Norway buying P8 Poseidon.

RNoAF Aerobatic Team

In short, that the Norwegian Government has secretly signed an Letter of Intent with the US to buy 4 off P-8 Poseidons, with estimated service introduction around 2020. It is expected to gain broad support among all the parties in the Parlament when the new defence spending plan is to be agreed this fall.

Value of the agreement is ~11 Billion NOK (~1,25 Billion USD)

Edit 12.08.16: Improved translation

Edited by Boman

Cue a load of people telling you how the Poseidon is rubbish, can't do the job etc!

Poseidon is rubbish and can't do its job! :evil_laugh:

The company I work for has just finished re winging the Norwegian P3's (last one is just about to leave), I think they were eyeing up further work for them to extend the life further. Will the P3's be scrapped? or shifted out to a different role? Seems a shame after investing a lot in the re winging program.

Bob

Poseidon is rubbish and can't do its job! :evil_laugh:

The company I work for has just finished re winging the Norwegian P3's (last one is just about to leave), I think they were eyeing up further work for them to extend the life further. Will the P3's be scrapped? or shifted out to a different role? Seems a shame after investing a lot in the re winging program.

Bob

If they do what they did with the Hauk class FPB's, they're going to end up scrapped. They upgraded them for millions and scrapped the just a couple of years later. Seems like a standard here. They also upgrade the barracks at Sola airbase and tore them down within a year after;-)

So.... who knows....

If they do what they did with the Hauk class FPB's, they're going to end up scrapped. They upgraded them for millions and scrapped the just a couple of years later. Seems like a standard here. They also upgrade the barracks at Sola airbase and tore them down within a year after;-)

So.... who knows....

I don't think that that is just a Norwegian thing as the British MOD also does those sort of things.

With service introduction ~2020 the last of the existing P-3 Orions will have ~4 yrs service even after the recent updates. The aircraft will most likely be stored at AMARG when retired except for that/those few airframes reserved for museums and/or gate guard.

Unfortunately, the neighbours around the corner are not showing much in the way of friendliness. And it's taken a while for people to realise this and the fact that what they have left after the peace dividend was cashed in, is not enough of a deterrent.

Sub hunters is the tip of the iceberg. Probably a good time to invest in defence companies.

• Like 4

I don't think that that is just a Norwegian thing as the British MOD also does those sort of things.

Indeed, the Navy have just spent millions upgrading HMS Dilligence only to sell her last week, without telling anyone apparently.

Unfortunately, the neighbours around the corner are not showing much in the way of friendliness. And it's taken a while for people to realise this and the fact that what they have left after the peace dividend was cashed in, is not enough of a deterrent.

Sub hunters is the tip of the iceberg. Probably a good time to invest in defence companies.

If you can convince me that the people who matter have realised this, I should feel a whole lot better.

Indeed, the Navy have just spent millions upgrading HMS Dilligence only to sell her last week, without telling anyone apparently.

Actually it's RFA Diligence but even so where is that written.....it's not as of we dont need a repair ship ....never use it ....not......problem is that it's the small porthole bigger picture scenario....politicians and people in general want to see VFM they don't see the what ifs and the defence in depth thing.

Sadly they (partly their own fault) have and are doing badly defencewise to many eggs in one basket.....two white elephants and not much to put on em and as for defence contractors pah and I work for one!

Anybody heard of the corp of naval constructors!

• Like 1

Intensjonsavtale means Letter of Intent. So it is not really a signed contract. It can still be cancelled - but so can of course a contract.

More important, the government has made a decision to buy the aircraft.

Nils

You're correct Nils - Letter of Intent is the correct translation. My head is still on vacation I guess ;)

Letter of Intents are as Nils indicate not a cemented Agreement, however under the normal principles of law you should have really valid reasons for not following up on an LoI. Most likely there are conditions in the LoI relating to Parlament approval, but I guess that the Government has secured backing from the oposition parties prior to entering into the deal.

But is it the right vessel to go around the world meeting up with our ships and subs as Dilligence did, and if they knew they were going to sell, why spend millions on the refit?

But is it the right vessel to go around the world meeting up with our ships and subs as Dilligence did, and if they knew they were going to sell, why spend millions on the refit?

To make it a better deal to sell? A clapped out version would only get $$$ but a refitted modern one should get $$$$$$$$$$$, again I reiterate the 'should'!

Possibly a deal for the new one came up that was too good to miss - Diligence was scheduled to remain until 2020. Alternatievly, perhaps something came up on the current refit that was just too expensive to economically repair for a three year life?

River patrol craft ---------------------Leased

Artic patrol ship------------------------Leased

Repair and refit ship ------------------Leased

Whos running the navy ----------------H S S

Aslo if we have 25 ships why do we need 26 Admirals????