Messerschmitt Me 321 B1 Gigant, Italeri 1/72, winter 1943

Hi,

Next odd German - Messerschmitt Me 321 B-1. Winter camo from Crimea (EDIT: according one source, accordingly to another from Smolensk area), 1943. Configuration - almost ready for take off. The W6+SW - decals from box, but in box the summer scheme is presented. Modification of kit is in front wheels, which in kit are single and on photos they double and in bottom of fuselage (which is flat in model). I thought, that I will give some lead to nose, but I measured it and it should be about 330 g. I quit, since it will perhaps required many enforcement of whole model and especially wheels.

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

me 321 Dsc02667xme 321 Dsc02669xme 321 Dsc02666x

me 321 Dsc02665x

me 321 Dsc02664x

me 321 Dsc02663x

me 321 Dsc02668xme 321 Dsc02662xme 321 Dsc02661xme 321 Dsc02660x

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 65
  • Thanks 1

That is just fantastic J-W :clap: :clap:

That's just superb winter camoflauge weathering. What a huge model, it really gives a sense of the real thing. Very menacing looking!

:goodjob:

Tony

• Like 1

Very well done, brother... Especially the hastily applied winter camo over the two greens looks very realistic.

I understand that prolonged building of these two Gigants (the six-GR14N powered 323 is on the way) was the main reason for your recent moving to the new, big home :)

BTW instead of putting 12oz of lead into nose (or using the transparent plastic support) you can just release the triangular jack located under the fuselage just behind the wing trailing edge. In real a/c it was hanging vertically unless the load has been put into the fuselage - otherwise the glider touched the ground with tailskid.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 2

Gents, many thanks for comments and likes :)

Regarding wethering - the point is that white was painted first and then two greens were applied. I tried first time this approach on my Fiesler Storch http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972472-fiesler-fi-156-winter-camo-ambulance-heller-172/

Mike - I was trying to use this triangular monopod - but it is too weak (fragile) to play this role. The option would be to make it out of metal and made a wise joint to fuselage... But I quit.

Indeed - I am finishing a pair to this gigant - the other one, this time Me 323...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Oh cripes, that is just WOW! I've long lusted after a 323 kit, probably couldn't afford one even if I found it, & would bottle at trying to build it but is a nice dream & Jerzy is doing 2 of them, flipping heck. :o

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!

Without a doubt the winter camouflage you applied to this one is a high quality one, liked a huge lot all the build but specially the way you applied the white paint over the camouflage. Reading the house change Michael said...I have seen once this nice kit built and really is very very impressive to watch a huge model. If I would find one for sure I would build the engined version together with the nice Gotha and if I would have two of each, for sure the subject collection theme would be formed with The Me 321, The Gotha without engines, the Waco CG 4, the Horsa AS51 and last but not the least the Little Hotspur...and maybe would try the Hamilcar one day...

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

... If I would find one for sure I would build the engined version together with the nice Gotha and if I would have two of each, for sure the subject collection theme would be formed with The Me 321, The Gotha without engines, the Waco CG 4, the Horsa AS51 and last but not the least the Little Hotspur...and maybe would try the Hamilcar one day...

CG-4, Horsa, Go-242 and Hotspur - okay! But in my opinion (FWIW) before the Me-321 and the Hamilcar I would add the DFS 230, Kokusai Ku-8, Antonov A-7, Gribovski G-11 and Yak-14. IIRC three of them have been already injection-kitted in the 72nd scale and two others are offered in resin form :)

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

Mike and Luis-Alfonso - many thanks for comments. Please just wait for DFS-230, both Gothas (242,244) (and likely a bit longer) for Antonow A-7 and Gribovski G-11 - they are all here waiting in the stash and I hope to do them all, one by one - one day :) I do not have yet Hamilcar and Kukusai yet - I am sorry to say it. They are only available in resin, I think - and I am trying not to buy kits in resin just for keeping them in stash - they are simply too expencive and there are too many of them for doing this... Perhaps I will have to double my weges to start buying resin kits for stash :) However, I cannot exclude, that perhaps one magic day, I will got "a Hamilcar flu" I will have to buy it and immediately do this beast...:):):)

The other story is with Yak-14: it is cold war "species" - so it is beyond my field.

Have a nice Sunday :)

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Many thanks Rod and Mustang1989 for your comments and many other mates for likes. Appreciated :)

I wrote "Crimea 1943" in the topic, it was following the description of this painting scheme in a Polish monography on this type in a booklet No 160 from TBU series (if you are not familiar with this series have a look here http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/biblio/series/tbu/tbu.htm

However, in net there are photos of this exactly machine and there the description is "Orsha, winter '41-'42 ". I am not sure if this transport glider survived for a year and was used in two subsequent winters (I have serious doubts on this)....Anyway - it is from East Front :)

Regards

J-W

CG-4, Horsa, Go-242 and Hotspur - okay! But in my opinion (FWIW) before the Me-321 and the Hamilcar I would add the DFS 230, Kokusai Ku-8, Antonov A-7, Gribovski G-11 and Yak-14. IIRC three of them have been already injection-kitted in the 72nd scale and two others are offered in resin form :)

Cheers

Michael

Cheers

Michael

Hi Mike:

I have seen something of the above mentioned and thought that would be a nice short theme BUT really get all the ones mentiuoned seem a little difficult task, but anyway...maybe themes like this one are the very best to conform a complete collection. Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Mike and Luis-Alfonso - many thanks for comments. Please just wait for DFS-230, both Gothas (242,244) (and likely a bit longer) for Antonow A-7 and Gribovski G-11 - they are all here waiting in the stash and I hope to do them all, one by one - one day :) I do not have yet Hamilcar and Kukusai yet - I am sorry to say it. They are only available in resin, I think - and I am trying not to buy kits in resin just for keeping them in stash - they are simply too expencive and there are too many of them for doing this... Perhaps I will have to double my weges to start buying resin kits for stash :) However, I cannot exclude, that perhaps one magic day, I will got "a Hamilcar flu" I will have to buy it and immediately do this beast... :):):)

The other story is with Yak-14: it is cold war "species" - so it is beyond my field.

Have a nice Sunday :)

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy!!!

Think the racket goes on and will have enough fuel to go wherever you can take us with your nice and magnific talents...and seem that all the nice subjects can go into the category your modeling philosophy have set. But well, everything you do and want to share is like summer rain: Very well welcome!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

• 1 month later...