RAF Bell 412 on fire in North Wales

Wafu

Well, they are flown in RAF markings by mostly military crews. As far as I am concerned that makes them RAF. For Raven's benefit there are 11 (now ten) Griffin HT.1s split between the Defence Helicopter Flying School at Shawbury and the SAR Training Unit at Valley, with four Griffin HAR.2s with No.84 Squadron at Akrotiri. They are all, as cmatthewbacon says, owned by the contractor FBS and flown by military and civilian crews (purely military in Cyprus). In addition the Army Air Corps has a number of contractor-owned Bell 212s at Middle Wallop and in Canada. The Griffins will be replaced when the new training contract comes into effect from next year.

Apart from that, at least the crew did not have to start a fire to keep warm while waiting for the rescue team, and with that pall of smoke it wasn't difficult to find them either. For the number crunchers it was ZJ241.

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 2

The RAF have 412's - these are the ones that once made up the Belize flight, returned to the UK from Belize some 5ish years ago.

Fully owned by RAF - no civilian contractors

The Belize flight were 212s and were Army operated. They are now in Kenya. There are other 212s with 7 flight in Brunei.

The 412 & 212 are civilian owned (cobham previously FBHeliservices) but military registered (and painted in training colours; as are the squirrels), the 212's came back from Belize in 2012/13 (I offloaded them of the truck). There are 212's in Brunei and Middle Wallop with 412's as stated above.

One of the 212's is painted white having just had its D check but the sale fell through, so it's only ground run once a month. I work at Middle Wallop and have worked on the 212 & squirrel. The Brunei cabs will come to MWP for their D checks and will be swapped for a MWP 212. I'll speak with my mate at Valley but normally it's not the done thing to make calls to fish.

• Like 1

T7 Models is spot on. Search and Rescue Training Unit (SARTU) Griffin HT1 / Bell 412, part of the Defence Helicopter Flying School. Some of the instructors are ex-mil civilians, hence the mention of civvies on the crew. The top of Yr Aran is as good as anywhere to land in a hurry, although slightly less good to walk off when wearing flying kit...

All safe and well - the hardware can be replaced.