If Luchs Could Kill or Luchs Aren't Everything aka What on Earth Have I Got Myself Into?

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Marvellous!  :thumbsup:

I like your convoy light too.....Those things are a bugger to paint in Braille! :lol:

Thank you, I'm getting a tic in the eye just imagining trying to paint the formation light in 1/72nd-1/76th :hypnotised:

Ok tonight, after a mammoth decalling session all 5 decals have been applied ;)

As there were only 5 decals I spot applied some heavily thinned Xtracrylix gloss varnish to the relevant areas.

MirageHobby35SdKfz123LuchsWIP-11-08-16ba

Tomorrow I shall clean off the excess setting solution and the give the whole thing a coat of matt clear in preparation for the weathering :hobbyhorse:

As ever, many thanks for looking

More tomorrow... I hope

Waterslide Phil

• Like 8

I'd strongly recommend you consider some alternative tracks for that one Phil.....I've got a few varieties in the spares box (I've got quite a few Tiger spares in general TBH, up to and including hulls/turrets!  :nerd: ), or if you are feeling plush and want the best: 

http://shop.okbgrigorov.com/search.html?phrase=1%2F72+tiger

product_550.jpg

1/72 Tracks for Pz.VI Tiger I, late - S72141

product_572.jpg

1/72 Tracks for Pz.VI Tiger I, late, single links - S72149

product_813.jpg

1/72 Sprockets for Tiger I, type 1 - S72244

You are looking at just shy of 30 Euros for that lot.....Before P&P!  :doh:

The sprockets are probably optional and you get eight in the pack, so you need to be a bit of a Braille Tiger fan to get full value from them.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You want chips with that?

With the Tiger build on temporary hold I have now regained enough mojo to begin weathering the Luchs.

Chipped the green with the underlying dark yellow to represent scrapes through the field applied camo and then chipped over all with XF-63 German Grey (thinned)

Fairly pleased with the result. Will be toned down with the Flory washes and mudspatters etc..

Won't be any updates tomorrow as my better half would probably kill me for modelling on our anniversary :D

Thanks for looking in and sticking with me :thumbsup:

Chippy Phil

• Like 7

Sneaky Sneaky Wishy Washy

So I managed to sneak some time tonight and did most of the washing with a mixture of different Flory washes (Dark dirt, Grime and a lightened sand mixture)

Wash goes on...

MirageHobby35SdKfz123LuchsWIP-11-08-16baMirageHobby35SdKfz123LuchsWIP-11-08-16ba

Wash wipes off..

And after more cleanup plus a little drybrush of Vallejo Steel to pick out the worn bits..

Also added rust pigments to the exhaust earlier

Need to add a little mud effect to the tracks and running gear and touch up some etails but it's nearly done :D

Thanks for looking in.

Washy Phil

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

That looks really stunning, a show stopper if ever I saw one!

Roger

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Holy moly!!! Those chips and scratches look amazing.  The wash really works too, you have done an awesome job phil. Happy anniversary old boy. 

Johnny boy:clap2:

1 hour ago, badger said:

Really like that!! Those washes have worked well.

39 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That really is a very impressive project and the weathering is some of the best I have seen. Awesome modelling! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks all, that means a lot to me :thanks:

Talk Dirty to Me :analintruder:

A flurry of activity found me touching up some details and dirtying up the tracks, running gear and lower hull.

Decided to try out the Humbrol pigment powders on this so I got out the pot of Dark Earth powder and, using the Flory sand mix as a wet base to stick the powders to I proceeded to plaster it all over the lower half of the Luchs.

I also managed to plaster it all over me, the desk, the keyboard, cutting mat, my cup of tea and the missus didn't recognise the cat.

After it had dried on I proceeded to dust it off strategically all over the room.

Refreshed the drybrushing with my old fallback of Vallejo Steel on the tracks and appropriate areas of the running gear.

We are pretty much finished. I may spot some bits to touch up and I'm undecided on finishing the ammo cans for the back of the turret but I shall call this near enough done.

I'll put up an RFI when I am able to take some better quality pictures (light and granddaughter permitting ^_^) but here's some pics to keep you all going.

It's not easy to spot but I hand painted the label on the extinguisher. Only an impression mind, you won't be able to read it :D

I also put some Vallejo Chrome on the turret vision blocks and the applied a little X-23 clear blue to simulate the coated optics.

So there it is, the Mirage Hobby 1/35 Luchs, a bit basic and needs a LOT of work to get it up to snuff but it is possible to coax a decent Luchs out of it.

Definitely not one for the beginners though :D

Thanks for all the support, help and positive comments.

Dusty Phil

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 10

I've not really followed this build until now, but looking over the last few postings I have to say, great job. The paint job is first class and the weathering is just right without going over the top.

John.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2017 at 1:01 PM, Bullbasket said:

I've not really followed this build until now, but looking over the last few postings I have to say, great job. The paint job is first class and the weathering is just right without going over the top.

John.

Thanks John, I like to try not to overdo the weathering

On 22/01/2017 at 8:53 PM, Hamden said:

A stunning result from an outstanding build and finish.

Roger

Thanks Roger

On 22/01/2017 at 10:06 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Smashing.....That's all blended in together beautifully!  :thumbsup:

All your detailing has really paid off too, a splendid representation of my favourite AFV (had you guessed).  :coolio:

Thank you Sarge, those references were a massive help with completing the build

5 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very nice dusty look, i like a lot chipping done too, :popcorn:...cheers Phil :)

Thanks Francis

15 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I think that's your best yet. Absolutely top of the pile for scratches and weathering. Did you do all the chips with a brush or did you use sponge too?

I just gotsta know? :lol:

Ace work Phil. 

Johnny

Thanks Johnny.

It was all brush and thinned paint for the chips, never had much success with the sponge technique.

Once again Thank you to everyone who commented, encouraged and corrected, this really is a brilliant community.

Whilst I wait for the Tiger bits to arrive from Badger I've gone underwater for my next build.

A very small Revell U-boat to be made OOB with no extras or scratch at all and relying on paint and weathering alone to try to bring out the best in it.

Link's in the signature if anyones interested, now where did I put my snorkel....

Phil the brush

• Like 2