M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

I got mine from shermantracks.com

Fast shipping and and exceptional service. Highly recommended 

The track pad pins are pretty much a minor interference fit on the connector. I have a set on my M1 and they didn’t need any glue.

You get more than enough links per side for each run. 

No idea on the bronco tracks. I personally wouldn’t buy a set of Kaizen regular width sherman tracks again..

• Like 2

Another vote for Panda Tracks. http://shermantracks.com/assembly.html Everything Plasto said. The end connectors can just be push fitted onto the pins for semi workable tracks or glued. They also sell a track jig which is useful or it's easy to make one of your own.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on the Panda tracks.  Have to say they look the best for what I need (even though I'd have to remove the trio of studs).  Just trying to justify if I should pull the trigger on them since the total cost with shipping approaches the price of a Sherman kit itself.  Paypal also isn't playing nice by using a lower currency conversion rate than current Canadian dollar value, plus they add a 5% conversion fee.

On a side note, I considered the AK-Interactive metal tracks  which are bit more costly, but then also need the burnishing liquid, so even more $.  Looking at the one photo sample, their chevron also looks undernourished.  

AK684.jpg

• Like 2

You don’t ‘need’ burnishing liquid on metal tracks it’s possible to degrease them and paint and weather as normal. You can then sand through the finish to the base white metal to depict wear and tear.

AK and Ammo et al are very adept at selling ‘Magic Potions’ in bottles for all sorts of stuff.  A lot of the products are able to be replicated so your just buying convenience.

• Like 1

So a bout of shemanmania has struck Plasto towers and I now find myself with the following...

24092007188_6ec69e4394_m.jpg

26167477209_c3c64263ec_z.jpg

24092007498_231ee422d0.jpg

37890037386_f174aa5cf3.jpg

24092007518_8127326f15.jpg37242822554_9043993750.jpg

The problem with such bounty is now making a decision what to build....

I think the M4a3e2... But I might change my mind...

• Like 1

Thanks Plasto, and yes metal track links can be painted just like you would if they were plastic or resin.  Never tried burnishing liquid and that was my reason for mentioning it. 

Have found another Stateside vendor for Panda tracks here:  http://www.mmodelstore.com/

Price is the same, but the nice thing is one can add a few other products (other than track links) to the shopping cart to 'seeming' lessen the burden of shipping costs.  Waiting on the proprietor to get back to me as their site won't calculate shipping to Canada ...

regards,

Jack

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Well I have decided on my build for this GB I just need to source some figures for the crew

IMG_4421.jpg

beefy

It's a nice kit beefy, I used the bronco 25 pdr crew in the one I built. There's a little plastic surgery, I used a mixture of miniart figure bits to make up a driver.

image.jpg

built during the MTO GB.

• Like 3

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

48 - Jb65rams

49 - Threadbear

50 - Badder

I'm pretty sure I was earlier than the 50th person to apply for inclusion in this GB, but then I came 50th in my first ever GB, the Vignette GB, so it's probably based on that.:rofl::rofl:

Badder.

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2017 at 5:24 PM, JackG said:

Need an opinion on aftermarket tracks.  There was an old post on another forum stating Bronco's T74 tracks were wrong and were really just T54E2 style, also known as 'cuff design' - which is the type I'm after.  That being said, is the plastic the same in the two different boxings pictured below?

bronco-maquette-militaire-ab-3545-chenil7175kHCYUVL._SX522_.jpg

regards,

Jack

There are some good projects being planned and good to see a Sexton in the offing as well. On the subject of aftermarket tracks, much like many of Broncos products, the Sherman tracks are incrediably fiddly. Sherman kits have been blighte for years but substandard tracks. However the most recent Tasca/Asuka and Tamiya tracks are good. I would be reluctant to using metal tracks as Sherman tracks were what were know as "live" tracks so didnt sag like Panther, Tiger and T34 tracks. Panda tracks are very good. http://www.shermantracks.com/ 

AFV Club also make a selection of tracks as well for the M4 series. Remember that many of these track sets had rubber shoes so there was no metallic contact with the road surfice. Also they all had rubber surfaces running against the road wheels with possible exception of T66 which was the first tyoe used on the HVSS.

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

On 28/10/2017 at 7:35 PM, Badder said:

I'm pretty sure I was earlier than the 50th person to apply for inclusion in this GB, but then I came 50th in my first ever GB, the Vignette GB, so it's probably based on that.:rofl::rofl:

My apologies #36.  ;)

Welcome aboard Gaz & Gav.  :coolio:

On 25/10/2017 at 11:21 AM, MadNurseGaz said:

Well, I'm usually an aeroplane builder, but there is one target tank kit in my stash. It's Italeri's 1/72 M4A1 cast hull Sherman, so count me in!

I may build another if I find something suitable at Telford, probably a M3 of some description?

Now that is an interesting (but quirky) kit.....See the review here:  http://www.172shermans.com/kitreviews/ESCI/M4A1prev.htm

If you want a M3 the Mirage Hobby kits are the way forward in 1/72.

On 22/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, Bonhoff said:

Have picked up a Sherman for this GB - a 1/72nd UM Sherman Firefly...

It's a decent kit, the weakest link being the running gear.....As it happens I might know a chap with quite a few 1/72 Sherman spares.  :nerd:

• Like 1

I've been giving my choice for this GB careful consideration. It is the first ever AFV STGB, which is a historic step, so I want to do the STGB justice.

I have built 1/48 AFVs in other GBs before now, so I think I'll continue.   In The Stash I have the Tamiya M4 early production and the Hobby Boss M4A3.  I think I will be building both as there is quite a contrast between them.  The problem with these kits is that neither provides crew figures and figures in 1/48 are few and far between.  I am busy trying to source those figures now.   I have a Gaso.Line set of four figures which I will use for the M4A3.  I need to find other figures for the M4.  Any suggestions?

I quite fancy the Legend stowage sets but I don't want to pay the exorbitant import fees...  

Can anyone provide any background information on the decal subjects in the Hobby Boss M4A3 kit?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I quite fancy the Legend stowage sets but I don't want to pay the exorbitant import fees...  

Take at look at Lucky Model. They ship Legend Resin sets free worldwide! 

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:51, Enzo Matrix said:

The problem with these kits is that neither provides crew figures and figures in 1/48 are few and far between.  I am busy trying to source those figures now.  

Try Dartmoor Military miniatures (I think that's what they're called). I know that they do British figures. Maybe they do US as well. They are white metal and very good.

John.

• Like 1

As co host of this group build can I ask if partially started kits can be submitted at the commencement of the GB? I would think about no more 20% of a kit started? I have to confess on self interest here having a few started M4 series kits!