Gabreski's F-86E Sabre in Korea

Dear All

Looking for subjects to try out my new AK extreme metal paints I decided to have a go at this F-86E from Academy. I added the CMK resin cockpit. The markings show one of the aircraft used by Colonel Gabreski of the 51st FIW at Suwon Korea. My normal background is not too suitable for Korea, sorry about that! The AK metal paints are the best I have ever used.

stb%20nose%20on%201%20of%201_zpsacqbtyad

stb%20level%201%20of%201_zpsg7cjk7j3.jpg

Tail%20stb%201%20of%201_zpsoqqi26wg.jpg

port%20cockpit%20nose%201%20of%201_zpsqq

port%20cockpit%20nose%201%20of%201_zpsqq

port%20overhead%201%20of%201_zpsytcqotlb

port%20nose%20on%201%20of%201_zpstobvklg

You may notice on some photos the rivets I added to the airframe. I did not pop them out with a wash as of course the original aircraft was carefully flush rivetted.

Hope you like it?

Andrew

• Like 24

Very good model and diorama! :goodjob:

I also have this kit in the stash. What is your opinion on the kit? Are there problems or issues to pay special attention to?

Cheers

Jaime

Dear Jaime

The kit feels like a decent effort from the 1990s-2000 period. The levels of detail are modest, particularly the main wheel wells. However the shape looks right and the panel lines acceptable. I don't remember having to do much fettling so overall quite a relaxing build.

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your views on the kit. I will try to add detail to it with PE or resin AM. By the way, I also have two Fujimi Sabres, which look nice in the sprues.

Cheers

Jaime

Very good model and diorama! :goodjob:

I also have this kit in the stash. What is your opinion on the kit? Are there problems or issues to pay special attention to?

Cheers

Jaime

Academy's Sabre is not a true F-86E, it is more of a Canadair Sabre 6. They and Fujimi both have rectangular speedbrakes,

when the actual shape is more of a taper.

Academy's nose gear leg fork is a bit of fiction(there should be no angles to it). I believe the tanks pylons are the wrong 'bomb' style,

and too far outboard(should be 35mm from cenreline).

Cheers, Tony

PS Andrew; nice model and diorama !

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1

Academy's Sabre is not a true F-86E, it is more of a Canadair Sabre 6. They and Fujimi both have rectangular speedbrakes,

when the actual shape is more of a taper.

Academy's nose gear leg fork is a bit of fiction(there should be no angles to it). I believe the tanks pylons are the wrong 'bomb' style,

and too far outboard(should be 35mm from cenreline).

Cheers, Tony

PS Andrew; nice model and diorama !

Thanks for the info, Tony. I'll have to check pictures to make corrections, when I get to building the kits.

Cheers

Jaime