Scratch build Project - first ever kitbash

Here's another one to consider,

The halves of the small subs don't need to go together.

Space them out with sections of thick plastic card or sprue & filler even.

This will help to disguise the origin (if such is your wish) and

may add a certain 'look' to the engine pods.

greetings

Well, I have finally made a start on this, beginning with the superstructure. This is just the general shapes, so detailing etc is still to come. I've chopped away a fair bit and am currently filing off the nice raised details but to be replaced with my own. I'll also be adding some eves and so on and I'll lengthen the front part and make it more swept back

The ring thing at the rear will be recast in clear and I'm going to make it into an observation deck. I am still working out where I'll put it. On the top of the large deck or behind? I'm thinking maybe on the top and trim down that large deck area (well, I'll be doing that anyway)

There are 2 pictures of the intended bridge - one upside down and the other not, although which is which remains to be seen.

IMG_3889_zpsfqvutm39.jpg

IMG_3890_zpsuy3ruse3.jpg

IMG_3891_zpsdywufjhm.jpg

IMG_3892_zpsqydcw5y8.jpg

I am entertaining the use of the larger deck there as a landing pad for VIP transport shuttles but that would mean I would have to open the rear section and make a small hangar bay. It's do-able, but seeing as I intend to have much larger hangar bays in the aft of the main body and also down below up front, it maybe seen as unnecessary and a bit of over kill
Anyways, more later
Si
  • Like 4

I like the second bridge option, with some windows detailed on that'll look a lot like the bridge cruise ships have.

For the hangar bays, well its a civilian ship so they can be a decent size, you don't have to worry about them being a weak point in the armour :) Lot of cruise ships carry jet skis, pontoons and stuff, secondary small craft for the guests to use, so perhaps that might apply here? The Hangars wouldn't be just for loading and offloading but as a store for smaller craft? I mean you probably wouldn't take the whole ship down to the rings of saturn or whatever but you could send down tour parties in secondary craft?

Just musings :)

Edited by Misrule
  • Like 1

Coooool project :thumbsup:

I agree that Subs make a great base for a space ship. I have such a project too - but not for a huge cruiser but for a one man (women to be precize) spy ship, inspired by the MaK universe.

What you arranged looks already stunning - this will be an incredible ship once completed.

:popcorn:

Rene

• Like 2

I like the second bridge option, with some windows detailed on that'll look a lot like the bridge cruise ships have.

For the hangar bays, well its a civilian ship so they can be a decent size, you don't have to worry about them being a weak point in the armour :) Lot of cruise ships carry jet skis, pontoons and stuff, secondary small craft for the guests to use, so perhaps that might apply here? The Hangars wouldn't be just for loading and offloading but as a store for smaller craft? I mean you probably wouldn't take the whole ship down to the rings of saturn or whatever but you could send down tour parties in secondary craft?

Just musings :)

in regards to the hangar and not needing to worry about it being a weak point was precisely what I thought too which is why I am going to add a couple of them. I also thought about pleasure craft and private/VIP ships being able to dock and so on - although I have to be careful not to over complicate things and get carried away with these detailing plans or I'll find myself burnt out and frustrated.

In relation to the build itself, I have had to break it down into sections and work from there. I have no idea on how I will mate the top and bottom halves of the ship, but I will figure it out soon enough. I will be back on this tonight. I have drilled out the windows for the bridge and will use a strip of white plastic to go over the top of them - not only diffusing the SMD which will be inside (once they arrive that is) but it also gives it quite a Sci-fi look somehow. I just wish you could get Aqua colored SMD's. As it is, I have bought some blue ones and will dip them in green paint to change the color to Aqua. I'm still trying to decide if I should add an SBY inspired communications tower (the big wing-like structure protruding directly behind the superstructure). I'm thinking I might as it would look quite cool. I'll have to make it curved somehow to keep inline with the curvaceous nature of the top body but that shouldn't be too much of an issue

As a side note, I have a plan for the entrance to the hangars and will be cutting out some clear perspex in the shape of the hole and sticking SMD's on the outer edges to give the inner edges a nice glow - like a shield - except instead of being blue, I will have mine red. I may even have green on the left and red on the right - just like real ships (and for interest)

All these plans and ideas.... I just hope I have the skills and patience to pull it off!

How about just docking tubes sticking out either side?

That way you can have larger ships that don't fit the

hangar bays attached to your creation.

that's not such a bad idea actually - I like it

I shall see where I can factor that in

thanks Pete!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I thought while I had the camera out etc I would take some pics of my starship project. Yes, I have started it and am going along quite happily. I have most things sorted out in my head as to how it's all going to work. I have scraped the F-14 body as it was too hard to integrate into the main body. I have other ideas on what to do

The only bits to actually be glued in are the start of the superstructure/bridge and the nose section. The strip of plastic the bridge is sitting on is only taped there for the moment.

I forgot to snap a picture of the start of the front antenna array that sits below the nose and also the main command bridge (which finally has an SMD inside it - again, pics of that later)

IMG_3950_zpsskrtovoj.jpg

IMG_3949_zps7l267yrw.jpg

IMG_3948_zps7onzhs4f.jpg

IMG_3952_zpskaj11lrr.jpg

I have started making a rear hangar deck and will begin the bottom section of the ship soon, but I have to add some raised panel detail on the main body first before I start anything else

The bridge section still has quite a way to go yet but you can see the general shape of it forming nicely. I am yet to decide what I will do with the space at the rear of the structure. I'm thinking some kind of raked antenna/fin like the Yamato could be the way to go. Nothing is concrete though and I am open to ideas

Anyways, as always, thanks for stopping in and having a look!

Si

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues as it's usual glacial pace. I have finally got the lighting installed into the main superstructure and I will start on the body lighting soon
Most of the detailing has gone on but there is still more to add, which I will do once it is secured onto the body.

I'm thinking of either machinery or a forest under a glass roof (as suggested by someone on another forum). I do like that idea but I'm not quiet entirely sure how I would pull that off. The machinery is cool but maybe not quiet in keeping with the civilian passenger liner theme of clean lines and hidden equipment.

IMG_4018_zps56vj4gzt.jpg

IMG_4017_zpscbx7cvfj.jpg

IMG_4019_zpsumuhqt91.jpg

That space at the back there will be a private/leisure craft hangar bay...eventually

IMG_4021_zpsddkntnpn.jpg

IMG_4022_zps4cm8jna0.jpg

This part is the start of the forward sensor array which will sit on the chin of the ship. Below that will be a larger hangar bay for supply ships and larger craft

IMG_4023_zpsofojpynw.jpg

IMG_4024_zpsmkqhle4c.jpg

I am still playing with the F-14 body idea and have reshaped things slightly but still not entirely convinced. I like the idea of the flared out body but it seems a bit chunky at present.

I may just stick with my original plan of building the shape from scratch. I'll play around with it some more before committing either way

IMG_4031_zpsfdbwv6gh.jpg

IMG_4033_zpsye03it2w.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I will update again soon

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 6

Looking great.

For the F-14 body, have you considered moving the whole thing upward, so it is not slung under the main hull?

You'd have to cut into the F-14 body, chucking the center section and graft the engines and wing gloves onto the sub sides. Even if it is just as high as the bulges on the sub hull, it would integrate the separate parts rather than having it look simply as an 'add-on.'

• Like 1

yeah, I have considered that greatly, but because I am not 100% sold on the idea, I haven't proceeded to do the relevant cuts as yet

I'm just not sure I want that conventional thruster arrangement. Decisions decisions 

I think machinery on the upperworks isn't a bad idea, even the most luxurious ships still need the various mooring lines and capstans, cranes, exhausts, various radar and comms masts. I can imagine the same would be true in the future, if anything I bet they have an even bigger array of communication gear because every room will want space internet installed :) 

Likewise plenty of radar, so many micro meteors, dust and debris out there that could be fatal you'd want to see it coming especially as you don't have warship grade hull to shrug off the hits. Probably don't need to go over the top, I'm sure they'll have more efficient systems by then, but I reckon you'd want to provide a lot of comms bandwith for passengers and you'd want very clear sensors, that would suggest a need for hardware albeit clustered in the crew sections.

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Looking great.

For the F-14 body, have you considered moving the whole thing upward, so it is not slung under the main hull?

You'd have to cut into the F-14 body, chucking the center section and graft the engines and wing gloves onto the sub sides. Even if it is just as high as the bulges on the sub hull, it would integrate the separate parts rather than having it look simply as an 'add-on.'

Just caught this post and its looks fantastic.

Another take on the idea above may be to turn the F14 body upside down. May be less cutting involved to raise it up doing this? Then also gives a smooth lower surface (the upper section of the F14) to attach more intakes/engines to?

don't I know it...

I am leaning more and more to ditching the F-14 body and going with my other plan. I think it'll look the part. I spent most of last night making the small rear hangar bay and I'll be adding some lights and paint to it soon. I was thinking runway style light strip leading to the entrance could be a way to go, but if not, it'll be piping and such giving it that industrial look - which as I mentioned isn't quite in keeping with the smooth lines it has now.

Too many ideas and not enough room....

• Like 1

Looking great so far, I quite like the F-14 body as the shape seems "right" somehow but it would be hard to blend.

The little canted fins on the bridge are cute and definitely give it that ocean liner flair.

Cheers,

Will

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not, I am still plugging away at it. Almost finished the rear hangar bay - just need to add a roof and hook it all up to some LEDs

IMG_4091_zpsdfrjy1ah.jpg

IMG_4090_zpsprg8kfwi.jpg

IMG_4092_zpsodrosmqb.jpg

slowly slowly..... :D

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...