Spot of the day!

All sorts of things out when I was on my bike in the New Forest yesterday morning:

• Several nice classic minis
  • a stock Austin A35 with a mildly modded one following
  • probably a Fake Snake (looked good though)
  • Austin 7
  • Prewar Singer in company with the A7 and another unidentified pre-war type.
  • Volvo 164 (I had to look up which one had the piggy snout!)

probably more that I missed too.  Also a nice pale metallic blue 64-66 Mustang hardtop on my way back from Halfords for paint (not for modelling but for car touch-up, some lost skills from the olden days of car-ownership called for).

On Saturday there was a beautiful silver 60s Aston Martin convertible in Alresford but I failed to remember the headlights to tell you whether DB4 or DB5.

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
mustang remembered
  • Like 1

Very nice N reg BMW 2002 in maroon near to Stanstead earlier this afternoon.

Nice red Porsche 944 on the South side of Lincoln this evening.

And, on the same junction, someones back box/silencer.

I mean, how can you not notice it's fallen off?

It was a large one too, BMW, Mercedes etc size.

In Buckingham this morning a bright yellow Noble supercar.

• Like 2

Spotted a 5-door 1986 Austin Metro parked in Tesco carpark today. Spoke to the owner and his wife, who to my surprise actually bought it nearly new in the late 80s!!! It received a new front wing when someone dropped a crate on it in the mid '90s (which was somewhat poorly paint-matched by Rover main dealership who refused to refund the cost of the bodge work....), and it has had the suspension 'dealt with' a few times, but otherwise it was spotless, and looked as new as the day it left the factory. It's the same age as me!

Hope it ultimately ends up in the hands of an enthusiast rather than traded-in as 'scrappage' against a new Kia Picanto...

• Like 1

On 10/08/2017 at 8:42 PM, keefr22 said:

5 minutes ago, dark red F reg Nova hatch that looked absolutely mint - make a cracking basis for a Historic rally car...!!!

Keith

edit: ....in three years time! Thought Category 4 Historic was up to 1988, but it's '85!

Wow, a mint Nova. So it hadn't been in a ditch, or driven sideways into a stack of trolleys in a supermarket carpark? That's a proper rare car!

• Haha 1

On 10/07/2017 at 06:34, bzn20 said:

That's another one for BLMH.. Should have used the Rover V8 instead of engine they chose and leaking problems or was it oil starvation/overheating? I forget, not sure if the idea got stamped on by Rover as they were at each other's throats.

Its a great looking car, I wanted one from the first time I saw it.

The major problem with the early Stag engines was wire circlips on the gudgeon pins. They popped out and scored the bores. I know because I spent my student "workshop experience" re-boring and sleeving heaps of them, all replaced under warranty...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jo NZ said:

The major problem with the early Stag engines was wire circlips on the gudgeon pins. They popped out and scored the bores. I know because I spent my student "workshop experience" re-boring and sleeving heaps of them, all replaced under warranty...

That's interesting - I've heard of lots of Stag engine problems , but not that one .  The Triumph V8 was a typical British Leyland product though - the actual design was basically sound , but the development budget was pretty much non-existant & therefore all the problems which should have been picked up at the prototype stage landed on the customers & dealers .  The Dolomite Sprint was much the same . 

From what I have heard, the bean counters at BL changed the originally specified head gasket for a cheaper alternative that hadn't been approved by the engineers. Cue a whole load of completely avoidable overheating problems.

Somewhat less glamorous, but on topic, a mint 87 Panda yesterday in Banbury.

Karl

Speaking of Stags and Dolly Sprints - removing the heads after a few years was almost impossible. Steel studs through aluminium heads corroded in, the the coup de grace was the diagonal studs through the head into the block. These were flush fitting with a screwdriver slot to remove them. Needless to say, they were immovable. The local main BL dealer admitted the normal procedure was to smash the heads off with a hammer, and start again with new ones.

It was quicker, simpler, and cheaper than trying to use normal methods to shift the heads.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Wow, a mint Nova. So it hadn't been in a ditch, or driven sideways into a stack of trolleys in a supermarket carpark? That's a proper rare car!

I followed a beaten up one at painfully slow speed this morning - I think it was an old couple out for a leisurely drive. To be precise, I followed a Mk1 Opel Corsa, but it's the same car.

39 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

An F reg Talbot Rambler campervan in beige with brown cheatlines.

Just like this......

$_86.JPG

Jealous?

Trevor

Yes. I live in a very expensive city and this is bigger than my flat.

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chimpion said:

I followed a beaten up one at painfully slow speed this morning - I think it was an old couple out for a leisurely drive. To be precise, I followed a Mk1 Opel Corsa, but it's the same car.

I'm guessing the old couple's car didn't look like this... ?

585ffeaf98bebbc9e9bcf3ae6b3a2322--cake-decorating-young.jpg

serious question- has anyone seen a completely factory-standard base model Nova on the road in the UK in the last 5 years? They must be pretty much extinct.

Edited by Killingholme
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

serious question- has anyone seen a completely factory-standard base model Nova on the road in the UK in the last 5 years? They must be pretty much extinct.

My post on previous page? ;

"5 minutes ago, dark red F reg Nova hatch that looked absolutely mint"

It even had what looked like the supplying dealers sticker in the back window - although it might have been one put in by a subsequent seller. Dunno if it was an actual base model, but it certainly wasn't an SR or GTE and it looked bog standard to me, with steel wheels & hubcaps!

Looked much like this apart from the colour;

Vauxhall_Nova-1500-x-1000.jpg

Keith

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It even had what looked like the supplying dealers sticker in the back window - although it might have been one put in by a subsequent seller. Dunno if it was an actual base model, but it certainly wasn't an SR or GTE and it looked bog standard to me, with steel wheels & hubcaps!

Looked much like this apart from the colour;

Vauxhall_Nova-1500-x-1000.jpg

Keith

Is that what a Nova is supposed to look like? :hmmm::yikes:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

Think that's a case of "Mirror, signal, and blindly manoeuvre into another poster's comment". Sorry Keith!

That said, I'm sure I have seen more otters in the sea off the West Isles of Scotland than I have seen mint 80's Vauxhall Novas... !!!Save the Nova!!!

Will

• Like 1

This.....

35777865854_536382febf_c_d.jpg

Now to be honest I'm not sure if it's a genuine 250GTO on the A47 near Wansford but it did sound absolutely glorious when it overtook me.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2017 at 8:42 PM, keefr22 said:

5 minutes ago, dark red F reg Nova hatch that looked absolutely mint - make a cracking basis for a Historic rally car...!!!

Keith

edit: ....in three years time! Thought Category 4 Historic was up to 1988, but it's '85!

Faintly remembered reading an email from the MSA last week about rule updates. As of 01.01.18 there'll be a Cat 4b to cover 1985-90 cars. 

And reading the MSA missive it would appear you could use an '88 car in Cat 4a as long as it meets the appropriate holomogation. 

Reads as follows - "49.1.5. Historic Category 4b Rally Cars:
Cars homologated in Groups A, N and B between 1 January 1986 and 31 December 1990 excluding any 
cars that were regulated out by the FIA in period from rallies for safety reasons. Cars in Category 4b must 
comply with their Homologation Forms and Appendix J of the 1990 FIA Yellow Book and must have 
been issued with a valid FIA Historic Technical Passport (HTP), be in compliance with this document and 
the current FIA Appendix K at all times.

Reason: (My Italics)To align with FIA Appendix K in allowing cars not necessarily built or registered within the historic period to be eligible providing they are presented in a specification correct to the period."

Think this is more for stages though but would assume HRCR could confirm same for road events.