1:72 AZ Models Supermarine Spitfire F. Mk. XIVe "Ginger" Lacey

Hi mates, here are some pictures of my latest build - a Supermarine Spitfire Mk. XIVe. This has the markings of 17 Squadron Leader and ace James "Ginger" Lacey in the SEAC theatre during early 1945. I used the 1:72 scale kit from AZ Models, along with a variety of aftermarket accessories.

This was the first time I used one of the new photoetch cockpit sets from Marabu Design. It was a bit fiddly, but I think it looks great in the model, and certainly more to scale than the kit components. I may just use these on all of the AZ Spitfires in my stash.

Project: Supermarine Spitfire F. Mk. XIVe

Kit: AZ Models Supermarine Spitfire F. Mk. XIVe (kit number AZS7205)
Scale: 1:72 (not quite as big as 1:48, but with more character)
Decals: From the kit, representing 17 Squadron in the SEAC theatre during early 1945, SEAC roundels and fin flash from Model Alliance sheet 72118, and stencils from Aviaeology sheet AOD72S09.

Photoetch: Marabu Design cockpit set M72014, Eduard Interior Set No. SS242, Yahu instrument panel 7209, and fret included with kit.

Resin: Quickboost 72164 Spitfire Mk. XIV Propeller, 72240 Spitfire Mk. XIV exhaust (round), Quickboost gyro gunsight; SBS Four-spoke wheels 72027

Metal: Master 72006 Spitfire E Wing Late Hispano 20 mm Cannons & 0.50 calibre fairings
Vacuform: Falcon Spitfire Canopy Set
Paint: Gunze H73 Dark Green, H74 Sky, H75 Dark Sea Grey (masquerading as Ocean Grey), H309 FS34079, H47 Red Brown, H306 FS36270 (masquerading as Medium Sea Grey), H308 FS36375, H338 FS36495, H335 Medium Sea Grey, H329 FS13538 Yellow, H95 Smoke Grey, H93 Clear Blue, H92 Clear Orange, my own custom mix of RAF Interior Green, H12 Flat Black, H11 Flat White; Alclad 101 Aluminum, 111 Magnesium, 115 Stainless Steel, 314 Klear Kote Flat
Weathering: All weathering was done after camouflage scheme and markings were applied through a combination of post-shading, pastels, and silver pencil. A panel line wash was only applied to the control surfaces.

Improvements/Corrections

1. Seat, instrument panel, bulkheads, harnesses, rudder pedals, control column, rear view mirror, tread boards, and landing gear doors are all made from Marabu, Eduard, and Yahu photoetch components.
  2. Instrument panel compass was scratchbuilt.
  3. Cut open the kit canopy, and used only the windscreen. The sliding canopy and fixed rear portion came from the Falcon vacuform set.
  4. Propeller and exhaust stacks from Quickboost resin
  5. Resin wheels/tyres from SBS
  6. Camouflage pattern was airbrushed freehand
  7. Added whip aerial with 0.005" diameter Nitinol wire
  8. All weathering done with post shading (the way real airplanes weather)

Build thread: Link

All told, this was a fun, relaxing little build. It's always good to sneak in a build like this in-between the bigger projects. This is the first AZ Spitfire that I've built (although I have a ton in the stash) and it went together well. I didn't encounter any of the problems that I've read about with these kits, and I think the finished model looks the part. That's great since the Spit 14 has always been one of my favourites. She's a beautiful, elegant, menacing bird!

Note: The red doped patches on the wing leading edges are present in many pictures of SEAC Spitfire XIVe aircraft. Even though the outer machine guns were not installed, the bays were empty and the blast tubes present to allow changing armament if required. Consequently, the patches were applied over the blast tube exits.

So on with the pictures!

IMG_0556

IMG_0559

IMG_0557

IMG_0561

IMG_0563

IMG_0562

IMG_0567

IMG_0566

IMG_0565

IMG_0558

IMG_0568

IMG_0569

Here is a shot of the Marabu photoetch cockpit being assembled, and compared with the kit parts:

IMG_0114

IMG_0121

And I'll leave you with the man himself, Ginger Lacey.

Flight_Lieutenant_J_H_-Ginger-_Lacey_of_No._501_Squadron_RAF_in_the_cockpit_of_his_Supermarine_Spitfire_Mk_I_at_Colerne_Wiltshire_29_May_1941._CH2793

Who liked to build model airplanes!

lacey with model

Next project is the new 1:72 scale Buccaneer S.1 from Scale Resin. That will be a really fun build! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 46

Thats a real beaut Bill, I'd say the best 1/72 Spitfire XIV I've seen but having a notoriously unreliable memeory for such details & not wanting to offend anyone, I'll stick with, as good as any I've seen ( & I can't remember any others as good. :) )

Steve.

• Like 1

What Steve said :ditto:

An absolute stunner. Every bit looks good; propellor, wheels, exhausts really good, camoflauge spot on. Good beyond words :)

:goodjob:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

That is simply one of the finest Spitfire models I've seen in any scale Bill, that it's in the one true scale makes it even finer! Abolutely superb build & once again a great thread showing how it came together!

Really wonderful work!

Keith

• Like 1

Stunning! :worthy: It looks like a much bigger scale, the post-shading effect is just perfect and the weathering is overall perfectly balanced :clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

Lovely work, my eyes & sausage fingers would be struggling with that photo etch in 1/72 - bad enough in 1/48.

He was quite a character, I remember reading that he was initially offered low back Spits & turned them down for something that looked more like a Spitfire. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25060949-ginger-lacey

Pete

• Like 1

On 8/10/2016 at 3:39 PM, Buzby061 said:

He was quite a character, I remember reading that he was initially offered low back Spits & turned them down for something that looked more like a Spitfire.

I read somewhere while researching this build, that when he first saw the low back, bubble top he exclaimed "That's not a bloody Spitfire!" :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate it. :)

I forgot to post a little family get-together, in this case the Airfix Mk.I, the Revell Mk.Vb, and the AZ Mk. XIVe. It's interesting to see them together, as it becomes quite obvious how many changes were made just across these three marks, let alone the entire Spitfire line.

IMG_0579

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4