M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

This STGB is the first armour-specific STGB on Britmodeller.

However, it's typical. You wait ages and then two come along together.  :)   The Panzer IV STGB will be at the end of 2018.   We have armour STGBs opening and closing the year.

• Like 6

On 10/5/2017 at 23:22, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Excellent.....Many thanks!  :coolio:

Thought I might draw the groups' attention to the proposed Panzer IV STGB.....We currently need just six more names to get another armour only GB thread opened up:

It's always nice for a Sherman to have a target!  ;)

As Enzo mentioned above - the Pz.IV STGB is now an operational GB too - it would be good to have more modelers from here taking part as well. The Pz.IV won't be happening until the end of the year (Sat 15 Dec 2018 to Sun 17 Mar 2019) but that gives us plenty of time to get a suitable kit or two and all the aftermarket goodies required.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

What with these GB's lurking in the dark depths of the BM forums, I missed this 'First Ever AFV STGB' and only became aware of it thanks to talk about the PzIV STGB!

Whilst I am more than happy to take part in the PzIV STGB, what with it being more than a year away, this M3M4 STGB would seriously impede on my 'Ever Evolving Diorama' should I take part......

Should I take part.

Should I take part??

Well, should I???

:wonder: I have been consumed with building scenery for nearly a year now, and haven't built an AFV since last November, so this would be a good 'rest'.

Shermans are pretty easy, well, OOB they are.

I have a Tamiya 1/35th Easy Eight in the stash, and some figures.

... and a cunning plan.

OH GO ON THEN!

STICK ME DOWN LIKE A CHEAP AND NASTY DECAL!!!!!!!

Badder

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Badder said:

What with these GB's lurking in the dark depths of the BM forums, I missed this 'First Ever AFV STGB' and only became aware of it thanks to talk about the PzIV STGB!

Whilst I am more than happy to take part in the PzIV STGB, what with it being more than a year away, this M3M4 STGB would seriously impede on my 'Ever Evolving Diorama' should I take part......

Should I take part.

Should I take part??

Well, should I???

:wonder: I have been consumed with building scenery for nearly a year now, and haven't built an AFV since last November, so this would be a good 'rest'.

Shermans are pretty easy, well, OOB they are.

I have a Tamiya 1/35th Easy Eight in the stash, and some figures.

... and a cunning plan.

OH GO ON THEN!

STICK ME DOWN LIKE A CHEAP AND NASTY DECAL!!!!!!!

Badder

Good to see you’ve signed up here Badder. :thumbsup:

Now what about signing up for Ozzy's Panzer VI Tiger STGB here?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see you’ve signed up here Badder. :thumbsup:

Now what about signing up for Ozzy's Panzer VI Tiger STGB here?

Kind regards,

Stix

Beat you to it! Signed up just before you posted this. :P

Rearguards,

Badder.

Over the following year and a half... A Sherman, a Tiger and a Nashorn to be built for GBs, and a Churchill VII, Cromwell and Universal Carrier to be built for my current diorama.

Bearing in mind my normal work-rate is 2 or 3 AFVs per year!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I am pretty well versed on 1/35th Sherman's and all their variants if you need a hand with this group build. Never done anything like this before.

Cheers Grahame, I've added you as joint co-host.....I think we're all set.  :coolio: 

• Like 1

I would suggest for this build that any vehicle that was based on the lower hull chassis of the M3/M4 is applicable. So that will include all variants of the M10/36 tank destroyer, M7 Priest GMC, M31 ARV, Sexton 25pdr howitzer, Grizzly, Kangaroos and Canadian Ram variants.

The list in literally endless and the manufacturing variations are mind-bogglingly infinate.

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

Shhhhhhh..🤐 Dont mention all the Israeli variants/sub-variants.  Then there are the self propelled artillery. I believe the M12 and M40 sound correct but someone might know for sure ? There are some sherman chassis that were modified into Heavy duty Forestry logging equipment. If anyone has watched the History channels show on Lumberjacks will have seen one of these machines. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Shhhhhhh..🤐 Dont mention all the Israeli variants/sub-variants.  Then there are the self propelled artillery. I believe the M12 and M40 sound correct but someone might know for sure ? There are some sherman chassis that were modified into Heavy duty Forestry logging equipment. If anyone has watched the History channels show on Lumberjacks will have seen one of these machines. 

Yes quite right! I forgot all the Israeli, Egyptian and Chilean variants. The M12 GMC and associated ammunition carrier were based on the M3 Lee chassis but with M4 Vertical Volute Spring Suspension (VVSS)! The M40 was based on the later M4A3E8 hull. Both had the engine mounted at the front, the M12 having the Wright R-975 9cylinder radial and the M40 had the Ford GAA 18litre V8. Only two other engine types were used during WW2. The GM twin diesel in the M4A2 which was used in early US Marine tanks so they could use marine diesel, the same as the ships in the Pacific Campaign. And very common in Commonwealth Forces and Red Army.  The other engine was the Chrysler "Multibank" consisting of 5 6 cylinder grafted together! This was used in the M4A4 which was primarily used by the British and Commonwealth forces. M4A4 was the main basis for the famous Firefly 17 pounder. The US Army preferred petrol variants as it made logistics easier. The Diesel A2 variant was popular as the Soviets as the T-34 was a diesel tank too.

Yeah my Grandfathers tanks according to him always had “ an airplane motor in them” so im guessing he was referring to the Radial. He drove, worked on and operated everything in his tanks. The unit he was with the 706th was split of from the 4th Armored Division. He originally trained under creighton abrams himself. Then when they were in california or texas the group he was in the 37th was split off and that in turn formed the 706th. He fought in the Pacific Island hopping campaign in ‘44 & ‘45 till he was wounded on Iwo Jima. Of the Four types he drove/operated with I’ve built the M3 Lee and an M4. So it will be one of the last two of his tanks that i need to be building. Either an M4/105 assault gun or one of his training tanks the M3 cast hull. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

17 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I would suggest for this build that any vehicle that was based on the lower hull chassis of the M3/M4 is applicable.

That's the plan.....As for duties & responsibilities, can you say "Herding Cats":o

Nah, it'll be fine, a little nearer the date Enzo will create a subforum for the GB and give the hosting team access to a private section where all will become clear.....Mostly our job is to help with references, maintain morale and so on. 

On the subject of references, this website:  http://www.theshermantank.com/

& the related thread at Sturgeon's House will prove invaluable:  http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/266-the-m4-sherman-tank-epic-information-thread-work-in-progress/

'Jeeps', the author, is a top fella and certainly knows his Shermans.....I'd imagine he would probably be willing to help out if you need to ask specific questions.  :coolio:

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yeah my Grandfathers tanks according to him always had “ an airplane motor in them” so im guessing he was referring to the Radial. He drove, worked on and operated everything in his tanks. The unit he was with the 706th was split of from the 4th Armored Division. He originally trained under creighton abrams himself. Then when they were in california or texas the group he was in the 37th was split off and that in turn formed the 706th. He fought in the Pacific Island hopping campaign in ‘44 & ‘45 till he was wounded on Iwo Jima. Of the Four types he drove/operated with I’ve built the M3 Lee and an M4. So it will be one of the last two of his tanks that i need to be building. Either an M4/105 assault gun or one of his training tanks the M3 cast hull. 

The radial engine was well known for fouling the lower spark plugs due to oil draining into the lower cylinders. So they had to be run regulary to keep the oil circulated to the upper cylinders and keep the spark plugs clean. Also there was a demand for the Wright radial for the aircraft industry. That was one of the reasons that the Ford GAA was developed, and obviously Henry`s plants had the capacity. I believe that the GAA was originally developed as an aero engine but was never used in that capacity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SimonT said:

This is another good site:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/

Definitely echo that one. I use it a lot.

Another version, not yet mentioned, and probably one of the last to retire, was the M51's and M60's used by the Chilean army up until 2002. All ex-IDF tanks, much modified. I've got Greg Beuchler's M60 conversion, based on an M4A1 hull, so that will be the one that I'm going with. 

John.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Definitely echo that one. I use it a lot.

Another version, not yet mentioned, and probably one of the last to retire, was the M51's and M60's used by the Chilean army up until 2002. All ex-IDF tanks, much modified. I've got Greg Beuchler's M60 conversion, based on an M4A1 hull, so that will be the one that I'm going with. 

John.

Good choice of subject

• Like 2

I've still not chosen what I'm going to build yet. I can't decide between a couple of 1/48 Shermans in a bit of a vignette or one 1/35 Sherman. Still got plenty of time to decide yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Due to recent enamourment with a Matchbox 1:76 armour kit, can anyone tell me if their M7 Priest SPG would be as joyful build as the Jagdpanther was? V-P

Don't know about matchboxes M7 V-P, I have built the 1:35 Dragon kit that was a nice build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/10/2017 at 4:06 PM, vppelt68 said:

Due to recent enamourment with a Matchbox 1:76 armour kit, can anyone tell me if their M7 Priest SPG would be as joyful build as the Jagdpanther was? V-P

It's a nice little kit, if you want to upgrade it I believe there's aftermarket out there and I may have a few items that could be of use in my spares box.  :coolio:

Seeing as this group build is through I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question or two?

IMG_20170625_111655

I saw this Sherman at bovington and was wondering anyone know what varient it is and if so what 1:35 kit would be best to make one?? 

Best regards

Joss

That looks like a M4A3 105mm Howitzer HVSS. DML/Dragon make a kit of that vehicle in 1/35th scale. It was a pretty rare variant in WW2 but was seen in very late stages of the second world war mainly in South Germany and Czechslovakia. It was a close support vehicle rather than a tank and was frequently seen towing a M10 ammuntion trailer. Here is  a review and an article about modelling the late model M4A3 but not with the most recent DML kit. 

http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/DML/dml6354.html

http://panzerserra.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/m4a3e8-sherman-thunderbolt105mm-and.html

• Like 1