Hi Folks. I don't know whether this question has arisen before. When I was a child, Mum and Dad used to take me quite often to Blackpool for the day (We lived in Preston which is only about 17 miles away). I used to watch the aircraft flying pleasure trips around Blackpool Tower, although my parents couldn't afford the money for a trip. Now I am a model making adult, I want to make a model of one of the Dragon Rapide's that flew around the Tower. I have the Heller/Airfix 1/72 kit. I found a photo on the web of Westair's 'Rapide' G-AJKW. Unfortunately the photo is, reflecting the era, in monochrome. This poses a question as to the colour scheme. I would think it is mostly aluminium or silver, but I don't know what colour the lettering or markings are. Are there any like minded modellers out there in the 'Britmodeller World' who can help me with this question. I had thought of contacting Westair (who are still in business), but thought I'd try 'yous guys and gals' first. Here's Hoping !

Regards

Weeman

Edited by weemanreturns
  • Like 1

I flew round the tower in one of those in 1957. There were two plying their trade that day, and I've a feeling I flew in the non-Westair one. We did have a photo but it is long lost. Sorry I can't be more help - but there has been a thread on the subject before. If you persevere you may be lucky enough to find it - but I can't guarantee that it will help.

Contact Westair, they still there and the guy that runs it day to day knows a lot about the history of the company and aircraft ( Peter is his name) iirc they have some pics of the rapide on the waiting room wall

• Like 1

Thanks 'Graham Boak' and 'markjame68' for your kind replies. I had a feeling there would have been an earlier post on this subject. I decided to try you guys on 'Britmodeller' first as I have always had brilliant information and help before. I will take the tip to contact 'Westair' in the hope someone can help me with this subject. Sometimes the people who know the information have left, but the info you are giving me sounds hopeful. I will come back to you on this one.

Best Regards

Weeman

Hi.

In the late 1940s, while on holiday in Blackpool, my parents took me to Squires Gate for a pleasure flight in a Dragon Rapide, unfortunately, as we were waiting, it started to rain and we were ushered over to a Dakota that was parked there, to save us waiting in the rain, so we all got a rather extended flight round the local area rather than a quick pleasure flight. However, my point is that pleasure flights round the Tower were also given from Ainsdale Beach, near Southport, by Dragon Rapide aircraft and the larger 4 engined version, together with various DH Moth aircraft. This was my first ever flight in what was to become a career in flying that has included Comet, Viscount, Caravelle. TU62, B747, B777, Canberra, Victor, and of course, Concorde.

Robin.

Contact Westair, they still there and the guy that runs it day to day knows a lot about the history of the company and aircraft ( Peter is his name) iirc they have some pics of the rapide on the waiting room wall

What a great bit of info..Thats what I like about BM. Always somebody with a really useful answer.

Hi.

In the late 1940s, while on holiday in Blackpool, my parents took me to Squires Gate for a pleasure flight in a Dragon Rapide, unfortunately, as we were waiting, it started to rain and we were ushered over to a Dakota that was parked there, to save us waiting in the rain, so we all got a rather extended flight round the local area rather than a quick pleasure flight. However, my point is that pleasure flights round the Tower were also given from Ainsdale Beach, near Southport, by Dragon Rapide aircraft and the larger 4 engined version, together with various DH Moth aircraft. This was my first ever flight in what was to become a career in flying that has included Comet, Viscount, Caravelle. TU62, B747, B777, Canberra, Victor, and of course, Concorde.

Robin.

The 4 engined Dragon..DH86 Express ? Blackpool and West Coast Air Services had one.

Thanks to all who have 'so far' commented on my post with helpful info and suggestions. I was just thinking to myself that I did see Dragon Rapides taking off from Squires gate on their daily circular of Blackpool tower when I was with my parents, but never made a note of the aircraft markings as I guess I was too young. My Father was in the ROC and he didn't either (I don't think). All that information could have been a boon now that I make scale models. Same as when I went on a train. I never noted the number of the engine, but went on to be an 'anorak' when in my later schooldays. All useful information gone forever. Anyway, enough of reminiscing. I still await some information on the Blackpool tower aircraft and feel sure that with all the knowledge there is on this website someone will be my saviour!

Regards

Weeman

I had a ride as a small boy with my Nana in a DH84 Dragon in the late '50s there and the Rapide was operating on the same day. The one and only time my late Grandma ever went near a 'plane. Deafening! but an exquisite 10mins or so. Can't help with the query, sorry, but it brought back memories..

Blackpool & West Coast Air Services did indeed have at least 2 DH 86, but that was in 1937. G-ADVJ and 'K. I'm sure I saw a DH 86 at Blackpool in 1957: probably G-ACZP although the dates are tight. It was however in storage, not (then) flying. The one I saw was at least assembled.

In the late 50's Westair had two Dragons and two Rapides available for joyriding. Air Navigation and Trading were also in the business, with a fair number of Rapides at different times. Westair's Rapide was G-AJKW (1957-1965) and G-AKRS (1960-62). Photos of G-AKRS and G-AKMH (Westair 1948-49) are in Air Britain's "The de Havilland Dragon/Rapide Family", by John F Hamlin. Plus histories of each individual DH 84, 86, 89 and 90, so there's more than can be extracted.

Edited by Graham Boak

to 'viscount806x' - That ride in a DH84 must have been fantastic. A far cry from the soul less craft we fly in today!

to 'Graham Boak' - Many thanks for that information. I will have to seek out a copy of the Air Britain book. I am not looking for a specific DH89, but it has to be one that flew the 'tower circuit' (as G-AJKW). I have a feeling that obtaining registrations of aircraft that did the trip will be easier than the colour schemes. That's the main issue with aircraft photo's from the early years when monochrome was king and you had to be a brain surgeon to afford colour photos! LOL!

Many thanks for replying guys

Regards

Weeman

Air Britain published two works on these aircraft at much the same time, but I didn't get the other one - and hence don't recall the title. Neither are currently available from Air Britain.

Not entirely soul-less, as you can still fly scheduled flights in the UK in Islanders. I had a trip in a Turbo-Otter in Canada this year, and you can even use them for commuting into and out of Vancouver.

Thanks for that Graham. I looked for the Air Britain book on Amazon. There was just one but the asking price is £59.94!!!!!. Far too much for me. However, I found an Ian Allen 'Air Illustrated Special' paperback on 'ebay' for £4.99 (It was £15.67 on Amazon!). Probably not got the same detail, but the reviews are good. The 'soul-less' comment I made was directed at commercial aircraft really, as they all seem to be the same aircraft with mods (bit like cars now). I know there are still quite a lot of the 'oldies' still maintained and flying. Indeed most of the Military airshows feature them, as the expense and security issues are meaning there is less Military aircraft present. But then again, Military aircraft are looking the same as well. Guess that's the cause of CAD design! It's good how we start with one subject and digress to another. It's a Great website!

Regards

• Like 1

Don't know if this is any good. Go down a bit you'll get a B&W 'JKW plus a load more!

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?109907-1950-s-60-s-Archive-Part-33-Dragon-Rapide

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Well I think it's time to abandon my quest for Westair of Blackpool DH89 colour or livery scheme. Emailed Westair twice now with not even an acknowledgement. But I guess that's life. The Air Illustrated paperback I got gives no clues either. Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

Thanks for the reply 'Miggers'. I Didn't think anyone would bother anymore as I re-titled this post as 'closed'. Yes, I am aware Westair are on Facebook, as I am also a member, but I stopped using it months ago as I got fed up with the rubbish posts. I posted a letter to Westair this morning as a last resort before I abandon the project. You are welcome to try them on FB if you wish. You will probably have more luck than me. I guess I'm one of those who most people take no notice off !!!!!. Once again, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Best Regards

Weeman

Weeman, I can't help with the Westair/Dragon question, but I do have some advice about Facebook's junk. If you use Firefox as your browser (and if you don't, you should, for a bucketful of reasons), you can add an add-on to it called Facebook Purity (aka Fluff Busting Purity, for legal reasons) that enables you to basically turn off all of Facebook's nonsense. You can also add adblockers that stop all those ads from showing up everywhere else, too.

Note that Farcebook and FBP are in a constant state of conflict, where Fb continually rewrites their code to get around FBP's attempts at blocking their junk, while FBP (a one man band as far as I know) does his level best to crack that code and provide what he can to make the experience more pleasant. The irony is, that if Facebook stopped, and listened to what people wanted, as opposed to what they think we should have, they'd have a larger customer base, less dissatisfaction and a smaller IT support budget. However, like the Cold War and Mutually Assured Destruction, I imagine that it's gone too far to stop now.

• Like 1

Hi 'T-21'. Now I'm confused. The photo I have of G-AJKW has a triple cheatline!. And they look different shades. You may be right with what you say about the colours on your photo, but I think unless I get certain confirmation from Westair, I will abandon this. I know we have 'modellers license' but I don't think there is any point unless it's near accurate. Many thanks for your response.

Best Regards

Weeman

Hi 'Rob G'. Thanks for your input and info on Facebook. I will make a note of your advice. However, I will still not bother with FB unless I need to PM someone, or get a PM back. I have got a bit tired of FB over the years, and Twitter is even worse! Many thanks for responding though.

Best Regards

Weeman

There's another photo of 'JKW in the same scheme in the AB book, but I think the lower stripe looks slightly lighter. I don't recall either of the two Rapides I saw having such a scheme, but (apart from the vagaries of memory) that was 1957 not 1961.