Scratch build Project - first ever kitbash

Hi everyone
I've often said before in many other threads of people who have already done and do this sort of thing, that I've always admired said people who can scratch build these amazing subjects. And for a long time, I have been thinking about having a crack at one. I have an online friend who for years has been pushing me to do one, but it wasn't fear or doubt that was stopping me - it was lack of a cool enough subject that I liked and really wanted to do.

However, I have finally now decided on a subject. Drawing on various art works and other sci-fi builds I've seen in my quest for inspiration and design ideas, I've settled on a Deep Space Passenger cruiser. I might do something military another time, but for now, I'm going with civilian, so no weapons.

I'm still coming up with a solid design plan for the rear and middle of the ship but what ever I think of now will no doubt change as the build progresses. But for now, I do have a vague notion of direction. I'm always up for constructive criticism and suggestions, so feel free.

Starting with the main body of the ship, I'll use a 1/144 Revell U-Boat as the basis. I love the sleek lines of the U-Boat and have long thought it would make a great basis for a very cool spaceship.

I was looking through my parts boxes for something to add and found an old superstructure from some WW2 1/700 battleship and thought this was could be about the right style piece I was looking for. Since then, I have bought a modern day 1/700 US ship and I'll use that one instead - with modifications of course. Then I'm thinking about a bridge and found this marvelous look little piece that when flipped over looks just like a spaceship control deck could look like. It's sleek-ish in design and would work well with the overall shape.

Then I'm thinking about engines and what type to go for. SBY style single exhaust or Star Wars 2 tubed style side by sides? Or how about externally, like Star Trek but not make it look too obviously like ST? Event Horizon kind of wing? Nozzles were an easier choice to make: I'll just use resin copies of the nozzles that I did up for the Venator but have them sitting inside another tube, so the insides would be white lights and around the outside blue lighting.

Interior lighting would be aqua blue in color and framed using some radiator panel PE (again, like the bridge of the Venator windows)

Up front and down below, have a forward facing multi level hangar bay and with another 2 hangar bays on the side wards facing walls.

So, here are some of the core items I'll be using. Lots of cutting and sanding to do

IMG_3791_zpsupmzhyle.jpg

Here are some basic pictures of how I sort of envision if going

IMG_3792_zpsawbnzlfc.jpg

IMG_3793_zpsqpwoi5q9.jpg

IMG_3795_zpsxoeay5ew.jpg

I foresee a LOT of cutting going forward and possible total public humiliation if I get this wrong :)lol Not that I ever done that before.... :winkgrin:

Well, let the fun begin!

Thanks for looking

MH

**Edit - I have changed the opening words to something more understandable - I think)

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 13

thanks Hunter :) The interesting bit will come when I start trying to get everything to hold together in one cohesive piece. I think me and Milliput are going to become quite close friends

The U-Boat is an excellent idea, that's going to give some very nice lines :) Reminds of those Star Wars frigates that had a bunch of upside down ship hulls glued together and bodged, offers some great shapes but nothing easily recognisable :)

It should probably have a ton of guns on but I suppose civvies need to get around too :D

• Like 1

Go for it. It can't look wrong because

it doesn't exist except in your head.

Is it too late to work in a piece of wood

or something as a central core for strength.

You can then drill through to it for a support

rod to go into.

Car filler is cheaper than milliput if you need

large quantities.

Spaceships don't need to be streamlined,

but they look cool when they are!

• Like 1

Is it too late to work in a piece of wood

or something as a central core for strength.

You can then drill through to it for a support

rod to go into.

No, it's no where near to late for that. I have given a lot of thought into an internal frame and how this thing will be displayed. I've given thought to constructing some kind of docking station or dry dock-like piece, but I may end up going with a stand through the middle. But that seems a bit boring. I'll make a judgement call on that later but not too late

Car filler is cheaper than milliput if you need

large quantities.

I forgot all about car filler. I've never used it myself, but have seen plenty of people that do.

Spaceships don't need to be streamlined,

but they look cool when they are!

Completely agree with you there. I want this to be a mix of sleek and chunky, and TBH, I have no idea on how I will achieve this but I'll give it a go

The U-Boat is an excellent idea, that's going to give some very nice lines :) Reminds of those Star Wars frigates that had a bunch of upside down ship hulls glued together and bodged, offers some great shapes but nothing easily recognisable :)

It should probably have a ton of guns on but I suppose civvies need to get around too :D

Thanks Jim

I so knew you'd ask me about having guns :D

If I decide to build a military vessel, don't worry, you'll get your fill of weapons. I'm also thinking I might like to have a go at building an SBY type ship...one day

• Like 1

Yeah I can see that too, but connections to any show will no doubt ensue.

This is a configuration I was thinking about as well:

IMG_3796_zpszkfklny9.jpg

IMG_3797_zpstntdepuw.jpg

I like it but it somehow feels kind of 50's retro. I would need to reshape the smaller subs though.

What do you think? Yes, No?

• Like 5

Like it. With all the panel lines it

looks like you're going towards

Steampunk in space!

If the smaller subs are going out

on pylons or outriggers then I'd

be tempted to make those of a

skeletal nature otherwise it might

look too Star trek.

I wouldn't alter the small subs too much,

who knows what the engines should look

like? maybe just add a few greeeblies?

unfortunately, almost all of the panel lines will be going. I'm wondering if 4 of them in some kind of X formation would be the way to go? I'd even consider putting the smaller subs sideways as opposed to straight up and down.

I do like the skeletal frame support frames as well, but I'm not sure if that kind of style would fit in with the more solid wing-type support that I had in mind. I shall consider it a bit more though as the idea definitely has merit

• Like 1

Loving where you're going with this.

4 engines, on outriggers or pylons,could work. Thinking along the lines of the main ship in x-bomber ( or star fleet as it was in the uk). You might have to be a bit careful though, as it could end up too x-wingey.

Also perhaps look at the corvette roger young, from starship troopers. That's another cool design, even if it does pass more than a nodding resemblance to battlestar gallactica.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

A friend gave me the idea about putting these little subs up front and I have come up with some more configurations. I'll have to buy some more of those little subs if I go with one of them. I especially really like the last one myself

Sorry for the first 2 blurry pictures. Very shameful
IMG_3804_zpsez7vzlsj.jpg

IMG_3805_zps4zesrme2.jpg

IMG_3810_zpsqclxxhjj.jpg

IMG_3815_zps8j6vyqsn.jpg

IMG_3817_zpst12r3o61.jpg

I think I will develop the last one - that's my favorite yet. I'll use a smaller 1/72 F-14 as the 48th is just to large.

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 8

I think the last configuration works very nicely, got some nice bulk to it :)

I know this is all made up but I would say the engine set up works well with the apparent centre of mass if we imagine the U-boat bit is for the passengers and the F-14 bit has all the reactors, cargo, fuel and other industrial stuff. That puts the mass at the bottom of the design which is also where your main line of thrust is, makes an efficient design :) If it was real it wouldn't go spinning off axis :D

Also got a lot of engines, and they are big ones compared to the size of the ship. This thing will be fast, like an ocean liner sort of thing rather than a cruise ship. Maybe she's some sort of express ship to get you from point A-B as fast as possible, Concorde of space or something :)

I might suggest making the outrigger engines part of an FTL system, you've got plenty of linear thrust with the Venator engines so maybe they'd be sort of a warp drive thing. Or if they are conventional engines maybe cant them at different angles so the front ones don't melt the back ones :D

It's going to look great I think :)

• Like 2

I was going to suggest using the subs sideways so that the conning towers would become the root of the pylons, but it looks like you're already doing that in the newer layouts. They could even swivel...

The last one is more Gerry Anderson than the others, it's fun. Going to be more work to fair it all in than the "three subs" layouts but it also looks less like the component parts. Given the huge engine cluster, are the sub-nacelles for warp, or lifeboats/launches, or something else?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I'm going to go with Jim's suggestion and have them as some kind of FTL drive system. I'm thinking of ways to change the little subs into something a lot less like the original donor parts they are. I'll have to buy another 2 of them, but they're cheap as chips anyway

I like the look of the last one the best and I was playing around with the configuration last night and reckon I've found the right shape. I'll need to fully scratch build the center part of the ship but that was always in the plan

• Like 1

thanks guys. It's definitely growing on me. Good suggestion Chris, but alas, this is a civilian cruise ship, so no weapons. But you're quite right though - they could make pretty cool weapons

Great work as always. Though Ilike the 48th scale Tomcat parts. Gives it a bit more presence, especially with all the engines to the aft end of the ship.

I agree

May i ask what scale you build in?

"ship-scales" like 1/350 or 1/720

Or some plane scales like (most likely) 1/144?

You work is genius up to now

Regards

Levin

• Like 1

Lovely idea! Makes me want to buy a few subs and get smashing!

I'm partial to just two of the 'drive pods,' either close and to the stern, or wide and to the bow.

Wide and to the bow would be better, especially when using a smaller F-14 body to balance the look at the back.

Always like your stuff Mr. Hatter!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

thanks for your interest guys. I'm almost done with the Railroad gun and once that's finished, I will be devoting my time to this. I have bought all the major companents I need for the moment and I got the last 2 subs yesterday.

I'm going to go with the 4 pods in the last arrangement as that speaks to me.

Levin, in regards to your questions, I don't have any particular scale I build in as I do all sorts of subjects and buy based on what can fit on the display shelves :) I have no idea what scale this is meant to be in but TBH, I don't find it too relevant - I'll just be doing it by eyesight (which could be my undoing)

Thanks again guys for your suggestions and input - it is gratefully received and thoroughly considered

Be back soon

MH

• Like 3