Spot of the day!

22 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I saw a rather nice Triumph Stag

That's another one for BLMH.. Should have used the Rover V8 instead of engine they chose and leaking problems or was it oil starvation/overheating? I forget, not sure if the idea got stamped on by Rover as they were at each other's throats.

Its a great looking car, I wanted one from the first time I saw it.

• Like 2

My Austin-Healey 100/6 didn't have or need a heater. The engine heat scalded you through the "firewall".  And the seats couldn't be adjusted. You had to redrill the floor to take a new position. I sold it to a tiny pharmacist who was so small he floated around in his Elan, so I had to drive the Healey to his house as he couldn't reach the peddles!

But if you want to talk extras, to this day half the crap on a Beemer is classed as an extra and costs a bloody fortune.

• Like 1

Saw an immaculate Lancia Montecarlo today in Banbury, and a somewhat more care worn MG Maestro.

Both within 300 yards of each other.

Karl

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

That's another one for BLMH.. Should have used the Rover V8 instead of engine they chose and leaking problems or was it oil starvation/overheating? I forget, not sure if the idea got stamped on by Rover as they were at each other's throats.

Its a great looking car, I wanted one from the first time I saw it.

There was a 'Wheeler Dealers' a few years ago that did the Stag. They mentioned about the retrofit of the Rover V8 lump. However, the Triumph engine was ok provided it was serviced in accordance with the manual and also had its radiator replaced with a modern, more efficient unit.

Can't remember if this was the one where Edd replaced the coolant with something that boiled at 300 degrees C, making it more thermal efficient, so allowing him to remove the radiator cap when the engine was running!

Trevor

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Max Headroom said:

Can't remember if this was the one where Edd replaced the coolant with something that boiled at 300 degrees C, making it more thermal efficient, so allowing him to remove the radiator cap when the engine was running!

Don't try that at home...!! :D

• Like 1

Don't talk about those car shows, there was one recently (Car SOS) where the idiot Ant thought he'd done the old boy a favour by restoring his competition Downton Cooper into an incompetent 64 Monte Replica, apparently not having looked at one photo of the 64 car either.  No the TV cretins just painted it like a works mini and stuck on minilites and arches, no roof spot.  If it had been my car I would have run them over with it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Don't talk about those car shows, there was one recently (Car SOS) where the idiot Ant thought he'd done the old boy a favour by restoring his competition Downton Cooper into an incompetent 64 Monte Replica, apparently not having looked at one photo of the 64 car either.  No the TV cretins just painted it like a works mini and stuck on minilites and arches, no roof spot.  If it had been my car I would have run them over with it!

I thought that too, made a right mess of it!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Not watched WD since Edd left - didn't even know he'd gone!

Keith

Edd only left in March. New series with Ant  has yet to air.

Trevor

• Like 1

Two Mk 3 Astras, three if you count mine. One was on a P plate and in stunning condition. Will have to check the VIN no against the number of spokes on the alloys as I'm not sure they were standard fit for that year/model. And another on an M plate, not so stunning but still going. Standard steel wheels so no wailing or gnashing of teeth over the wheel type included with the rest of the car. Also today a rather careworn Rover 100. Still think of them as Metros though.

• Like 1

Crawling around the M25 this afternoon I spotted a very smart black Citroen Traction Avant, and then later on the M40 an immaculate BRG TR6 pooling along and a then a Jaguar XK150 on a car transporter.

Karl

Early this morning (0650) Heading into Lincoln

was a BMW 840/850 Coupe. One of their best lookers.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bmw+850i+for+sale&biw=1366&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPm4-W8oHVAhXhK8AKHSXLDnQQsAQIOg

In Sheffield later, a P reg Toyota Carina. Not a classic but this one

only looked about five years old!

Oh, and a brace of new Bentley's. Hard and soft top.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

In Sheffield later, a P reg Toyota Carina. Not a classic but this one

only looked about five years old!

Haven't seen one of those in years. Saw a what can only be described as Cream of Mushroom Soup coloured Skoda Estelle on an E plate this evening on Embankment Road on the outskirts of Plymouth. Not bad condition either for Czechoslovakia's answer to the Allegro.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2017 at 9:05 PM, Darby said:

Two Mk 3 Astras, three if you count mine. One was on a P plate and in stunning condition. Will have to check the VIN no against the number of spokes on the alloys as I'm not sure they were standard fit for that year/model. 

Blimey Darby, the power of the Rivet Counter was strong in you at that point !!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Blimey Darby, the power of the Rivet Counter was strong in you at that point !!!

The satire just decided it needed an airing there and then. Just as well Rotol or de Havilland didn't provide the blades for the cooling fan. Imagine the can of worms that would open up on a 1/24 RFI Astra F with engine detail.

• Like 2

Today, on a driveway on the outskirts of Derby,

a nice Rover 2000 complete with spare wheel on

the bootlid. The reg began with the old texting favourite MEH.

This afternoon in a car park near Scampton village, a pale

blue Hillman Avenger. A rare sight nowadays.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2017 at 8:44 PM, Darby said:

......Czechoslovakia's answer to the Allegro.

Had 8 Estelles. Still got my Skoda Trophy rally car.

You'll only get me into an Allegro at gunpoint.

• Like 3

This afternoon by Boston, a very nice lightly

customized Chevy Coupe from about 1948.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chevrolet+coupe+1948&biw=1366&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQn9b_7YbVAhVLLsAKHX9QD6sQsAQIIQ

Yesterday, a Transit with Autoglym markings all over it

yet it was dirty and rusty. Not quite the correct image?

The traffic on M25 yielded an immaculate pagoda roofed Mercedes SL and somewhat less pristine Lancia Aurelia.

The Aurelia was little more than a shell on the back of a recovery truck.

Karl

• Like 1