M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

22 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I believe the usual 25% rule applies, hopefully @Enzo Matrix can confirm.  :coolio:

The 25% rule is usual.  However, the final riules for this GB are what the GB hosts say they are. :)    If you are happy with the 25% rule, then that becomes The Law! 

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

The 25% rule is usual.  However, the final riules for this GB are what the GB hosts say they are. :)    If you are happy with the 25% rule, then that becomes The Law! 

I would suggest that if ONLY one of the following is complete it is allowed to be entered. 

1: Basic six bogies.

2: Basic hull but no fittings. Tools, hatches etc 

3: Basic turret including barrel but again no other fittings. 

The suspension is such a significant part of a Sherman build particulary DML and Academy kits, I don't think more than that would be allowed on a started kit. 

Edited by Threadbear

If your building a scale other than 1/35 or scratch building something or building a non ‘gun tank’ Sherman variant then that might change those thresholds. 

Normally the GB host makes the call when required which works well. 

15 minutes ago, Plasto said:

just Don’t tell anyone you built the tracks prior to the GB starting.

Saves all sorts of heartache.

Lol, well that won't happen as I still have to order a set (hoping to find some  for Black Friday sale at the end of November). 

I do have the Bronco set, but not looking forward to those.

regards,

Jack

10 hours ago, JackG said:

I do have the Bronco set, but not looking forward to those.

Check with a mental health professional first, because they will drive you mad!! IMO, Panda Tracks are the best.

John.

I reckon a case by case basis is the way forward.....But if your model clearly meets the 25% requirement (taking into account the comments above and keeping @Threadbear's suggestions in mind) you should be OK to continue with it without needing to ask the hosts. :coolio:

On 11/13/2017 at 5:42 AM, Bullbasket said:

Check with a mental health professional first, because they will drive you mad!! IMO, Panda Tracks are the best.

John.

Given the complexity of some individual track sets for the Sherman, I think that they can be excluded from that 25% rule. Anyone who completes a set of Bronco tracks deserves a medal! 

• Like 3

Tamiya have now thrown a spanner in the works for me. I'd originally thought of doing a Korean Sherman but, since the Asuka one goes for silly money on ebay, I'd settled on doing Takom's new M31 instead.

Typically, Tamiya have now announced this

Tamiya+Easy+Eight+red+devils+%25281%2529

Not out till January, but very tempting

Andy:cat:

• Like 4

Couple of questions here.  Is it too late to join this GB?  I am, for all intents and purposes a NOOB, (nothing built since the early 80s--by now it is a whole different ballgame) .  I have a  Takom M31 (2088), and a Tamiya M4A3E8 (3600).  I'm leaning toward the Tamiya kit, as it's simpler, and I can't even host pics at this point.  Any comments or suggestions?  

• Like 1

@Patman ... Hello No you can join a group build on the last day if you think you can finish it. Just by showing interest you basically can be signed up. But i will leave that to the hosts of this build to take care of. 

You would have to have a photo upload capability. That is a key to being in a group build or doing any Work in progress. You can do a little work before the official start date but usually not more than 25% of the total parts. I hope this answers some of your questions. Since im in this one looking forward to seeing you here. 

Dennis

16 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Typically, Tamiya have now announced this

Tamiya+Easy+Eight+red+devils+%25281%2529

Not out till January, but very tempting

Looks like a great kit plus you get the GAZ jeep thrown in...

Decals or paint for the devil motif though ??

Edited by Plasto

4 hours ago, Plasto said:

Decals or paint for the devil motif though ??

Tamiya supply the mouth and eyes as decals, but I suspect they'll look better painted. Shame they've only gone with a single scheme though.

38516504801_65bf7118a6_b.jpg

There are other Korean Sherman options from Star Decals though

38516504071_8bcda7b8a8_b.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patman said:

I'm leaning toward the Tamiya kit, as it's simpler, and I can't even host pics at this point.  Any comments or suggestions?  

If you haven't built anything since the 80's, I'd definitely recommend the Tamiya kit. Their engineering is first class, plus this is a new kit.

With regards to posting pictures, you'll need to open an account with one of the photo hosting sites (stay away from Photobucket though). You can't link from your computer to BM. I use Village Photos. Some people don't like it, but it suits my needs perfectly. If you want to give it a try, have a look in FAQ's. I've posted an "idiot's guide" to posting photos on BM using Village Photos.

I believe that the faces on the front of the tanks in Korea were supposed to represent the face of a tiger. I seem to remember reading somewhere that these tiger faces were supposed to strike fear into the enemy because of what the tiger meant in Chinese folk lore. If anyone knows different, I'd be pleased to hear.

John.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I believe that the faces on the front of the tanks in Korea were supposed to represent the face of a tiger. I seem to remember reading somewhere that these tiger faces were supposed to strike fear into the enemy because of what the tiger meant in Chinese folk lore. If anyone knows different, I'd be pleased to hear.

John.

I think there are 2 distinct Korean ‘Tiger Schemes’ 

One is a ‘Tiger’ as in the Star Decal image Andy posted.

The Tamiya art work represents a ‘Devil’ both as you say are powerful symbols in SE Asian culture..

Tasca box artwork features a variation on the devil scheme

37809416244_b6b625e083.jpg

This is a variation on the Tiger 

38469184176_1b3cc38bc1_b.jpg

Plasto

• Like 2

I've never actually come across any images or reference to the full red face version that Tamiya have used. I've only ever seen that one as Taska/Asuka represented it, with red mouth/eyes on a regular OD glacis, so I don't know how accurate the Tamiya interpretation is.

It's a shame they didn't include decals for the more dramatic tiger face Sherman that Plasto posted above (colour shot below). When you get the rare chance for some colourful armour, one marking choice seems a bit stingy

38516503771_e4d35039e7_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nice colour shot Andy...

I’m with you on the red glacis. Colourful but different.  I guess with that boxing Tamiya give you everything to recreate the box top artwork perhaps they figure for the casual buyer that’s enough and any serious modeller will likely use aftermarket decals anyhow??

Are you thinking you might go for a hand painted tiger as above??

I gave in and bought this off of our local auction site yesterday.  It had been listed for ages and the price has dropped into the mortal realm.

37848504384_8c93a52030.jpg

I also have this kit...

38533817972_78a635ac35.jpg

So I’m thinking a early /late in US service build. Done as one thread... 

I might go with the ‘eyes on mantlet’ Devil scheme in the B+W image a couple of posts back.

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 1