M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

That looks like a M4A3 105mm Howitzer HVSS. DML/Dragon make a kit of that vehicle in 1/35th scale. It was a pretty rare variant in WW2 but was seen in very late stages of the second world war mainly in South Germany and Czechslovakia. It was a close support vehicle rather than a tank and was frequently seen towing a M10 ammuntion trailer. Here is  a review and an article about modelling the late model M4A3 but not with the most recent DML kit. 

http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/DML/dml6354.html

http://panzerserra.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/m4a3e8-sherman-thunderbolt105mm-and.html

Thanks threadbear!! That alot of help I'll give it a read (: and I'll have a browse at the dml kit!

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Probably grabbing at straws here, but were any of the M4 (105)'s built on HVSS hulls? It's difficult to determine from front views.

John.

John. I`m not sure. I would have to check my "bible" at home. The plan within the US Army was to standardise on the M4A3 hull with the Ford GAA engine. The M4A3 had a different engine deck and back plate to the M4 with the Wright radial engine. It is difficult to work out variants from front shots. Sometimes it is a case of working it out from theatre, date of photo and operator. I dont recall seeing a M4(105mm) HVSS but that doesnt mean it didnt happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Threadbear said:

It is difficult to work out variants from front shots.

Yes, my thoughts too. From the front, difficult to tell whether it's M4, A2 or A3. But if those photos that Ozzy has posted are M4's, then it makes it difficult to answer Joss's question definitively. Looking at them though, One may probably be post war, judging by the tracks.

John.

1 hour ago, Joss said:

Thanks John! If I may ask what sets it apart from the others? Regards

Joss

If you look in the centre of the photo, just behind the armoured filler, you can see the armoured cover for the engine intake, only present on radial engined M4's and M4A1's. I don't think there is a kit of that model, but you could use the excellent Dragon M4(105) and change the suspension for HVSS.

HTH's.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

If you look in the centre of the photo, just behind the armoured filler, you can see the armoured cover for the engine intake, only present on radial engined M4's and M4A1's. I don't think there is a kit of that model, but you could use the excellent Dragon M4(105) and change the suspension for HVSS.

HTH's.

John.

Ahhh thank you very much! There's alot I don't know about Sherman so this knowledge is very useful thanks 

Joss

Well,

Have picked up a Sherman for this GB - a 1/72nd UM Sherman Firefly...

Stop chuckling at the back - I blame my mate Ed who, briefed at the start of the Southwell Show to find something suitably Shermany and in either 72 or 76, tripped over this kit on one of the stands.

Quite a intimidating array of parts for only a couple of quid more than an Airfix M4 and following a couple of less than favourable reviews found online it doesn't appear to be as good as the Dragon Sherman.

Still, it's a Sherman and I'll see what happens when it comes to the build.

IanJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes that's a M4(105mm) HVSS. In the Dragon kit there are normally mix and match sprues so there might be the parts for a M4 engine deck and back as they are different from a M4A3. I would go with the M4A3 105 kit and change engine deck rather that change suspension. Easier. 

I have to to say that a M4 (105mm) HVSS is very rare. 

On 21/10/2017 at 9:24 PM, Joss said:

I've opened a can of worms haven't I :evil_laugh:

I've got these two photos if they are any help

IMG_20170625_111728

IMG_20170625_111736

Joss

All M4 Sherman's can be a can of worms! Ideal for the anally retentive amongst us! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Joss said:

Ahhh thank you very much! There's alot I don't know about Sherman so this knowledge is very useful thanks 

Joss

Take a look at this site http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4_105mm/m4_105mm.html It'll answer a lot of questions about the 105 equipped Shermans. As Threadbear says, it would be easier to go down the route of building the Dragon M4A3 (105) and changing the engine deck for a radial engined one. Bear in mind though, it would need an extra armoured filler on the left side of the deck.

John.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm Seems Bullbasket and i may be going for an M4(105) him with an HVSS & me with an VVSS version. Unless i work the nerve up to do the cast hull conversion for an M3 Lee.

Crossed wires Uncle. It's Joss who maybe going for the howitzer Sherman. I'm doing a Chilean M60.

John.

• Like 1

Well, I'm usually an aeroplane builder, but there is one target tank kit in my stash. It's Italeri's 1/72 M4A1 cast hull Sherman, so count me in!

I may build another if I find something suitable at Telford, probably a M3 of some description?

• Like 1

Need an opinion on aftermarket tracks.  There was an old post on another forum stating Bronco's T74 tracks were wrong and were really just T54E2 style, also known as 'cuff design' - which is the type I'm after.  That being said, is the plastic the same in the two different boxings pictured below?

bronco-maquette-militaire-ab-3545-chenil7175kHCYUVL._SX522_.jpg

regards,

Jack

Jack, 

i had a go with the bronco set and gave up after half a run, the picture shows what you get and how to build them

image.jpg

these on the other hand I have no complaints about these, panda tracks are much simpler.

image.jpg

For some reason the photos are the wrong way around.

• Like 1

Thanks Ozzy and Plasto for responding.    

Which online vendor(s) do you guys use for Panada track sets?  Are they fully workable, or only until the glue dries?  I can't tell if the end connectors are snap fit or glued in place.   The parts breakdown certainly is easier put together  Thing is the style I'm looking for Panda does not make.  Their T62 are close, but I'd have to shave three rivet heads off each pad - well only those that are visible.

pan1005_2.jpg?v=0000000001

-------------------------------------------

Back to Bronco, I do have the cuff set  AB3547 for another project , but  find the raised cuff detail is underweight, and Panda's look more proper compared to period photos.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackG said:

Thanks Ozzy and Plasto for responding.    

Which online vendor(s) do you guys use for Panada track sets?  Are they fully workable, or only until the glue dries?  I can't tell if the end connectors are snap fit or glued in place.   The parts breakdown certainly is easier put together  Thing is the style I'm looking for Panda does not make.  Their T62 are close, but I'd have to shave three rivet heads off each pad - well only those that are visible.

pan1005_2.jpg?v=0000000001

-------------------------------------------

Back to Bronco, I do have the cuff set  AB3547 for another project , but  find the raised cuff detail is underweight, and Panda's look more proper compared to period photos.

regards,

Jack

No worries Jack,

i brought a couple of sets about 8 years ago off the net, I know they came from USA that's as close as I can get to a vendor. As for workability mainly you can push fit there is the odd link that needs a dab of glue, I tend to get them in place then dab some glue around just to stop anything falling off in the future.