M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@fatfingers ... if i can suggest the Sexton. Its different and quite interesting and I would enjoy seeing it built in the build.

Dennis

Aye up Dennis,

I was thinking along those lines myself. Something a bit different is always good👍

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 1

Not to get on the Sexton band wagon, I built one last year a very nice kit it was to build. I even got a bronco 25 pdr crew to go in the fighting compartment.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not to get on the Sexton band wagon, I built one last year a very nice kit it was to build. I even got a bronco 25 pdr crew to go in the fighting compartment.

Thanks Ozzy,

I've read on a few sites that it can be a bit tricky to get all of the side and rear panels lined up and square. How did you find the build and anything I should look out for?

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 1

I'm one of those a******s who likes to push the boundaries every now and then.

I also like to build something 'different' every now and then so ...

Would this be allowed in the GB? (it's technically part of a sherman)

http://www.colleurs-de-plastique.com/forums/showthread.php?58290-Bunker-hollandais-sur-base-sherman

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Thanks Ozzy,

I've read on a few sites that it can be a bit tricky to get all of the side and rear panels lined up and square. How did you find the build and anything I should look out for?

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve,

i found the the fit on the sides on the Sexton better than the priest, there are guide points on the sides to allow you to line the sides up correctly. If I recall the engine deck was a little snug, apart from that she built really well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2017 at 10:08 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I'm one of those a******s who likes to push the boundaries every now and then.

I also like to build something 'different' every now and then so ...

Would this be allowed in the GB? (it's technically part of a sherman)

http://www.colleurs-de-plastique.com/forums/showthread.php?58290-Bunker-hollandais-sur-base-sherman

Sorry dude, I'm just not seeing a M3/M4 chassis there.....However if you were to build the chassis as a M7B1 or similar 'Shermanoid', I'd be happy to accept the 'Sherman-Turm' emplacement as a secondary build.

On a brighter note, regarding your earlier kit question, the information you have received is spot on, the Heller kit is awesome, best in 1/72.  Sorting out the Airfix kit is a LOT of work, but I have almost all the bits you need to do it in my spares box, they are yours if you fancy taking on the challenge (you may still need to source some decent 1/76 tracks).  The Armourfast kits are dimensionally very good as a rule, but some of the detail can be clunky (or absent).....I can probably help with that (this applies to anyone building in 1/72).  :coolio:

Here's an 'Airfix' one I built earlier:

408356310.jpg408356309.jpg

By my estimation there are still six Airfix parts present, the rest I had to replace.  ;)

On 24/11/2017 at 3:20 AM, Patman said:

Is an M40 acceptable for this GB?

Apologies for the tardy reply, I missed your post.....Yes an M40 is perfect, I look forward to seeing it.  :thumbsup:

On 06/11/2017 at 7:56 AM, Threadbear said:

As co host of this group build can I ask if partially started kits can be submitted at the commencement of the GB? I would think about no more 20% of a kit started? I have to confess on self interest here having a few started M4 series kits!

Usual rules apply, 20% should be fine.....I think we can be flexible here, there's a possibility that I may build several (four) kits, then chuck one more in at the painting stage to complete a platoon as I'm in a similar situation (especially with Shermans), but I'll stick to the general spirit of the rule, so the while the 'extra' kit might appear in my build thread, it wouldn't be included in my gallery post.

• Like 2

I have a Tamiya 1/48th M10 Achilles IIC that i will be building. I am looking for camouflage patterns and some basic information. I have the northern France kit markings. I have found IDF Camouflage for the type. If anyone knows of Italian theater or possibly british use in Greece in 1944 or 1945 ? Also were these used in Korea and the camouflage they would have worn? Please PM me or get a hold of me. Thank you in advance.

Dennis

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sorry dude, I'm just not seeing a M3/M4 chassis there.....However if you were to build the chassis as a M7B1 or similar 'Shermanoid', I'd be happy to accept the 'Sherman-Turm' emplacement as a secondary build.

Fair point, if an M3/M4 chassis is a requirement (and I have to admit that's a good sound basis for the rules) then my turret doesn't count. Similarly another idea won't count either, I thought about building a dummy/decoy sherman (one of those rubber or wooden things) from plasticard. As that wouldn't have a proper chassis then it's ruled out as well.

In the meantime a recent dose of model related retail therapy has robbed me of the £10 allocation for this GB so I'll revert to my original idea of an M4 ARV conversion, whether I'll finish it in time is another matter. :rolleyes:

The Heller kit has now been added to the future purchase list, I knew it was top of the pile in braille scale but having looked at it a bit further, it really does look the dog's doofers :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

The Heller kit has now been added to the future purchase list, I knew it was top of the pile in braille scale but having looked at it a bit further, it really does look the dog's doofers :)

You won't be sorry I helped my nephew build one and it nearly tempted me back to 1/72. The Airfix kit can be made to look good as Sarge demonstrates. It's a lot easier if you know beforehand though.

EDIT: Just been looking at the topics so far some great choices in here. Good omen for the future I hope!

• Like 1

IIRC if you pick up the Heller M4 and M4A2 kits you will have almost all the spares you need left over to fix up one of the Unimodel or even Armourfast Shermans, plus you can swap parts between the kits to model a bewildering variety of subjects.....You can do anything from a M4 (DV) through to a Soviet M4A2 'Emcha' with the bits at hand, all you need is reference images (to get the right combination of bits) and decals.

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a Tamiya 1/48th M10 Achilles IIC that i will be building. I am looking for camouflage patterns and some basic information. I have the northern France kit markings. I have found IDF Camouflage for the type. If anyone knows of Italian theater or possibly british use in Greece in 1944 or 1945 ? Also were these used in Korea and the camouflage they would have worn? Please PM me or get a hold of me. Thank you in advance.

Dennis

Fancy a diorama?  :hmmm:

An Achilles 17pdr Self-Propelled Anti-Tank Gun crossing the River Savio on a Churchill ARK which was driven into the river, 24 October 1944:

Armoured_Ramp_Carrier_03.jpg

• Like 3

On 22/12/2017 at 11:16, SleeperService said:

It's the ancient offering with extra parts I'm afraid. IIRC to flail chains are represented by spikes so it needs TLC. If you can get the newer Heller M4A2 you'll have a much better experience. Trust me, I'm not mad anymore.

Sorry I missed your reply,I'll give it a miss and keep an eye out for the Heller kit or maybe Revell's 1/72 offering,mind I've loved the Tamiya 1/48

armour seen in our RFI then again I like the size and feel of 1/35 oh lord knows what I'll end up with but I'll be along sometime!

• Like 1

So question for the admin/mods of this GB, my plan for the El Alamein Sherman has gone south, so I thought I'd ask if I could enter a build I already started over a year ago, this GB might give me the inspiration to get it finished.  Issue is, is it too far gone? Here's its current state....

25498516838_33961b3bba_k.jpg

25498504438_3b17db8066_k.jpg

39367729031_66a79c6f52_k.jpg

25498479878_5c1465b9cd_k.jpg

25498470278_66c7d0f818_k.jpg

Pic of the Star decals, I've bought for it as kit ones have yellowed.

As you can see the hull is fairly complete, but still have tools to paint and add, photo etched parts, a lot of the smaller fiddly parts adding, tracks need assembling, painting, decaling and weathering to go.  Considering buying an aftermarket 17 pdr gun for her too. 

If this build is to far gone, not a drama but I thought I'd at least ask the question.

Edited by Blitz23
Link correction

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

I have a Tamiya M4 Sherman Early Production or a M10, both in 1/48...

not much experience though in AFV!

....should I join.....???

Why not werner, a change is as good as a rest they say

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

I have a Tamiya M4 Sherman Early Production or a M10, both in 1/48...

not much experience though in AFV!

....should I join.....???

You definitely should join us exdraken, why no do both? We're all a friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll get lots of tips and support.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

So question for the admin/mods of this GB, my plan for the El Alamein Sherman has gone south, so I thought I'd ask if I could enter a build I already started over a year ago, this GB might give me the inspiration to get it finished.  Issue is, is it too far gone? Here's its current state....

25498516838_33961b3bba_k.jpg

25498504438_3b17db8066_k.jpg

39367729031_66a79c6f52_k.jpg

25498479878_5c1465b9cd_k.jpg

25498470278_66c7d0f818_k.jpg

Pic of the Star decals, I've bought for it as kit ones have yellowed.

As you can see the hull is fairly complete, but still have tools to paint and add, photo etched parts, a lot of the smaller fiddly parts adding, tracks need assembling, painting, decaling and weathering to go.  Considering buying an aftermarket 17 pdr gun for her too. 

If this build is to far gone, not a drama but I thought I'd at least ask the question.

Fantastic looking Firefly Blitz23, until @Sgt.Squarehead posts the rules for the GB you will have a clearer idea. I think we are going for the 25% rule, which means it's got to be less than 25% started. By all means come and join us with a new kit and perhaps you could build the firefly in the background.

regards

ozzy