Spot of the day!

On the A10 Autobahn in Austria a Volvo Amazon towing period caravan. As is the case with 90% of caravans on this route, it had Dutch plates. Obviously still running well as it was almost 1000 miles from home ( and heading back).

On 16/06/2017 at 10:39 PM, Bonhoff said:

1984 VW Derby (Polo with a boot/trunk) in Loughborough today.

Talking about Polos i haven't seen a Caddy for years,over here used to be full of them and they were a lovely looking little pickup...

• Like 2

On a holiday last year we found a Lamborghini Muira in Maldon Park doing a discreet photoshoot!

And the other week, coming through Outwell village on a transporter was Ken Morgan's distinctive deep red Trident Clipper with all his very particular little body mods.  What would it have been doing in deepest East Anglia, when the family used to live in the New Forest?  I know Ken died a while back, but assumed Jill would stay on.  (I was a Trident club member as I had a Venturer for 18 months as my daily driver. Ken and Jill Morgan ran the club for years).

Martin

• Like 1

That's right, by Bill Last.  I was once accosted by Jet Harris, of Hit Parade fame. I'd pulled into the old transport caff at Marks Tey, near Colchester for breakfast. next thing I know some mad devil is jumping all over the car and me insisting he bought me breakfast and telling me who he was.  As it happened Diamonds was my favourite record as a kid, so I was delighted to eat on his tab and discuss tridents, one of which he'd owned at some point.

I sold it to a chap who I understand still has it in Dartford, Kent.

Martin

I've seen a couple of VW Caddy's recently.

Wasn't sure if they were worth a mention.

Forgot to mention a Cobra replica parked at the

kerb in Lincoln yesterday.

This morning in South Lincol,n just after six,

a Farina styled Wolseley in grey looking very regal.

By the Lincoln showground this evening, a model T Ford.

• Like 1

We set off in a dray wagon for Norfolk at 0545 this morning from Lincoln.

On the A15, an MG Midget, MGB, Austin Healey.

Later in Wroxham, N reg Rover 2000/3500.

Later still, A17, Ford Consul Capri, Ford Anglia.

• Like 1

1975 ish German Ford Taunus, cross between the Mk4 Cortina and one of it's Australian cousins who nicked something from Detroit . Pretty clean too.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

VW Caddy

My son had one for a while about 7 years ago, actually to be correct it was badged as the Rabbit, built in the States. He sold that and bought a Mk2 Golf 16 v GTI. He's a car mech. Lowered to the deck. Took out the engine and stuck in a VAG V5 block,  Audi sport 20 valve head and  box and for good measure a turbo  . Fast?......

0-60 in 3.6 seconds ! 3.6, that's down in  supercar land. Never had a ride like it. The far distance just appeared, passed and in the rear view.

• Like 2

This morning, out near Holbeach,

A drop dead gorgeous 1962(ish)

Bentley convertible, black on black.

Later, South Lincoln, a blue A35 van.

With windows in the sides.

probably adds structural rigidity.

• Like 1

The  guy next to me in the office drives a 205GTI- let me give it a spin around the (private road) country estate I work on today- speaking as a millennial who has only driven various 2000s hatchbacks, including a 2016 Mini clubman,  this was an AMAAAZING car! I was laughing like a maniac. I WANT ONE!

• Like 1

So good looking too.  My brother's friend had a 1.9 version and that thing left my brains behind!  I have a Peugeot 206cc with the 2 litre engine and that is quick, but nowhere near as instant as the 205, which I imagine was also a light car.

Martin

875kg vs the 1230 or so of your 206cc, which explains the fun factor! Also, imagine what happens when you fit the 1.9 engine from a 405 Mi16... (used to happen quite often, but with 205s becoming seriously collectable in original condition, and Mi16s starting to see interest as "classics" as well, not for much longer!

Best,

m.

• Like 1

M, wasn't sure of the figures, but I know how much weight makes such a predictable difference.  I used to have a Reliant Fox van with 40 bhp at best, but after rebuilding the engine it was surprisingly sprightly, entirely down to very light weight.  You could push it along with one hand walking at the side of it!

M

12 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Also, imagine what happens when you fit the 1.9 engine from a 405 Mi16...

What's the difference between an Mi16 motor & the 'normal' 205 1.9 GTi engine m ? The few times I drove a 205 Gti I mainly remember for the ridiculous lift off oversteer...!! :D

Keith

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What's the difference between an Mi16 motor & the 'normal' 205 1.9 GTi engine m ? The few times I drove a 205 Gti I mainly remember for the ridiculous lift off oversteer...!! :D

Keith

MI16 is a 16v motor that was fitted to the 405.

I had a 1.6 GTI and spun it twice on the queen's highway before a mate explained that I couldn't drive it like the 4 Mini's I owned prior to the 205.