Spot of the day!

Today your roving reporter was in and around Newark.

I saw a nice yellow VW rabbit (Pick up Golf)

and a silver TR3, not a factory colour, but it

did look good on the bypass roundabout.

I've also seen various Ferrari's and Lambo's

but they all look the same and so are not as

interesting as some of the classics around.

Tomorrow, Grantham and the Vale of Belvoir. (pronounced beaver, BTW)

• Like 1

I saw a nice series 1 Lotus Elise today. Green with yellow and silver stripes. Number plate "ELISE". :coolio:

Apparently only around 200 of them in Australia.

Nice! I wrote my S1 off a few years ago and looking for another to replace it. Can't find anything else that's such fun for the money and ease of maintainence. Getting hard to find a good one though and I don't like the S2 - I think it's already dated more than the original shape!

5980-car.jpg

My babies before I hit the wall!

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Forgot to say yesterday spots included

a late 80's Mercedes 230 CE in Newark.

That is the two door version of the C123

four door saloon. Lovely lines, but this

one needed a bit of a tidy up in places.

Today was a pale yellow Healey 3000

on the A15 this afternoon near Scampton.

• Like 1

Nice! I wrote my S1 off a few years ago and looking for another to replace it. Can't find anything else that's such fun for the money and ease of maintainence. Getting hard to find a good one though and I don't like the S2 - I think it's already dated more than the original shape!

5980-car.jpg

My babies before I hit the wall!

Nice! Is that a real 550?

Agree about finding another car that's as much fun as an S1 Elise and so easy to own. And I also think the S2 hasn't aged as well. Have you seen Julian Thompson's ideas for a modern S1?

Here I am on track in our state sprint championship. I now have the same wheels as yours, got a new set cheap from Bell & Colvill a few years ago. Also fitted some Nitrons, which made a big difference on track - nowhere near as much roll as I have here!

17968502720_402f1c1dcf_c.jpg

Edited by injidup

Nice! Is that a real 550?

Agree about finding another car that's as much fun as an S1 Elise and so easy to own. And I also think the S2 hasn't aged as well. Have you seen Julian Thompson's ideas for a modern S1?

Here I am on track in our state sprint championship. I now have the same wheels as yours, got a new set cheap from Bell & Colvill a few years ago. Also fitted some Nitrons, which made a big difference on track - nowhere near as much roll as I have here!

17968502720_402f1c1dcf_c.jpg

Nice looking car! I prefer those early wheels, but had the last of the line with the braided clutch hose, so had no choice! Was saving for the Nitrons when I killed mine, but had already swapped to S2 dampers - best thing about them.

Afraid the Spyder is not original, otherwise I'd be a very well off chap. It's actually an RSK replica which followed the 550. Built it myself over 5 years and all Beetle based.

Goes well...puts out 120bhp and lighter than the S1. I ran neck and neck at Santa Pod all afternoon with a tweaked S1...managing a best 1/4 @ 13.4 first time out.

Cornering is a different story as the engine still hangs out the back. Drifts very nicely and very forgiving when it goes (unlike the Elise). Rides nicer too, due to the 70 series tall tyres! ;-)

• Like 1

Mines an early MMC braked car, 730kg when weighed at the local track.

I also fitted S2 Billies and now S2 Nitrons. Also fitted a brand new DVA head a couple of years ago, it gets to the red line really quickly now! Next stop: throttle bodies and an Emerald.

Snyder sounds nice. I thought it might be a kit (it looks gorgeous) but didn't like to ask, just in case it was an original! I built a Westfield before I bought the Elise.

• Like 1

I saw what I can only describe as a VW Beetle van. It looked like an 'old' new style as far as the rear of the door and a blended in box rear of it. Been trawling the net for

a pic but no luck!

Trevor

We have a 'Batmobile' clone in the neighborhood. Built on a Ford chassis with a 429 inside. Very good body shape with twin blister windshield but in primer with what looks like 20" chrome spoked-wheels. Kills the classic look. Owners take it to charity events and local cruises and shows. Gives a thrill to the kiddies.

Haven't seen the husband and wife in costumes tho....

• Like 1

Spotted a Talbot Samba on the A47 nr Uppingham today.

The last one I saw prior to that was on a road rally on a "white* " near Cranwell back in 2000, it was broken down and the crew were looking under the bonnet wondering why it had stopped.

We helpfully diagnosed the problem by telling them that we'd driven (Competing in a Skoda Favorit) past a petrol tank in the middle of the road about 200 yards back. The Samba's tank had dropped off and the engine stopped when the carburetter float chamber ran out of petrol....

* for the benefit of the uninitiated, a "White" is a term used in rally circles to describe an untarmacced road that is still open to vehicles.

• Like 1