Vulcan Pilot Uniform

PlasticSoldier

Hi,

I'm making an Airfix Avro Vulcan but I'd like to make it as if it was still in active service, not as a display aircraft (like it is in the set)

So does anyone know what the uniform would of been like for the pilots, how many were there and Humbrol colours to paint the unuiform.

Many thanks,

PlasticSoldier

Hi

The colours changed over the years, you need to say which year you wish to do the model.

I can give you some colours when you say which year.

I was at Scampton on Vulcans and was flying clothing so serviced the kit.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi

The colours changed over the years, you need to say which year you wish to do the model.

I can give you some colours when you say which year.

I was at Scampton on Vulcans and was flying clothing so serviced the kit.

Paul

I would say 1970's or around when it changed from white to grey and green.

1960's Blue grey flying suits, Yellow May Wests, Black, laced up flying high boots with the suit bottoms tucked into the boot top. Some wore the peak cap but many chose the beret. One would carry the 'Go bag' chained to his wrist.

John

• Like 1

1960's Blue grey flying suits, Yellow May Wests, Black, laced up flying high boots with the suit bottoms tucked into the boot top. Some wore the peak cap but many chose the beret. One would carry the 'Go bag' chained to his wrist.

John

Thanks, very helpful. What about the helmets?

Silver with the clear visor which slid up a central track as I recall. The clear visor was covered when not in the aircraft with a black cloth coverall. Another odd piece of apparel was a black eye patch worn by the two pilots. This would only have been worn on the run in to a target. Each pilot would have one eye covered so that they wouldn't be totally blinded by any other nearby nuclear flash. Strange days!

John

Vulcan35Sqn.jpg

Photo c1967 Edited with visor cover info.

• Like 1

Hi

Mk 7 Flying coverall Blue/grey till about 1975 one or 2 still left in 1980 hard time getting the grew to hand back they would hide them when need service so you did not scrap them.

Mk 9 Flying coverall Green as in above photo off 35 Sqn. Most in the photo are Mk 11's from early 70s to 1979 ish .

Mk 11 Flying coverall Green as above There is a good chance I serviced quite a bit of that kit in the photo ( the 1st one to be flame retardant ) about 1976/7 on wards.

LSJ's Mk4 Orange 60's till mid 70's still this LSJ on the PPJ of 27 Sqn for Bombay Duck flights only ( not blast proof on ejection )

Sorry can not remember the MK of LSJ I serviced loads of them when in the RAF, Mid 70's till end of service off Vulcan Green colour ( Blast proof on ejection )

Boots As John says for the 60s then in 70's they are more like work boots lower not calf length black in colour . in summer you could have brown/tan summer flying boots.

The pilots would have LRG's in blue around there lower legs rear grew none, that's 2 front and 3 rear grew, and if on a Ranger 1 or 2 Crew chiefs no LRG's or on a check flight a checker's in the 6th or 7th seat with out LRG's.

Helmets

Mk 1A Silver dark visor which slid up a central track from 70's on wards a white stripe running from the end of the track to the back. they also had a G helmet that was worn below this.

Mk2A Early 1970 pos earlier to late 70's White , you can not see the dark visor on this Helmet as it went up in to a cover only see it if down this helmet had a yellow bar just above the eye line so it could pull down the visor when you used the face blind handle on the e-seat you used small levers on one side to do it most of the time. Clear visor down all the time when flying.

Mk 3C Green with dark and clear visors on outside early 70s to end of service of Vulcan. This helmet was some times painted white if going to a hot climate.

MK4 Green only one or two for testing

PEC Green Front Crew

SSC Green Rear Crew

Helmet bags Tan in colour

In flight refreshment box a large silver box with a tan shoulder strap, God for bid you if you left this behind.

There is a lot more but unless you know what to look for you would not miss it.

Hope this helps

Paul

Trying to remember things I did for work over 30 years ago, have trouble with last week now.

Edited by PaulT 876
  • Like 1

Hi

Mk 7 Flying coverall Blue/grey till about 1975 one or 2 still left in 1980 hard time getting the grew to hand back they would hide them when need service so you did not scrap them.

Mk 9 Flying coverall Green as in above photo off 35 Sqn. Most in the photo are Mk 11's from early 70s to 1979 ish .

Mk 11 Flying coverall Green as above There is a good chance I serviced quite a bit of that kit in the photo ( the 1st one to be flame retardant ) about 1976/7 on wards.

LSJ's Mk4 Orange 60's till mid 70's still this LSJ on the PPJ of 27 Sqn for Bombay Duck flights only ( not blast proof on ejection )

Sorry can not remember the MK of LSJ I serviced loads of them when in the RAF, Mid 70's till end of service off Vulcan Green colour ( Blast proof on ejection )

Boots As John says for the 60s then in 70's they are more like work boots lower not calf length black in colour . in summer you could have brown/tan summer flying boots.

The pilots would have LRG's in blue around there lower legs rear grew none, that's 2 front and 3 rear grew, and if on a Ranger 1 or 2 Crew chiefs no LRG's or on a check flight a checker's in the 6th or 7th seat with out LRG's.

Helmets

Mk 1A Silver dark visor which slid up a central track from 70's on wards a white stripe running from the end of the track to the back. they also had a G helmet that was worn below this.

Mk2A Early 1970 pos earlier to late 70's White , you can not see the dark visor on this Helmet as it went up in to a cover only see it if down this helmet had a yellow bar just above the eye line so it could pull down the visor when you used the face blind handle on the e-seat you used small levers on one side to do it most of the time. Clear visor down all the time when flying.

Mk 3C Green with dark and clear visors on outside early 70s to end of service of Vulcan. This helmet was some times painted white if going to a hot climate.

MK4 Green only one or two for testing

PEC Green Front Crew

SSC Green Rear Crew

Helmet bags Tan in colour

In flight refreshment box a large silver box with a tan shoulder strap, God for bid you if you left this behind.

There is a lot more but unless you know what to look for you would not miss it.

Hope this helps

Paul

Trying to remember things I did for work over 30 years ago, have trouble with last week now.

Amazing! Thank you so much!