1:144 Anigrand Curtiss XP-62

First post of a build since joining.

Bit of whim building this - the first kit from the stash that I grabbed after a 1 year break from the hobby. WiP on the KG144 forum. Comes as a bonus kit in the Lockheed XB-30 box. I'm also building the large bird at the moment. Anigrand also produce a 1:72 kit of this.

p62usa-4.jpg

XP-62 was basically a monster B-29 Superfort engine and eight 20mm Hispanos with a pilot and some wings. Oh and some contra-props. It was never actually tested properly because Curtiss-Wright were drafted into build additional P-47 Thunderbolts. The engine and cabin pressurisation systems were truculent and that really screwed the project from the start. It first flew in July 1943 but was scrapped in late-1943 after the contract was cancelled that September.

Good kit - goes together well with no real vices and decent level of detail. Small argument with canopy, with some fairing in to do with Vallejo filler, but much better than a lot of kits of this scale that I've played with. Otherwise pretty sweet. Humbrol and Tamiya paints used. Markings were very unexciting on the real thing so just a few stars to contend with.

image-2_zpsimguhmcd.jpg

image-2_zpsu8ggqt6q.jpeg

image_zpshesgdm9x.jpeg

It's a very, very ugly aircraft. But possibly one of the only ones built in this scale. Which is nice. A quick and painless build to ease me back into the hobby.

image_zpsd1elmvhl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Angus

• Like 10

Nice to see this forgoten prototype made so well. In curves of tail you see the same constructor hand as in C-46 or Helldiver :)

J-W

My thoughts when I saw that first picture.

It's a beast, very nicely done.

Pete