have a Bader scheme. Like all those Johnnie Johnson Mk.IXs or Pierre Clostermann Tempests. Or, to put it another way, they also served...

Good evening

In fact I think that honouring the memory of lesser known pilots is a very good thing but if I was running Airfix with the aim of making money I would surely also offer the Douglas Bader scheme ..and I would have invested in downscaling the 1/48 Spitfire Vb in 1/72 and replace the old one produced in the 70s (if I don't make a mistake .).

Patrice

• Like 2

Good evening

In fact I think that honouring the memory of lesser known pilots is a very good thing but if I was running Airfix with the aim of making money I would surely also offer the Douglas Bader scheme ..and I would have invested in downscaling the 1/48 Spitfire Vb in 1/72 and replace the old one produced in the 70s (if I don't make a mistake .).

Patrice

I agree with you about giving lesser known pilots recognition. There was more to combat than a few personalities.

Alas I fear that scaling down the Vb kit would only gain you criticism from half the 'experts' for not producing a Vc :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I agree with you about giving lesser known pilots recognition. There was more to combat than a few personalities.

Alas I fear that scaling down the Vb kit would only gain you criticism from half the 'experts' for not producing a Vc :rolleyes:

God afternoon Col

The best answer is to produce a Vb AND a Vc because if Airfix don't do it another brand will do it as Kp has already produced a Vb ..

.http://hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/kits/kpm0056reviewmd_1.htm

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought this kit today.  The plastic is the same as the Mk I/II kit - ie it has the supplementary sprue with the props and the clear sprue with flat and bulged canopies.

A couple of things I find puzzling:

1.  with a cost-conscious company, why did they decide to go from a Mk Va kit to a Mk Va/II kit, given it meant including these extra sprues?  Even without the Bader option, they could still have released it as a Series I model with the single Va marking option.  Or is it something to do with the canopies?

2.  while the instructions tell you to use the appropriate prop on each version, both options use the same oil cooler.   I thought the MkI/II and MkV oil coolers were different, and the kit includes both.

Which sprue was the oil cooler on?  Or the prop?    Presumably it was necessary to have the full set to include the options they wanted - which then wouldn't fit in the smaller box.    More cynically, Airfix make more money per sale from larger series, if not much in this case.

Looking on the website, it seems that Airfix think both were Mk.VAs,  hence the same cooler.  Does it say differently in the kit itself?  Also bear in mind that some late Mk.IIs had the later oil cooler, so perhaps this one did.

Edited by Graham Boak
Further digging in loft.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:49 PM, Graham Boak said:

"Which sprue was the oil cooler on?  Or the prop?"

The Mk Va uses the main sprue prop (de Havilland) while the Mk II uses the Rotol prop that's on the D sprue (the one included in the MkI/II kit).  Now the interesting bit - the oil cooler is on the D sprue as well - ie it's a Mk II cooler!

"Looking on the website, it seems that Airfix think both were Mk.VAs,  hence the same cooler.  Does it say differently in the kit itself?  Also bear in mind that some late Mk.IIs had the later oil cooler, so perhaps this one did."

They're definitely a Mk II and a Va.  For the former there's also the Coffman starter, also on the D sprue. 

I'm still confused about the oil cooler - has Airfix in both its Mk IIs (this package and the MkI/II) modelled ones that used the Mk V unit?

The Mk.I/II kit instructs you to use the earlier cooler, and the Mk.V is simply left on the sprue for conjecture.  As to which - if either - should use the later one, I'm afraid that I don't know.  Perhaps, as a simple (or simple-minded) approach, consider whether the serial is early in the production run or late.  Or, consider the possibility that Airfix could be right in allocating them as they have.

On 23 September 2016 at 11:38 AM, bharris said:

Just bought this kit today.  The plastic is the same as the Mk I/II kit - ie it has the supplementary sprue with the props and the clear sprue with flat and bulged canopies.

A couple of things I find puzzling:

2.  while the instructions tell you to use the appropriate prop on each version, both options use the same oil cooler.   I thought the MkI/II and MkV oil coolers were different, and the kit includes both.

Possibly the instructions completed before the colour schemes were finalised, and they forgot to amend the instructions?

It's possible they did forget to amend the instructions. Originally it was to have 2 Mk. Va options and the Airfix website still listed the Bader option just over a week ago, but the images were the 41 Sqn and 164 Sqn options.