M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

17 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

PS: It looks like parts MA12 and 6 and associated bits should be missed off? As a normally wingy thing person I would call them mudguards, which I know is probably cringeworthy and wrong :blush: .

Based on your photo, yes leave the "sand shields" off. :lol:

The small triangular mudguards are what would remain. There would be no rear fenders (mudguards) at all. These were integral with the sand shields.

It appears the correct front fenders are included in the PE sheet.

The full set of shields were attached to the tank at the time it was built. US crews removed them almost immediately as they hampered maintenance. You folks across the pond seemed to leave them on longer. :o

G

• Like 1

Blimey.....Another platoon turned up, all at once!  :lol:

Good show chaps.....Welcome aboard all.  :cheers:

To answer some queries:

any definite dates yet Sarge. 

:book: so I can clear space in the diary

All I can say is that we definitely won't be starting before 2018..... Apparently the wingy-blighters have cast their collective beach towels on all the sunny STGB slots for the next twelve months!  :rant:

Also, does it 'have' to be a Sherman? Or can it be on the M3/M4 chassis, I only ask cuz I do have a new box of Armourfast Achilles' in the stash. I'd have to buy a Sherman if the rules are strict

:unsure:

Anything on an M4 chassis (in its loosest definition) is already in.....If there is sufficient demand (and the powers that be approve) I think we could probably include the M3 (& its chassis) too as they had a singular origin (Hunnicut considers them essentially an evolution of the same basic vehicle) and because frankly I doubt we'll be getting another all-armour GB any time soon, so I'd like to get as many participants as possible in this one!  :coolio:

"The Fighting Generals GB" perhaps?  :hmmm:

What is your policy on kits that have had a few parts glued? I have a DML Sherman III with some of the lower hull elements (but not wheels or boggies) glued together. If that's okay, then I'm in.

As long as it meets the usual 25% requirement it should be fine.....But keep in mind we can't get started for a year yet!  Apparently there are many, many wingy-things that need building first.  :mellow:

• Like 1

We're up to a couple of companies!  :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard lads.....I've added you to the list (Dan, I'm sending calming vibes even as I type!  :innocent: ).

My plan now is to nag Enzo until he either caves in and gives us a slot.....Or his ears melt.  :devil:

I will enquire about the possibility of widening the GB to include the M3 while I'm at it.....Given the infrequencey of AFV GBs, I'm hoping we can push our luck.  :pray:

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 8:48 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Blimey..... Apparently the wingy-blighters have cast their collective beach towels on all the sunny STGB slots for the next twelve months!  :rant:

That is asinine! Who knows what any of us will be wanting to build in two years; or if we'll even want to be modeling then, or if we'll be fighting off mutant hordes :)

• Like 2

There's nothing I can do to make it happen any sooner.....All the STGB slots for 2017 are taken already!  :wall:

However I can report that the M3 is acceptable to the powers that be and thus I have amended the thread title accordingly.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There's nothing I can do to make it happen any sooner.....All the STGB slots for 2017 are taken already!  :wall:

However I can report that the M3 is acceptable to the powers that be and thus I have amended the thread title accordingly.  :thumbsup:

Or we can all just start building Shermans (shermen?), and posting WIPs.

Been looking at what Tasca/Asuka have for Tony's Kiwi Sherman, as they are suppose to more build friendly than Dragon.  Along the way have seen the statement made that NZ used all three types of the Sherman III.  As well, looking at period photos, various track tpyes were to be found.

So armed with this knowledge, another possible candidate is this one:

tac35018s_0_1464576884.jpg?v=1464576884

It looks the contents contain the option for both style of differential housing, open and pressed road wheels, and some resin stowage.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10391418/10/0

10391418n6.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Sarge, I don't have one in my stash because I built my first ever Sherman a couple of months ago, but I said then that I'd definitely be doing another... so please include me in this GB!

Cheers,

Badder.

• Like 1

Cheers & welcome gents!  :thumbsup:

If there is the slightest possibility of getting this thing rolling sooner I will grab it believe me, but in the mean time be patient, read Hunnicutt and prepare!  If we get a good enough gallery AFV STGBs might become a more regular feature. :coolio:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers & welcome gents!  :thumbsup:

If there is the slightest possibility of getting this thing rolling sooner I will grab it believe me, but in the mean time be patient, read Hunnicutt and prepare!  If we get a good enough gallery AFV STGBs might become a more regular feature. :coolio:

Sorry, but the list of participants, my name is not correct, it reads GrancisGl and not as FrancisGl ... :fight:, if you can change it, thank you.

Cheers Sarge :lol:

• Like 1

On 08/10/2016 at 1:48 AM, Shermaniac said:

Be sure to emphasise the M3 Lee/Grant chassis as the M3 also came as a Half-Track 😆😆

Someone is bound to comment about inclusion (besides me of course 😂)

Mr Pedant strikes!! There's always one smart Aleck around when you need him....or not :rolleyes:

I'll prod Shermaniac this evening and get an opinion on the Tasca/Dragon issue for you. He has, Ahem, some experience of them and I think the odd example in his stash.   

• Like 2

I think the above Tasca/Dragon issue might of resulted from my last posting?

Yes, I have seen many times comments made that one should consider the Tasca boxing over the Dragon, even if it costs a bit more.  I've only the one Sherman by Dragon, and the fit issues did make me shelve it.  I have this bookmarked, which provides a number of hints of what to look out for and suggested fixes:

http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/Sherman Construction/sherman-construction.html

regards,

Jack

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Sorry, but the list of participants, my name is not correct, it reads GrancisGl and not as FrancisGl ... :fight:, if you can change it, thank you.

Cheers Sarge :lol:

Sorry fella.....The painkillers I'm taking are rather potent!  :hypnotised:

7 hours ago, Plasto said:

I'll take part whenever it happens but I'll probably need a reminder if its in 2018...  I have the 1/48 Tamiya Firefly in the stash along with the HB 1/48 HVSS jobbie..

Welcome to the crew.....We're well on the way to a battalion now!  :goodjob:

• Like 1