1/72 - de Havilland DH.91 Albatross resin kit by Aircraft in Miniature (AIM) - released

Homebee

Aircraft in Miniature is to release in late 2016 a 1/72nd de Havilland DH.91 Albatross resin kit - ref.?

Source: http://www.aim72.co.uk/page6.html

New kits

We have learned that the masters will be delivered in October for new models of these aircraft:

(...)

1:72 DH91 Albatross

(...)

They will all be in the Rug Rat Resins series and all can be pre-ordered from Hannants.

More news will follow as development continues.

IWM-CH14317-DH91-Albatross-205210634.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I had their Dragon and Dragonfly. They were multi media and quite ingeniously designed. Accuracy, patience and forward planning essential; quite challenging but only in the modelling sense, the parts are well made.

They seem to sell out very quickly and hold their value well.

ATB

Tony

I guess I'd better start saving!

I have a fair few of the Rugrat/AIM kits and they all seem good quality. There was a short period in time where those kits could be had for a reasonable price, and I bought more than my fair share of them!

I had heard that the DH 86 (which I really wanted) had some issues, notably the two fuselage halves being different sizes. I think that one is mostly vacform.

I must have the Albatross though. I've been after one for ages!

• 1 month later...

Picture of the master parts

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010164-a-preview-of-new-cessna-310-and-dh91-kits-from-aircraft-in-miniature/

Masters for the de Havilland DH.91 Albatross in 1/72:

Albatross_masters-600.JPG

Kits will be available from Hannant's in due course.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

6 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

The big question - any indication of price yet?

On their website link to Hannants the DH.66 & DH.90 are both £112.50. Disappointing. £50 seems reasonable but I doubt that will happen. Maybe I'll go for the 1:144 Welsh models option.

11 hours ago, snapper_city said:

On their website link to Hannants the DH.66 & DH.90 are both £112.50. Disappointing. £50 seems reasonable but I doubt that will happen. Maybe I'll go for the 1:144 Welsh models option.

That's odd, on the Hannants web site it says £64.35 for the DH 90. Given that the DH.66 is 300mm long and approx 444mm span it is a big resin model !

Edited by Haydn

18 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I've had it on good authority that the price of the D.H. 90 is in fact £64.35, not £112.50

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

And we did deliver in 2017 !!!!

Now for the DH 86 & DH 83.

Afterthought, batches of DH 84 Dragon and DH 90 Dragonfly are also currently being produced.

Edited by tnuag
Afterthought
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

It is now in stock at Hannants, but the MSRP domestic is apparently 115 GBP. 

Yes, it is a lot, but you're getting a resin kit with a length of just short of 12 inches and a 17 inch wingspan. That's a lot of aeroplane...

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 1

My own point  is that with price of 115 GBP it is only reasonable to buy if you are ready to constract it within next two-four months. If you would buy it just for stash you can be unpleasently surprised by a suddent release of injection model in price of max. 40 GBP (or even 25 GBP) within next two or five years...Anyway - I did not told that I will not buy it :)

Cheers

J-W

Good news about the Dragon and Dragonfly. I had the last release of the Dragonfly.

I wasn't overly keen on how the issue of transparency was dealt with, it reminded me of the old Rareplanes vacform Dragon Rapide kit with the clear fuselage. A Merlin injection moulded Lockheed Vega too.

I'm just not fond of the painting over clear to create the windows approach. It's personal, I know, it's probably the best way.

The Dragon will be costly if this is anything to go by. Quite a wingspan in resin at 1/72 the old Dragon.

I hear what @JWM is saying about buying and then finding an IM one released quickly too. Resin kits have advantages over IM, fine trailing edges etc. I guess that's the way to ensure sales; make the best of the advantages.

E.g. SBS and Choroszy; beautiful resin kits. AIM needs to be at this level. Does the photograph above suggests this is the case? Maybe we need some more photographs to help us decide?

I would love all three of these kits, but I have to consider things like school stuff for the stepkids, dental costs, education fees, car maintenance, kids university fund etc.

Just like J-W, I'm not saying I'll not buy. At half the price it would be a no brainer.

The AUD $ is garbage. Add shipping to it for three releases at different times; it's the same price as an airfare for one of the kids to the UK.

This is where a weak pound would help. Which I guess is the problem for British kit manufacturs, and I'm British and want to support them.

Dilemma.

Never had to think about globalisation of the world economy, when buying a kit from Woolworths as a kid :clif: .

:hmmm: 

:winkgrin:

TonyT

• Like 1