Airfix New Tool Stash Compulsive Acquirement Disorder Syndrome ANTSCADS)

Uncle Dick

Blimey, Is it just me or is everyone affected by ANTSCADS ?

I used to buy between 1 to 2 of the new Airfix releases prior to their new tool 1/72 Swordfish, then it went up to between 3 - 4 each of the new tool releases, now I cannot do without at least 5 or 6...and in some cases up to 8 or 9 kits each (Sea Kings :Tasty: were the culprits there...):

Currently

Beaufighter TF.10 x 6 on order

USAAF Bomber Resupply Set x 6 on order

I can only blame it on the quality of their new tool releases and the rumours Hornby are in financial trouble, can't be anything wrong with me can there? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Like 1

Well, I've got a comparatively mild case, but I've bought several 1/72 kits from Airfix, and I usually only would consider 72th for honkin' big things like KC-135s or the odd "in your case I'll make an exception", like the Italeri Do 24 that I'd had a low-grade craving for. I WOULD get a Do in 1/48, but not in the "how much would you pay to suffer?" case as it seems to stand now. Not only that, but I do seem to buy them in twos- "Hmm, not my scale, I've got the same subject (more or less) in 1/48... better get two."

• Like 1

Well I did buy two of the Spitfire Mk.I/II, and two of the Mk.XIX, and two of the F.22, and two of the Fw-190F-8... Hmmm, and I would like another DC-3/C-47, and I probably wouldn't mind another Shackleton, and another Hurricane. Perhaps your 'sickness' is spreading. You haven't been anywhere near San Antonio, Texas recently have you?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Should we rename this thread into AA (anonymous ANTSCADers)? As now we're not anonymous anymore? I have at least three Shacks, Whitleys (there could be a reason why I am "unsure "), at least four of the Bomber Cd. Set, Beaus, Blenheim Is, Beau & 190 DFD... of course because I ebayed them all rather cheaply. Loads of red boxes. I have never before bought so many current kits.

• Like 1

I picked up two Eduard Spitfire Mk IXs today-

I notice I buy new Airfix kits in batches too. I will get a couple of the thimble-nosed Beaufighters when they get to my neck of the woods, ditto for the JP 3, and God only knows where I'm going to put a brace of Victors at the end of the year. Perhaps they will keep my remaining half dozen Lightnings company for a while.

Hornby in general may be in trouble; I would like to think Airfix is doing reasonably well - a fair bit of my hobby money has headed its way in recent years because the temptation has proven too much.

• Like 2

Strangely, I almost never buy multiples. Though I do have a number of types that I've built multiples of (P-47, Hurricane, A-4, BAC Lightning). I have bought more than one copy of the same plastic with different decals. With 1000 kits in the stash, buying multiples seems like overkill. :pig:

• Like 2

I started buying in multples when it worked out that (in most cases) the international postage cost remained the same for two or sometimes more kits.

Funnily enough my modelling freinds now call me 'Noah' as I've now got at least two of almost every new Airfix release !!

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 4

I stopped buying Airfix kits in numbers when the local toy supermarket chain stopped carrying them. Don't know if it's good or bad... previously I used to pop in the supermarket once every few weeks to check what was new and I invariably came out with something, in no small part thanks to the very good price they used to sell for. Now that they are not as easily available anymore I'm less tempted and end up buying from a wider range of manufacturers.

Note to Hornby: do something to make Airfix kits more easily available outside the UK ! When modeller see them they'll buy them, if not they'll buy something else

Add kits going out of production and having to contemplate paying 5 - 20 times their original price on evil bay years later!

That's why I end up with so many new Airfix kits - the source where I ebayed almost all of them seems to have bought a lot of stock cleared from the cat off the German importer (besides some really fresh kits), and this has the double attraction of getting them for an attractive price AND having a good chance it will be sought after in two years time (I bite my arears for only getting one or two Javelins, but have compensated that to some extent with three big Typhoons). I used to do the same with Revell kits when their warehouse clearance went to the department stores. I mean, can you do wrong with (or resist; I can't) a Ventura (or 8...) for 10 € ? Or their Sea King 5/AEW boxing that I think went for 6 € ?

Edited by tempestfan

Note to Hornby: do something to make Airfix kits more easily available outside the UK ! When modeller see them they'll buy them, if not they'll buy something else

That's the truth - their North American distribution seems almost, if not completely, nonexistent. While I've bought several of Airfix's 1/72 new releases over the past few years (Spitfire I/II, Spitfire 22, P-51D, Typhoon) by mailorder from the UK because they interest me, there are others (Defiant, P-40B/C, fabric-wing Hurricane, maybe the Whitley) which I wouldn't bother to order online but would grab off the hobby shop shelf if they were available there, but they're not.

John

Yes

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The Horsa is a reasonable kit (the Mk I anyway. Don't get me started on what's wrong with the Mk II) I just hope that the Hamilcar is better. (A boy can wish can't he? )

Shuffle, shuffle...."Hi,ah, my name is Dennis,ah,ah, Daniel, yes Daniel, and I'm an ANTSCADer." Shuffle, shuffle, sitting down on a creaky chair.

Edited by DennisTheBear
  • Like 1

Shuffle, shuffle...."Hi,ah, my name is Dennis,ah,ah, Daniel, yes Daniel, and I'm an ANTSCADer." Shuffle, shuffle, sitting down on a creaky chair.

"Hello Dennis erm Daniel, welcome to ANTSCADs Anonymous. My name is Dave and I too am an ANTSCADer. Its been 6 weeks since my last Airfix kit and I'm taking it one day at a time. We all know that one kit is too many and two is never enough."

Sorry, couldn't resist it :blush:

DC

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The Horsa is a reasonable kit (the Mk I anyway. Don't get me started on what's wrong with the Mk II) I just hope that the Hamilcar is better. (A boy can wish can't he? )

yes