Clear Gloss - Milky patches

ZitchDog

I applied my first coat of clear gloss last night and have noticed that I have patches of milky white over my model, I used a brush to apply it thinly and it seemed to cover well. Is there anything i can do to correct it or is it a case of remove it and start again? If so how is best to remove? should I use paint remover and start the whole thing from scratch?

Cheers

This is usually blamed on excessive moisture. Sometimes it will clear if you add another coat. If not, I'd try gentle sanding before total paint removal.

Thanks graham, I shall try a second coat, tbh i wouldn't mind stripping the lot as i'm not that happy with the finish i have atm.

So I tried another coat and it has just gotten worse. Thinking of stripping it all back and waiting until I have an airbrush. Not that the airbrush will make a difference with this problem!

I think the issue may be that I have an open marine fish tank in the dining room and that may be providing the excess moisture in the air?

This makes me think of the few times I've accidentally had water drops drip onto a model with a dry coat of acrylic gloss coat, iirc, the surface turned white, but turned transparent again after drying.

Not so, with me accidentally airbrushing on too much of the acrylic matte varnish onto a model, which remained white so to speak, probably because I had not diluted the varnish, ending up being too strong or something I am guessing.

• Like 1

Can I ask what brand of Gloss varnish are you using?

Cheers .. Dave.

It's Humbrol Clear gloss, but I have since stripped it and re-coated and not had any issues. I did the new coats in the kitchen with the windows open to reduce the humidity and it seems to have done the trick. :)

It's Humbrol Clear gloss, but I have since stripped it and re-coated and not had any issues. I did the new coats in the kitchen with the windows open to reduce the humidity and it seems to have done the trick. :)

Humbrol - I've had both good and bad results with their products.

Unfortunately it's a little too inconsistent for my liking, so have reverted back to good old Pledge / Kleer etc.

Glad to hear that your having better results now.

Cheers .. Dave.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with the clear gloss acrylic. I used it on a mule and even weeks down the line it's still milky. I think that the humidity has something to do with this drying properly however I tried the solvent based gloss cote with no issues and actually prefer the finish.

Maybe humidity prevents the Humbrol Clear stuff to evaporate (as if thinking that evaporation of liquid is a mechanism for the stuff to settle thinly on the surface), such that microscopic bubbles are retained in the liquid, as if being tiny soap bubbles.

Well I've officially given up on this model, had the gloss coats finish well second time round, just done a coat with Humbrol clear Matt and it's completely ruined it. So I'm taking it as lesson learnt, will steer clear of Humbrol in the future. Anyway onto model 2!

Well I've officially given up on this model, had the gloss coats finish well second time round, just done a coat with Humbrol clear Matt and it's completely ruined it. So I'm taking it as lesson learnt, will steer clear of Humbrol in the future. Anyway onto model 2!

Thats the spirit. Just remember there is no such thing as a perfect build and there is always scope for disaster. However like plane crashes we learn every time from every one until its almost perfect - but only ever "almost"

• Like 1