Saab Draken camo

thepureness

Hi peeps

Being that I'm religiously attached the tamiya paints, as every other paint brand i've used has become a disaster I'm trying to find a conversion for the standard camo on the Saab Draken, I'm hoping to buy one of the eduard/hasegawa kits and want to make sure i can get the mix before buying one

Hello again! Here are some suggestions:

Let's start with the underside, since it is the easiest. I would recommend a mix, about 60/40 of XF-53 Neutral Grey and XF-66 Light grey (which is a bit more blueish).

The olive green is more brown than the normal Swedish olive green (used on Lansens and older aircraft), i would suggest XF-62 Olive Drab and maybe give it a hint of XF-81 RAF Dark Green 2. For faded Drakens, mix it with some light grey.

The blue were originally rather dark, but faded heavily. I fresh-painted Draken had a blue that was almost black-blue, about a mix of XF-17 Sea Blue and X-18 Black. But pretty fast, these colours changed, so unmixed XF-17 Sea Blue is the best choice.

However, at the end of the service, this colour almost turned turquise, so if you want to create something like that, mix XF-17 with light grey and some mix of turquoise which matches Gunze H46 Emerald Green - something similar to the colour of modern russian jet cockpits.

• Like 2

+1 for the Mr Paint range. I started out using Tamiya acrylics which I find airbrush great when mixed with Mr Levelling Thinner from Gunze and I still find them good. I also have some Mr Hobby (Gunze again) paints which I find very good too and are as user friendly as Tamiya.

My absolute favourites though are the Mr Paint range from Slovakia. They have similar properties to the Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics (which are more lacquers really) and are ready to use in the airbrush without adding thinner. You get 30mls per bottle, so I find they last well as they also cover well, so do not need multiple coats. They also have lots of aircraft specific colours including Swedish types.

These colours are brilliant. Just remember that almost no Drakens looked like that, since the fading process started immediately. So if you want to build a Draken in service, they need to be mixed with other colours to create the right effect.

• Like 1