Harrier GR Mk. 7/9 wing leading edges

Jens

Lads, I need help. I have a Hasegawa 1/48th scale Harrier GR Mk. 7 on the shelf of doom. The main reason it is still there are the wing leading edges - I simply cannot decide what is the best way to depict the protective tape(?) on the real ones.

Let me hear how you would tackle it.

Thanks.

Jens

On my one and only build I've just used the closest yellowish tan colour that matched the colours seen on photo's but that was many years ago before I knew what it was actually supposed to represent. I didn't realise it was clear protective tape that discolours with age.

How about a semi-Matt varnish discoloured with some appropriate colour to suit the shade required?

• Like 1

Thank you for the great suggestions. I might go with the smoke/yellow route. One of my initial ideas was to find some yellowed decal film but I think it will be difficult to find in the right size, and painting it one seems like a better idea.

Jens

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jens,

For weathered LE tape I've used Humbrol 83 Matt Ochre, which is the closest to heavily yellowed tape.

Many aircraft had different shades of tape on different sections of the wing and their tailplanes, it all depends when it was replaced.

For brand new tape, then I've just applied coats of Johnsons clear.

If you drop me a PM I'll send you some build notes to help you out.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2